AllanSmith

2010 Train Sets

LEGO wouldn't just cut out a theme and not replace it with other sets. Trains isn't it's own theme, it's the City theme for this summer, without it we have next to nothing.

I'm sure this whole thing will be fixed within a month, we will get some word to what is going on.

I seem to remember something about LEGO Trains being popular with retailers in the US (I could be wrong though)

They seem to be more popular during the Christmas season. The problem; I think, is the price point. When I see LEGO Train sets on the shelf, usually there are just a couple, and they seem to be on the shelf for a long time. In fact, many times the boxes get beat up before the toy store sells them. It will be interesting to see how the Toy Story train sells with the set being tied to a license, and maybe more appealing to the kids.

I think we will definitely see all the trains sets in the U.S. and in Europe. City is just too popular right now. It's just a matter of when, but I'm optimistic for this summer.

They seem to be more popular during the Christmas season. The problem; I think, is the price point. When I see LEGO Train sets on the shelf, usually there are just a couple, and they seem to be on the shelf for a long time. In fact, many times the boxes get beat up before the toy store sells them. It will be interesting to see how the Toy Story train sells with the set being tied to a license, and maybe more appealing to the kids.

I think we will definitely see all the trains sets in the U.S. and in Europe. City is just too popular right now. It's just a matter of when, but I'm optimistic for this summer.

Hmm, I can't say for the earlier sets, but when Emerald Night shows up in my local LEGO store, by Sunday evening it is gone from the shelves.

4374785927_c927d65b57.jpg

The car on the right seems derailed ;)

But look nice, I really wan't to get those. Nice parts too.

Edited by ZueriHB

The passenger train looks a bit kiddish with its short car and the absence of doors. Oh well, it's a City theme train, not an exclusive. The freight locomotive is lovely though, and I'm looking forward to buying the cargo set as a post-dark age train starter pack!

The pantograph on the top of the freight loco seems like a strange addition, because the round plates on top are surely supposed to represent the grilles on the top of many diesel locos? It looks nice regardless, I'm not so sure about the passenger EMU though.

Perhaps the freight locomotive is one of the ones that has both a diesel electric generator and an electric pickup (so it can run in places diesels are banned for smoke/exhaust reasons)

The pantograph on the top of the freight loco seems like a strange addition, because the round plates on top are surely supposed to represent the grilles on the top of many diesel locos? It looks nice regardless, I'm not so sure about the passenger EMU though.

I'll agree on the EMU - though it looks better than TLG's last attempt!

The loco looks like a TAURUS (don't know why or how it's called that):

PK37410%202.jpg

but if you look at this Jouef electric, you see a lot of roof equipment.

8451_SNCF_co-co_40108__mine.jpg

A lot of electric locos feature some equipment on their rooves, especially some of which gets very heated, such as line capacitors (for smooting the supply) or conductor wires before the transformer. Some electric locos also carry their air intake equipment on the roof, so that it doesn't affect the sides; it also means that, if made removable (the latter only), engineers have direct access to the equipment.

Edited by Matt Dawson

I like the sets but they dont do much for me but i think they are a definate improvement to the rc trains.

just out of curiosity has anyone noticed the wheels on the freight loco, the left one isnt powerd but looks a different (notice those two grey things). Also the use of fence in the back of the first picture is intreasting.

thats just my opinoin feal free to ignore it.

thanks cb

Thanks for clearing that up Matt, diesel and electric motive power isn't my field of expertise! Personally I think it looks a lot like a yellow class 60 with a pantograph and no entre axle on either bogie, or at least its cabs look similar.

As we're seeing clearer photos of these sets now, I suspect (and hope) they'll be available before too long.

Edited by DaCheese

While it's nice to see Lego coming out with new train sets, I can't say that I'm particularly impressed with these, but they are slightly better in appearance than the RC trains. I can't see myself picking these up, but I hope they do well enough. I still have to get the Emerald Night anyway. hehe

Great picture of the new trains comming - SWEET ! :sweet:

The red train - interesting design - has an opening at either end for the driver to get in and out - a bit like a fighter jet cockpit.

Cute little train station with a more realistic platform - long !

Very classic town taxi's - also I'm wondering what the battery box along side the track is there for if the train contains the it's own pack ?

The freight train looks better close up, I'm thinking now Pacific National freight line for my Aussie country town MOC ! :grin:

Just gone to their web site, they have yellow fronted engines - but blue sides - aw well MOD time it would be - big time for me !

I'm a conformist! everyone ! :sweet:

Very classic town taxi's - also I'm wondering what the battery box along side the track is there for if the train contains the it's own pack ?

To quickly replace an empty battery pack perhaps? ;)

If you look closely in other pictures, the Freight locomotive has axle wheels on the non-powered truck because all 4 wheels have the same sheen from a rubber band as the powered one.

And the rechargeable battery? That is only more so of a confirmation that that they will come with the set. (unless they were using them just for show purposes.)

Thanks for those new pics! :classic:

The cargo train is of course brilliant, which we have known from the first pictures :grin: How dare they entice us with lining it up with all those extra Octan oil tanker cars :cry_happy:

The passenger train is a little bit nicer I would say now. I like how it is brickbuilt over large single mold pieces :classic:

My guess as to why one engine car is bigger than the other is because that holds all the electronic equipment and motor that make the train run.

No doors unfortunately and the interior is looking average.

LEGO wouldn't just cut out a theme and not replace it with other sets. Trains isn't it's own theme, it's the City theme for this summer, without it we have next to nothing.

I'm sure this whole thing will be fixed within a month, we will get some word to what is going on.

Bingo. Lego is a business, trains make up one of the most fanatical followings of Lego. They wouldn't dare not release a new series of trains to replace the discontinued lines worldwide, that would represent a massive hole in their budgets when the balance sheets are put together at the end of the financial year.

They have a plan, they'll follow it through. Nothing to stress about. :laugh:

They wouldn't dare not release a new series of trains to replace the discontinued lines worldwide, that would represent a massive hole in their budgets when the balance sheets are put together at the end of the financial year.

They have a plan, they'll follow it through. Nothing to stress about. :laugh:

Have you ever seen the entire ammount of early 9V releases? 9 in 1991 (excluding 3 track packs), 2 sets every year after that MINIMUM - so that's double the RC/PF releases combined.

The cargo train is of course brilliant, which we have known from the first pictures :grin: How dare they entice us with lining it up with all those extra Octan oil tanker cars :cry_happy:

Not being totally familiair with all the element types yet, what sets did the tanker parts come from? Or is that from the new train set and they just made quite a few? I need to start making additional cars for my Cargo Train and wanted to make some tankers.

Not being totally familiair with all the element types yet, what sets did the tanker parts come from? Or is that from the new train set and they just made quite a few?

You guessed right. The tankers are from that upcoming set. But there will be only one tanker of course. :look: