AllanSmith

2010 Train Sets

Now I might be a little crazy or go out on a limb, but does this look like something comming in August.......

snip

Our August release train station isn't all that new, this one pictured above is from 1980....thirty years ago !

(Just saw this picture in another post and thought HEY ?!?)

The new one is just updated, although not as large as the 1980 one.

I wonder what else is a rehash of an early 80's train set eh ?

:oh3: Wow I did not expect that! Yes the similarities are striking! :oh:

So our new train station is just a modern version of that?

And that is a cool picture of the motor opened up, as I have never tried that :laugh:

Yup:

Only problem is that you need a motor with a gear on each end. They're not as common.

In the articles for upgrading 12V and 4.5V motors I've read, the hard part is removing the gears from the original and putting them on the new motor without damaging the gears. Finding new motors isn't really that hard if you go to the motor suppliers, though ones with a shaft that extends through both ends are rarer. Finding them at retail is much harder.

Edited by peterab

In the articles for upgrading 12V and 4.5V motors I've read, the hard part is removing the gears from the original and putting them on the new motor without damaging the gears. Finding new motors isn't really that hard if you go to the motor suppliers, though ones with a shaft that extends through both ends are rarer. Finding them at retail is much harder.

Do you know what sort of price we would be looking at for a new motor from a motor supplier?

I knew I'd see a picture of one taken apart somewhere, but stupidly I didn't realise that the axles are driven by both ends of the motor. You're right, I expect that would be a lot harder to get a replacement for.

Do you know what sort of price we would be looking at for a new motor from a motor supplier?

I've never actually bought any, but I did search around for 12V replacements for my 4.5V motors at one stage. The company who made them still exists and still makes motors in a very similar form factor. I think the main difficulty would be dealing direct with such a company, since most of us wont want to deal in wholesale quantities, but at least the manufacturers may be able to point us to an online retailer.

As I remeber the motors themselves were not particularly expensive, but shipping from Europe would add to the cost (the original manfacturer for 4.5V was named something like Bueler).

Edited by peterab

I think the main difficulty would be dealing direct with such a company, since most of us wont want to deal in wholesale quantities

There is always the possibility for a Eurbricks order.

(the original manfacturer for 4.5V was named something like Bueler).

Do you have any idea who the 9v motor manufacturer is or where we could find out who it is?

There is always the possibility for a Eurbricks order.

Do you have any idea who the 9v motor manufacturer is or where we could find out who it is?

Nope, I only own one 9V motor, and have never opened it. I'd guess though that from the looks of them, there is a standard form factor for these so lots of manufaturers make similar stuff, and you can chose details like voltage (obviously somewhere about 9V or slightly above) and current draw, and a shaft on both ends. I have no real experience of motors but have worked in the electronics industry so my guess is based on experience with similar stuff.

I'd probably do a web search for electric motors, maybe from electronics shops till you found a manufacturers name, or do a search directly for manufacturers of electric motors with online catlogues. I think someone else recently posted that the rated maximim current was 300mA, and the voltage is about 9V (the manufacturers rating may be higher than Legos actual use to give a kid friendly margin to avoid burning the motor out). Those figures should help to narrow down a suitable model once you find a catalogue. I'd also reccomend ordering on or two to test before doing a bulk purchase. Depending on the size of the eventual bulk order they think you might make, some manufacturers will send out samples free for design and testing purposes, but they normally do this only if they think your a product designer, so you don't want to let on your not if you try for this.

It might be interesting to compare with the inards of the RC train motor, because if they are the same size, we might also find a solution to the weakness of them at the same time as repairing 9V motors.

Still no images of the new Hogwarts Express?

You'll see them here when they become available. Please be patient with any future set image(s). In addition, there's another topic related to the HP train.

I hope that in the final version of the Cargo Train set the crane will have a grappler and not only a crane hook.

And I hope that the containers will include doors to open them and some cargo stuff to put inside them.

But since these things aren't shown on the prelim pic I fear we won't get them.

Btw: Do you think that the red container on the red truck is only one big container or two or three smaller containers (like the red Lego container on the waggon)?

Klaus-Dieter

Yeah, and have pretty much all seen pictures of new trains (at least boxes). So, only real improvment would be hi-res official photos or photos of actual train (not from the box).

Efullner: the links you provided have been shared a few times before (within this thread). In addition, they don't work. When a picture is available, we will share at the beginning of this post.

Btw: Do you think that the red container on the red truck is only one big container or two or three smaller containers (like the red Lego container on the waggon)?

