AllanSmith

2010 Train Sets

I like the simple crossing, it means it will be cheap and there hasn't been a cheap one in many years.

Also it includes 4 straights and no curves, a nice way to expand loops without ending up with a sack of curved rails.

When Bricklink has curves at half the price (or less) and twice the availability of straights, regardless of which type, that's a signal that a box of 8 curves and 8 straights is just annoying for thinking consumers.

On the topic of tracks the 7939 cargo train has

16 curves, 8 straights, 16 flex (equivalent to 4 pieces of track) and left and right points.

i.e the same track total as 7898

The box seems to show a simple loop of track though. Can someone with the catalog in front of them confirm a simple loop or have they done something neat with the flex track?

sorry for foto

i am new her and i dont know the rules about imgs

so i have remove the foto and post the link.

Rick is not a moderator, so you don't have to listen to him. Don't worry about it.

Folks, please use the report button and don't moderate for us. If you're not staff, you don't have a place to tell other people how to behave. Thanks. :sweet:

Now we have better images (well they are a bit better) I think this is what the maintance vehicle is based on.

488px-Mh_zweiwegebagger.jpeg

It's a German excavator.

What do you think ?

Freight loco looks great - I like the style and colours, and the collection of things included in the set looks like good starting equipment for a busy freight yard. Not at all sure about the passenger train - the smoke panels somehow look unrealistic highlighted by the red colour of the carriages, and the slopes alongside the front/back window look too chunky. However, it is prelim presumably, so maybe the finished model will be more polished.

Now we have better images (well they are a bit better) I think this is what the maintance vehicle is based on.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...wegebagger.jpeg

It's a German excavator.

What do you think ?

Given that the maintenance vehicle on the box is lifting a track panel, I'd say it's like

Buy two level crossings and you can re-enact it!

There is a great range of hydraulic tools for real vehicles of this type. The ones used here have a pair of clamps for grabbing the rails. As you see in the video, sleepers can fall off the rails quite easily, so it's best to grab the rails, which are the heaviest bit of the panel. I saw another tool for tamping ballast, so it's not just a tamper vehicle that can do it.

I was impressed by the co-ordination required (note the use of the horn). If one driver pushed his joystick the wrong way, both machines might tip over!

Mark

Edited by Mark Bellis

Given that the maintenance vehicle on the box is lifting a track panel, I'd say it's like

Buy two level crossings and you can re-enact it!

There is a great range of hydraulic tools for real vehicles of this type. The ones used here have a pair of clamps for grabbing the rails. As you see in the video, sleepers can fall off the rails quite easily, so it's best to grab the rails, which are the heaviest bit of the panel. I saw another tool for tamping ballast, so it's not just a tamper vehicle that can do it.

I was impressed by the co-ordination required (note the use of the horn). If one driver pushed his joystick the wrong way, both machines might tip over!

Mark

With that we need not just two crossing sets, but to MOC these as well tme630-1.jpg track panel lifters.

Found it on UK web site.

Now that we have a proper prelim pic , the range looks good.

The PF included is a battery box, reciever, proper motor bogie and controller (and wires as necessary..).

Sounds like the train sets themselves are expensive. Let's hope that they are available readily. TRU, Argos, etc; please stock 'em. Pretty please? :cry_sad:

EDIT: I said the train looks like

:wink: Edited by Matt Dawson

Hello,

I am new here and "I play Lego about 35 years! - trains as well (blue was the beginning, now 9v, since 2004 again)"

I just want to say, that for me, the red passenger train is more interesting than the yellow sth., because it looks like the actual trains, that are in use in Germany!

I just have a question, if this sets are equipped with a battery box - is it the big size or similar to the 7,4v LiPo?

Many greetingsfrom bavaria and merry christmas!

Thomas

Hello,

I am new here and "I play Lego about 35 years! - trains as well (blue was the beginning, now 9v, since 2004 again)"

I just want to say, that for me, the red passenger train is more interesting than the yellow sth., because it looks like the actual trains, that are in use in Germany!

I just have a question, if this sets are equipped with a battery box - is it the big size or similar to the 7,4v LiPo?

Many greetingsfrom bavaria and merry christmas!

