REVIEW: 8083 Rebel Trooper Battle Pack

38 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• Poor
    • Below average
    • Average
    • Above average
    • Outstanding!

I decided to get have a looksy for myself after 2 people posted reviews! Thank you! I now have 2 BPs on both sides, and I'm getting the ARC within the week when I come back with the gift card that I forgot to bring... :tongue:

I know I've said it a million different times in a million different topic in a million different websites, but let's just make it a million 1.

THANK GOODNESS FOR THE NEW HELMETS! I was getting really frustrated over the overly incorrect rebel hoth helmets, and now they finally have correct ones! hurray!

Other than that, this is great. I juist wish they had Tycho instead of Sev (Something else I've sad a million times)

Edited by The Legonater

Two is included but one is a spare, there is just supposed to be one of those trans-red pieces attached to it.

And for the ones of you who asked where I got it:

I live in Sweden and as I said I got it from a store in the town where I live which was the only place to sell some of the new sets, at least so far. So in other words; it is not available in the US yet as of yet.

The only con IMO of this otherwise really nice set is that the Hoth trooper helmets pops off a tad too easily from the minifigs (at least from the ones in my copy of the set).

That's annoying that the helmets are loose.

I just got over complaining about my loose Endor Rebel Helmets.

Hopefully they fix these problems for future helmets.

(Warning!: This is a pic heavy topic)

I was out yesterday and in one store I noticed that some of the new SW sets for 2010 were out already. Today I went to that store again and got my hands on the Rebel Trooper Battle Back which I will be reviewing now in my second review.

Thanks for the review DarkFader.

Would prefer another trooper instead of a pilot, certainly will add 2 or 3 of these to my collection. Like the hats, even though they are a bit bulky.

Ralph

Thanks a lot for the review!

Just some thoughts about it. I think the 4th rendition of the Hoth troops should have been better. I would have loved to finally see some Parka jackets

on them, made with print on the upper part of the trouser, like Luk here

luke-2.jpg

or Indiana Jones' Willy Scott (both versions) or others. Would have been more like in the movie:

battle_hoth.jpg

Then again, colours. Come on, TLC. They have lighter arms and darker gloves, and you make the arms grey and gloves white all the time. I agree it is difficult to match the dirty white of the rebels' parkas and helmets, but white would have made it. Pilot is great with the new visor.

I know some people are annoyed by me, that it is important that the faces changed. But I don't like it. We will see if the landspeeder also has new faces, I would prefer the old ones, just to have at least some (yellow, sigh) continuincy in my collection.

The ice cutter seems nice for such a small set. Nice. Best BP vehicle so far.

Voted average.

Oh and something tells me we are going to see the almost exact minifigs later this year in bigger sets. Pilot and Hoth Trooper in the Wampa set, and all of the others BPs minifigs in the new AT-AT. Just a guess.

...THANK GOODNESS FOR THE NEW HELMETS! I was getting really frustrated over the overly incorrect rebel hoth helmets, and now they finally have correct ones! hurray!...

They look still incorrect, somehow it's even more frustrating that they didn't do it correct again.

I will buy one of these sets, but I don't know if I will go for a second, although I really like to armybuild. I will just continu using the old rebbels.

Really great of you to do this review, these still aren't in any stores near me, so it's nice to see what they really looklike.

I do like the ice cutter, but the faces on the minifigs are not nice. Especially the one with the mustache. I like the black eyes more instead of these ones with white dots on them.

I guess once I add these to the troops from the previous Hoth sets, my army will look as rag-tag as the actual Rebels. Must be wartime supply chain problems.

Thanks for the review DarthFader, this set is one I simply cannot pass up, those fleshie faces are spectacular and I simply must have another young Gordon face.

However, I'm sorry to say this but I find the points you give far too generous. I think this is a result of people the internet and beyond over not "getting" the 10 point system. Getting a 5 out of 10 is good, not great but good. 8 would mean the set is flipping fantastic and homing in on perfection. Sorry, I'm just not seeing that here, probably why i prefer the simpler 5 point system. However beyond that this is a fantastic review with great pictures and wonderful insight and I thank you for sharing it with us.

