Sign in to follow this  
Commodore Hornbricker

WIP The Making of a Fleet

That really looks impressive Hornbricker. :pir-sweet: Borrowing the 'checkered stripe' definitely was a good idea. Isn't there an easy way to break up the yellow and black a little? I don't have a suggestion at the moment, but the yellow looks a little overwhelming right now.

incredible :pir-oh3: Bow is looking very nice :pir-blush: looks very orginal and it has good desing in its own way, Those cannons in the deck looks absolutly cool. :pir_laugh2: Its looks awesome when the ship is totally finished.

Keep it up :thumbup:

Captain Becker

The side of this ship looks very impressive!

The only thing I don't like a lot about this ship is the bow. I think you should at least remove the slopes attached to the skeg(?, just under the headrails).

The skeg shouldn't slope at all, that's all I have to complain :pir-tongue:

I'm really looking forward to the rest of this amazing project, keep it up!

I have to say that it is impressive. I would put some blue on the bow though and remove the slopes. I would also consider putting some other colors in there except for black and yellow. Other than that it is really nice. Them blue coats won't be running they will just be dying with this ship. :pir-skull: I don't think there is a ship in the blue coat fleet that can match this one. :pir-classic:

Edited by bengun

That really looks impressive Hornbricker. :pir-sweet: Borrowing the 'checkered stripe' definitely was a good idea. Isn't there an easy way to break up the yellow and black a little? I don't have a suggestion at the moment, but the yellow looks a little overwhelming right now.

Yeah, I think so too. Maybe change the gun ports to a different color, though I'm not sure which one.

Overall, great fleet so far! Can you give me an idea of how big they are? About twice the size of the Imperial Flagship maybe?

Amazing ships, I'm going to have to order some hulls and try out captain green hair's technique! after all, we all start somewhere :pir_laugh2:

Thanks for all the nice comments!

The only thing I don't like a lot about this ship is the bow. I think you should at least remove the slopes attached to the skeg(?, just under the headrails).

The skeg shouldn't slope at all, that's all I have to complain :pir-tongue:

With the slopes I was actually trying to represent the curve of the hull leading up to the skeg. The bow looked too round to me without the slopes and the skeg was sticking out way to far. I might have the slopes a stud to close to the skeg so the distinction isn't clear. I'll play around with it a little.

I would put some blue on the bow though and remove the slopes. I would also consider putting some other colors in there except for black and yellow.

I don't think blue would look good with black and yellow. They really were this black and yellow. I am going to incorporate some white into the masts so perhaps that will help.

Maybe change the gun ports to a different color, though I'm not sure which one.

give me an idea of how big they are? About twice the size of the Imperial Flagship maybe?

The gun ports are traditionally yellow like the gun deck. The only other color you could make them is black (or white which I think would look really weird) and by making them black you are just going to give the whole ship a very checkered look I think. Red might work on a smaller ship with fewer gun ports but I think it looks unatural.

The new Imperial Flagship has 4 hull mid-sections.

Foudroyant (a 1st rate ship of the line) has 9 mid-sections and three gun decks plus is much bigger at the bow and stern so I'd say she is closer to three times the size of the IFS.

Venerable and Resolution (3rd rate ships of the line) have 7 mid-sections and two gun decks so overall twice as big.

Indefatigable and La Trompeuse (5th rate Frigates) have 5 mid-sections and 1 gun deck. So probably around a quarter bigger.

Hotspur has (Sloop of War) has 3 mid-sections and 1 gun deck built on the small hulls. She is a little smaller than the IFS.

I am building an IFS today and I'll take a picture of it with the other ships so we can see. I think I could probably squeeze a 6th rate 28 gun Frigate on the stock IFS hull set-up. I am going to build an EIC merchant ship named the Lady Castlereagh on the IFS hulls I have and maybe two smaller Frigates.

Amazing ships, I'm going to have to order some hulls and try out captain green hair's technique! after all, we all start somewhere :pir_laugh2:

Sounds good. I look forward to your project. Best of luck. It is true that the more you build the better you become.

Edited by Commodore Hornbricker

Thanks for all the nice comments!

I don't think blue would look good with black and yellow. They really were this black and yellow. I am going to incorporate some white into the masts so perhaps that will help.

Here is a picture of the HMS Victory on this link. It has blue on the bow around the doors that are in front of the poop deck. Oh, and I am not the photographer of this photo. Just for the Legal mumbo jumbo bit.

Somebody Elses Picture.

Edited by bengun

Here is a picture of the HMS Victory on this link. It has blue on the bow around the doors that are in front of the poop deck. Oh, and I am not the photographer of this photo. Just for the Legal mumbo jumbo bit.

Somebody Elses Picture.

That's a lot of strings... :pir-cry_sad:

I love the color scheme, though.

How its going whit those big ships right now? Anything new pics on progressing? And no i wont wish you to hurry, but i am a bit un ppatiance but its fun toait what is the next step of this mighty fleet :pir_laugh2:

Hey, nice work with all of the fleet :pir-classic: with the larger ships, have you thought about using a brickbuilt hull, just to make it that bit more realistic. like this?

lddscreenshot47.png

for the 1st rate. or

lddscreenshot48.png

hope this helps :pir-classic:

Also, what about the Renown and the Retribution for names. why didn't you use them? :pir_bawling:

Edited by plokoon 4 life!

Hey, nice work with all of the fleet :pir-classic: with the larger ships, have you thought about using a brickbuilt hull, just to make it that bit more realistic. like this?

lddscreenshot47.png

I have personally found for custom hulls, you can get a better curve by using the inverted slanted 2x3 bricks then using the 2x2 inverted slants... unfortunently LDD isnt on this comp, so i dont have any pictures readily available, but it is a pretty simple concept. On the base, the 2x3s go on the outermost studs and the 2x2s go on the 2x3s outermost studs... i think that may have made it more confusing. if anybody gets what i am saying, please help me better explain it...

I like how the fleet is look aswell... CGH/CBH's Frigate Guide surely is a good one :thumbup:

I'm liking the new ship however it is nearly as big as the Unicorn, Do not go any bigger! Don't take away my title! :pir_laugh2:

Joey if you count the guns it is only 106. I don't think that you can get any more on only nine midsections, anyway why am I saying this, your a redcoat. And so is the commodore. oh dear, us bluecoats are gonna need to speed up the shipyards :pir-look: