RileyC

Collecting non-lego products

I used to actively collect Hot Wheels diecast cars (1:64 scale), but I quit cold turkey in 2007. The threat of depreciation is what killed that hobby for me, since Hot Wheels cars drop in value by about 50% from MSRP even if you leave them in the package (!). There are so many HW collectors that there is a RIDICULOUS supply of brand new 1:64 mainlines and special series cars on eBay and at swap meets. For the average HW car to return to its $1 price point, you have to wait 12-15 years. With Lego, by contrast, I can build a set, keep it in nice condition, and likely get my money back in a few years if I need to sell it. Plus, Lego Technic supercars like 8448 and 8880 have far more functionality than any Hot Wheel ever could. :devil:

In addition to LEGO, I collect DVDs and music. And kitchen gadgets (my George Foreman Grill was the best investment I ever made :)

The only thing I can think of right now is that I collect Transformers, though (so far) only the ones from the movies.

I have;

Optimus Prime (from RotF)

Bumblebee (the '87 Camaro)

Sideswipe (my favorite :wub: )

Barricade

Starscream (Rotf)

Edited by CF WeaZZel

My other interests is Meccano.

Also my other interests is Startrek, I collect playmates ships and micromachine startrek ships.

I also go to scifi fair and convention to get signed startrek photos in person.

Dan.

I used to play warhammer 40K and I had a big army. But after going to games day, I quit. I also collect some steampunk books. I love Hugo Cabret.

Edited by wmanidi

I used to actively collect Hot Wheels diecast cars (1:64 scale), but I quit cold turkey in 2007. The threat of depreciation is what killed that hobby for me, since Hot Wheels cars drop in value by about 50% from MSRP even if you leave them in the package (!). There are so many HW collectors that there is a RIDICULOUS supply of brand new 1:64 mainlines and special series cars on eBay and at swap meets. For the average HW car to return to its $1 price point, you have to wait 12-15 years. With Lego, by contrast, I can build a set, keep it in nice condition, and likely get my money back in a few years if I need to sell it. Plus, Lego Technic supercars like 8448 and 8880 have far more functionality than any Hot Wheel ever could. :devil:
Which is why you collect vintage redlines, not new ones. :wink:

I used to collect star wars miniatures. I have around seventy because I stopped for lego. :classic:

I collect old books in my native language, starting with first Estonian language Bible from 1739 and up. I collected as well 17th century maps but sold them to buy LEGO. OK when I was young I collected stamps and money from all over the world. And being from Soviet Union occupied territories I also collected Western beer cans and cigarette boxes at age of some 10 or so. I also kind of collect DVDs as I only buy them not rent. But in overall all my money goes now to LEGO.

I used to collect Marvel Legends and have about every single one of them, minus the latest 2-packs that came out, I'm in no hurry to get those.

Also got a ton of Transfomers, cherry picking from the different lines. The Alternators line has me hooked, unfortunately that line is out of production, that's why I'm considering customizing my own so I shall one day have the core Autbot team from Generation 1.

Have a bunch of Dutch Marvel comics stored in boxes, not buying those anymore because I prefer reading the English ones.

Trying to get my hands on a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle NECA Raphael, he's the last of the 4 I need.

Something I discovered recently is the SHFiguarts line from Japan, got the 2 only Dragon Ball Z figures thus far, will definately get the rest when they come out.

I think that's about it...

Apart from Lego and parts for a Ducati Monster from the road (long story)...

I have a small collection of James Bond vehicles, a few Ducati modles from road bikes to race bikes and Looney Tunes statues, Road Runner ones mainly.

Transformers! I love Transformers. They're like my second LEGO. Same appeal; it's one toy, but still more than toy. It's an action figure and a vehicle toy, but the best part is it's a puzzle. I only have a dozen or so, but I love them and get new ones when they strike my fancy (or if I find them at a bargain).

They're still sealed...

Does beer age as well as wine?

Does beer age as well as wine?

Depends on the beer (like wine). Most strong alcoholic Belgian brews age very well for up to ten years; Rochefort 10, Chimay bleue etc.. These are generally bottle conditioned, a small amount of yeast has been put into the bottles so fermentation in the bottle occur. In fact some bottles have been aged a few years before they are released onto the market. Also a lot of porter and stout get better with age, especially the imperial versions (more alcohol). Hop-juice like IPA generally don't age well since the hop flavor dies relatively fast, but some prefer them more matured/less hoppy. Personally I prefer them as fresh as possible, but still have some old bottles. But this is due to the fact that I tend to buy a number of bottles when they are available (availability for craft beer in Sweden can be quite troublesome - but nowhere near as bad as Norway).

Lagers don't age well at all.

I'm gonna buy me a case of Rochefort 10 and age those, I think they are a little to sharp on the tongue when new. Aging will probably cure that. But they are so damn tasty I always drink them before they get old. :D

I got some 15 Chimay bleue from 2007 in that shelf but most bottles are newer. I'm quite new to the wonderful world of craft beer.

VBBN suggested I should post my videos here instead of their own threads (well that's the impression I got).

My Transformers Collection

My VHS collection.

LEGO takes up enought of my cash so I don't really collect anything else. :tongue: . I do read a lot so I guess I sort of collect books. I also take photos of birds and try to get as many different species of birds as I can, I think Im at around 25 species now.

LEGO takes up enought of my cash so I don't really collect anything else.

I'm having the same problem, my army memorabilia collection is suffering like crazy. I haven't been to the local Army surplus shop in a almost a year, I used to go weekly :sceptic:

I also find myself going to TRS and Zellers all the time. When ever my family goes to town I'm always begging to go "Check" the Lego isle.

Edited by Ratshot

Things I have collected through the years:

-Pokémon cards

-Magic

-Postmarks

-Warhammer

-Fossils

-WW1 stuff

-Books about the age of sail

Well, that's about it :classic: And some other stuff like a few old coins, a necklace (out of a shipwreck) and some computer games, etc.

And of course I'm collecting 'posts' too, and this is my 800th! yeey :pir-cry_happy:

Edited by Admiral Croissant

I collect...........

1. Colonial era guns.

2. Simpsons seasons on DVD.

3. Vintage WW2 ammo, guns, badges, and uniforms.

4. Books about history.

5. Model ships.

This is also my 100 post!!!!! :sweet:

I sort of collect the Model tank collection thingy, so I can build tanks myself (out of LEGO, of course) but to no avail.