Batbrick Away! :devil:

However, I'm sorry to say this but I find the points you give far too generous. I think this is a result of people the internet and beyond over not "getting" the 10 point system. Getting a 5 out of 10 is good, not great but good. 8 would mean the set is flipping fantastic and homing in on perfection. Sorry, I'm just not seeing that here, probably why i prefer the simpler 5 point system. However beyond that this is a fantastic review with great pictures and wonderful insight and I thank you for sharing it with us.

The reason for the higher points is because i'm interpreting the point system differently that most of you others; for example to me; 1/10 means "awful", 5/10 is "mediocre" and 10/10 is "fantastic".

Great review Darkfader, thanks for taking the time to do it.

I like that they've started updating the new faces with highlights to their eyes (they're not pupils), it adds more character to them like the Indy sets. The new helmets look grand and i like the new torso prints too: shame they couldn't have spared a new print for the Officer... nevermind.

I guess as Zzz suggested it would've been nice to have printed legs, but these Battle Packs are on a limited budget. I'm happy with the new helmets, new head prints, new torso prints - that's a lot of new! Plenty enough for £9.79, as they'll most likely be.

Well it's a long time between drinks ! :grin:

Lucky me walked into a Aussie Target store today and purchased this BP. :sweet::grin::laugh:

They were only going out on the shelves as I walked into the toy department.

I'm actually quite impressed, playability is high and the rebel pilot looks cool ! :grin:

True about the rebel caps not feeling as tight as they could be, but they work. :wink:

The rebel officer is actually yelling something, I thought it was a mo with the first pictures all those months ago. :blush:

I'll vote 'Above Average' ! :sweet:

I guess as Zzz suggested it would've been nice to have printed legs, but these Battle Packs are on a limited budget. I'm happy with the new helmets, new head prints, new torso prints - that's a lot of new! Plenty enough for £9.79, as they'll most likely be.

Yes, you are right, I asked for a bit too much. I got mine on sunday and I have to say: very nice. Best vehicle in a BP so far, nice colours, nice minifigs.

Also I watched the movie the other day and I have to disagree with others and myself (...I was ranting earlier) that the new figs are no way like their movie counterparts. Wrong, here you see the guys:

canon_laser_anti_vehiculos_torre_p_fd_1.4_1.jpg

Lego just chosed a darker colour to match the "dirty white". In this picture he is really white, in the movie it appears darker.

The only thing I do not understand though, is using one of the older 1999 torsos (the bearded guy) in this set still. Who is it supposed to be? The thing that Luke is also wearing (and with him lots of the Echo base guys)?

tauntaun.jpg

But you can see in the skynews episode about Lego showing the new Luke, which is obviously the new tan torso with lighter (white?) arms. (You can check it on the first page in the rumour thread.) They could have put it into the BP already, if you ask me. Or did I miss something? Another costume?

Thanks for the review DarthFader, this set is one I simply cannot pass up, those fleshie faces are spectacular and I simply must have another young Gordon face.

Batbrick Away! :devil:

Each person reviews differently, you can't tell someone their opinion is wrong. It's his opinion even if different than yours.

I am happy with the rebels, I used to get one at more than USD 7!

But the vehicle (an ice-cutter?) can probably be designed better, the dark side counterpart 8084 seems to have more fun equipments to play with

I am happy with the rebels, I used to get one at more than USD 7!

But the vehicle (an ice-cutter?) can probably be designed better, the dark side counterpart 8084 seems to have more fun equipments to play with

I agree, it's kind of worthless but the battle packs are basically being sold as a good way to get figs. I'll buy mulitples and just use the ice cutter pieces for a MOC or something.

Well on closer inspection of the rebel officer, ah this tiger has paw in month - that is a brown mo on his face, dam it was hard to see his mouth though.

Hey playablity is what you make of the sets and you own creative mind 'Parchioso' - but everyone has their own opinion. :classic:

Another very good review, thx for it. :classic:

I got the set for 11.50 EUR and like it a lot. Three different kinds of minifigs, good equipment. The vehicle appears a little random to me but it's ok in design and function. The new Hoth Rebel design is excellent. I personally rate the set a 4.5/5.