On a scale of 1 to 5  

63 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 1 - Poor
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding

Great review. When I first heard of the Atlantas set, I didn't think it would do well. I didn't think their was much going foran underwater theme in these times. But seeing a few different reviews on sets they look interesting.

I think the Squidman looks more like a Squidwoman when the head isn't showing. The bottom looks like a skirt growing into tenticles especially in the sideview this seems more apparent. Then the hair area from a side or back view looks like a woman's hair tied back turning into tenticles. I like the figure. It's too bad that it's the rubbery material. On ebay I bought the Harry Potter set with Dobbie because I really wanted him and then when I got him I was a little disappointing that his head was a rubbery material.

I updated my first post with pics. Hope it'll give you an idea.

Cthulhu really looks fantastic from every angle and with his "feet" facing forward or backward. So far, no matter how hard I try, I just can't find a flaw. It's that good a fig.

Thanks. You're right, he looks good both ways. I want him but I know I'm not gonna get the set. ;_;

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/yellost/...ews/8061/46.jpg

On this shot it looks almost like Ctchulu! I can see two yellow eyes xD

Thanks for new pics!

can't unsee @_@

I can't wait to pick up this set and great review of it! I heard at first it was 60 usd but someone else told me 40 can anyone clear this up for me? Or is it still unknown :sceptic:

Chris from Reasonably Clever picked it up at a TRU for $US42.99 so I imagine it's real price would be about $US39.99

Chris from Reasonably Clever picked it up at a TRU for $US42.99 so I imagine it's real price would be about $US39.99

Thanks Svelte! :classic: Woo! I was okay with the set when I thought it was 60 and now it's 20 bucks cheaper! :cry_happy:

You have definitely sold me this set because it is so awesome and the minifigures are fantastic now I just have to wait to it hits Aussie shelves :cry_happy:

Edited by XxX

Cheers for the review. Really digging the 'Cthulu' minifig. Want to get a murloc minifig army with these sets (for those WoW-inclined)

How much is this set, and after the discount? It's not on the Lego shop, so I'm guessing it was discounted and sold out.

This review was written a while ago, but I just have to comment on this set and share my thoughts. Why so late? Well, I stumbled across this set at a store near me on clearance for half the original MSRP. I couldn't resist at that price and figured it would be worth it since it had interesting pieces like the bones/teeth and tentacles, not to mention 3 minifigures.

Yesterday, I first built Creator Log Cabin. That Creator set had about the same brick count as this set. But it was almost totally standard bricks, kind of ho-hum really. No really interesting pieces, just a couple drumsticks and trans-orange pieces.

But Gateway of the Squid? Completely the opposite of the Log Cabin. This guy was hands-down the weirdest Lego set I have ever put together. You start by building that white…thing. Some sort of dead octopus skeleton, maybe? A cage? Who knows.

Then there's the big squid. I was a bit disappointed that the longer tentacles were a couple of really long rubbery pieces. It's for the best as far as playability goes, but I was thinking it was made of several shorter pieces linked together, which would be great for MOCs. And I have to say, the stickers in this set are the worst. I'm one of those people who refuses to leave the stickers on the sheet: the set must be built as intended, or it's some sort of cosmic slap-in-the-face to the designer. I know, I'm weird. But that curved surface was pretty harsh, and my second sticker ran off the edge a little. Well whatever, I can't see myself using that piece much for MOCs anyway.

My gate doesn't seem to work that well. One side sort of opens all the way, doing a 270 degree arc, and then the other side opens just a little. Kind of funny. The trap door at the end of the set is strange too. I had the same reaction most people had - the divers can just swim around to the treasure and don't really need the special blue key. I have a feeling the set was originally designed to have the treasure raise up out of the trap door, or something like that, but they probably changed the design to cut corners (save money) or something.

In the end, it was a little better than I expected. The squid tentacles are really cool. I may not buy any other Atlantis sets (well I want that upcoming temple set for 2011), but I really see the appeal. There are some cool pieces to be had here, such as the teeth/bones, tentacles, and seaweed. There's little chance I would have bought this set at full MSRP. I'm glad I found it on sale so I could experience the strangest Lego set ever. :)

I can't believe I rambled on so much. Time to go do something useful in the real world now.