From the box front it looks like the red truck has one large container, but if you look at the flatbed wagon it carries a small container and has room for another... Maybe it's intentional that you can put either the large container or the small one on the flatbed.

Jamie, is it true the 8866 motor was aimed squarely at kids' trains (4 carriages 6x28), not as a drop-in replacement for the 9V train motor?

Is the 8866 motor produced in the same place as the 9V train motor was produced, or did the production site switch with the new motor?

I've found the 8866 motor overgeared and lacking torque compared to 9V train motors. This is a problem for AFOL trains and, ultimately, the take-up of PF trains in the AFOL communities.

Please would you pass this message on to the right people. Thanks.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Sorry for the delay, but it took me a while to find time to head on over to chat with the technology team. The one guy who is an expert on our motors is unfortunately away on business. However, not wanting to let you down, I asked around the department and was able to collect a bit more insight into your question.

Yes, it seems you are correct that the 8866 train motor and 9v train motors have slightly different performance specs. I won't pretend to have a full understanding of our motors' inner workings, but there could be several explanations as to why the 9v motor seems to have more torque/pulling power.

The first reason could be due to the fact that the 9v motor gets its power from the tracks. This is a rich and constant supply which can allow the 9v motor to overpower most obstacles. The 8866, on the other hand is limited to the output of a battery box.

The second variable comes from the traction provided by the rubber rings on the drive wheels. We did have an issue with a lack of friction from the rubber rings on some of our plastic wheels for the 8866. This 'slipping' issue was looked into and addressed. There may also be a difference in the performance of metal wheels on metal track versus plastic wheels on plastic track.

Another consideration is the actual motor inside the 9v train motor case is different than the one inside the 8866. The internal gearing also had to change a bit in order to accommodate cross-axle-attached wheels. This could account for the subtle variation in speed and torque that you've mentioned.

Finally, it's important to note that the 8866 motor is not a 'drop-in' replacement for the 9v train motor. It was designed and intended for the battery powered trains which were launched back in 2006. Just as the 9v train motor was an evolution and not a drop-in replacement for its 4.5 and 12v predecessors, the 8866 is intended for trains constructed with the supporting the RC battery train components.

I'm not aware of suppliers or production locations for either of the two motors.

I hope this helps clarify a bit.

jamie

Edited by jamieberard

SNIPPED

Finally, it's important to note that the 8866 motor is not a 'drop-in' replacement for the 9v train motor. It was designed and intended for the battery powered trains which were launched back in 2006. Just as the 9v train motor was an evolution and not a drop-in replacement for its 4.5 and 12v predecessors, the 8866 is intended for trains constructed with the supporting the RC battery train components.

I hope this helps clarify a bit.

jamie

I believe everybody refers to the 8866 motor as a 'drop-in' replacement as it is the same size (i.e. you won't notice a real difference if you converted the Santa Fe, from 9V to PF, for example), not becuase it performs the same function in the same way.

Matt

I believe everybody refers to the 8866 motor as a 'drop-in' replacement as it is the same size (i.e. you won't notice a real difference if you converted the Santa Fe, from 9V to PF, for example), not becuase it performs the same function in the same way.

Matt

Erm, what about the similar sized 12 volt motor: http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/x457c

Erm, what about the similar sized 12 volt motor: http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/x457c

Doesn't operate in quite the same way - you had to buy seperate electrical 'central third rail' pieces for the track. Besides which, that motor could be fitted with a central axle, allowing you to create a CO (or C) bogie or small 6 wheel shunter. Much better playability wise, not so good MOC wise.

Besides which, 12V is more for collectors...

Edited by Matt Dawson

Doesn't operate in quite the same way - you had to buy seperate electrical 'central third rail' pieces for the track. Besides which, that motor could be fitted with a central axle, allowing you to create a CO (or C) bogie or small 6 wheel shunter. Much better playability wise, not so good MOC wise.

Besides which, 12V is more for collectors...

I see. I've never seen any 12 volt trains or track in the flesh, but I was aware of the third rail from the pictures.

Could you have used this motor as a "drop in" replacement to convert the Santa Fe to 12v?

I see. I've never seen any 12 volt trains or track in the flesh, but I was aware of the third rail from the pictures.

Could you have used this motor as a "drop in" replacement to convert the Santa Fe to 12v?

Yes, but you'd have to replace both the bogies and modify the underframe tanks - 12V wheels are smaller than the modern 9V/RC/PF wheels, so if you swapped the motorised bogie for a 12V version, your train would have a very good lean to it...it might look similar (but not as profund a lean) as the red loco on the left...

3-chuggers-on-track.jpg

Edited by Matt Dawson