Thomas

Hmm... -Zooms in-

Yup, it come with the rechargeable one, because there are no TECHNIC holes on the side of the battery box. On the boxes, here is the list of Power Functions parts (sorry for size, they are from Brickset):

1. 8878-1.jpg

2. 8866-1.jpg

3. 8884-1.jpg

4. 8879-1.jpg

Since it has a rechargeable battery box I wouldn't be surprised if the set contained one of these.

Edited by Legoliner Pilot

Hmm... -Zooms in-

Yup, it come with the rechargeable one, because there are no TECHNIC holes on the side of the battery box. On the boxes, here is the list of Power Functions parts (sorry for size, they are from Brickset):

1. http://www.1000steine.com/brickset/images/8878-1.jpg

2. http://www.1000steine.com/brickset/images/8866-1.jpg

3. http://www.1000steine.com/brickset/images/8883-1.jpg

4. http://www.1000steine.com/brickset/images/8879-1.jpg

Since it has a rechargeable battery box I wouldn't be surprised if the set contained one of these.

Can we get a better image of the battery box, as displayed on the train set boxes?

It is not certain that the LiPo battery is included because the price points may be too low for that. That would also remove the need for the charger to be included.

Instead, it might be a new type of battery box. Might such a box be the same size as the LiPo one and contain 6 AAAs?

Mark

I think the red train looks alot like the one from 2006 but the red color is alot better looking. The new Cargo train looks good I like that it comes with a crane and tanker car.

I got yesterday a book named "333 locomoties and trains", and I found something interesting in it:

legovsreal.jpg

This is a train in Germany as ThomasB wrote, this is the 423/433 train.

Here you are and English link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DBAG_Class_423 (pictures and description)

Other: first time I tought that the nem passanger train and the freight train will include a rechargeable battery box, but there is no 10VDC cable in this set (or it's not shown on the box of the sets). But a smaller battery box or a rechargeable battery box will be good for train fans, I think. :)

Edited by Ashi Valkoinen

I think the red train looks alot like the one from 2006 but the red color is alot better looking. The new Cargo train looks good I like that it comes with a crane and tanker car.

The 2006 white train was based on a fusion of French and German high speed trains. I found this out of a Discovery Channel doco about year ago.

By the way folks, MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL !!!!

Somebody on lowlug.nl who looked at the dealer catalog (from which the pictures were taken) said that it included the rechargeable battery. I don't know if he/she assumed it was that one because it looks identical or if it said so in the text.

Regarding the price point: somebody mentioned that the price for the goods train in New Zealand would be 399 NZD, while the old RC train was 349 NZD. Both included a (different) remote and train motor, while the RC train had a special chassis with battery holder, and the new one has a rechargeable battery and IR reciever. It seems to make sense that for an extra 50 NZD they're able to delete some (rather expensive) parts and add some other (even more) expensive ones.

I, personally, can't see why Lego doesn't offer a non-motorised version of each set, and then gives you a discount code so you can buy the PF parts in one go to bring it upto full set price - they'll hardly lose any money, especially as a person could buy it in two seperate parts...

Edited by Matt Dawson

Hello,

as Ashi Valkoinen wrote, I agree the Baureihe 423/433 train could be the "inspiration" for the new lego passenger train.

Thanks Ashi!

Has anybody an idea which original train lego had "in mind" modelling the yellow cargo train?

I was looking at all of my Maerklin and Fleischmann catalogues and could not find a similar exemplar.

Perhaps sth from the Netherlands, Austria or a private railway company?

On the other hand I hope they will include the LiPo and the charger, so I can use it for the EN.

By the way, does anybody know, if this LiPo box has a logic inside for the charging process (Load Balancer?), because if not, I fear, that the LiPo will not last long.

Thomas

Well 'ThomasB' I think I might have found the closest train so far to the Yellow cargo train.

mIDNIGHT%20fREIGHT.jpg

I'll do a bit more digging around to find a photo of a real train instead of another toy train.

That train you provided a Kiwi picture of is made by the Brush Traction company.

Here is a close up of this engine, see what you all think ?

92001_

Any of diesel...If you look very close up, you will see electric pantograph :grin::hmpf: ...

By the way, does anybody know, if this LiPo box has a logic inside for the charging process (Load Balancer?), because if not, I fear, that the LiPo will not last long.

Thomas

I believe it does. Certainly that was part of the plan from the very earliest day of it.

Tim