AllanSmith

2010 Train Sets

Now that I think back, I believe I saw those types of crossings in Germany (I am referring to the new crossing set). Speaking of crossings, it sounds like it is long time for some additional new PF core pieces. Or in other words a small or even a mini PF motor with a 1.5v-3.v battery box for animating small things like oh switches and crossing gates and what not... :wink:

And while they are at it maybe ether a mini control system or sensors! But even long cables and lots of polarity switches would work too!

Well time to start saving folks!

Since nobody seems to have picked up on it yet, if you look at the close up pics it has the black oval "Batteries not included" mark in the bottom right, which would seem to imply that it's not the rechargable battery pack. I'd agree it does look more like it, so perhaps this is the sign of a slimline battery box more suitable for fitting inside trains than the original PF one. It would presumably be considerably cheaper whilst being easy to do a 1:1 swap for the LiIon one for those that want to.

Since nobody seems to have picked up on it yet, if you look at the close up pics it has the black oval "Batteries not included" mark in the bottom right, which would seem to imply that it's not the rechargable battery pack. I'd agree it does look more like it, so perhaps this is the sign of a slimline battery box more suitable for fitting inside trains than the original PF one. It would presumably be considerably cheaper whilst being easy to do a 1:1 swap for the LiIon one for those that want to.

It means that the remote control doesn't include the batteries it needs to work, but I'm pretty sure the set will bring the battery pack...:)

It means that the remote control doesn't include the batteries it needs to work, but I'm pretty sure the set will bring the battery pack...:)

Yeah I hope this is correct too.

Edited by peterab

Good point! I'd forgotten the remote needed batteries too. :)

I've seen prices over at 1000steine.de:

Passenger train: 149,99€

Cargo train: 169,99€

(prices for Germany)

After all, that's not too bad. :classic:

Thanks!

After some XE Conversions :grin:

Passenger Train 149 Euro = $213.00

I guess it will be $200 or so in the USA

Cargo Train 169 euro = $242.00

Again maybe between $225-250

Hopefully these prices will get a little lower in the USA

Because there are price difference between Europe and USA

Not reflected in the conversion rate.

Again really good price for the Cargo train :classic:

About a mark of $100 over 2006 Cargo Train

But this is vastly superior with PF, loads of track and great stuff all around

After some consideration, I can say I only have two criticisms for this line.

Number one: the price of the train sets.

Okay, not really.

Assuming Macoco's projections as to the US price are accurate, and assuming a piece count somewhere in the range of 1000-2000, plus the addition of the track and the PF components... It seems fair.. I guess. It's expensive, but that's due tp the Power Functions parts.

Number Two: The use of this train motor.

I can't speak from experience, but I've heard they're not that powerful. I would rather have seen a brick-built truck/bogie, something along the lines of this, driven by a medium PF motor. But, I guess that's nothing a couple of BrickLink orders can't fix.

Edited by -The Hyphen-

$150 for a train! I wish I bought some extra 9V engines.

It could easily be $150 and $180, either way that is way WAY WWAAAAAYYYY too much! Even as a Christmas present. I'm guessing the station is $50 and the crossing is how much?

I must be the only one that is not excited at all, and yet I'm supposed to be a great train fan...

From a train & structures design point of view, I almost think that none of these are better than the RC train sets.

The cargo train has great vagons for sure, and two small cars in one wagon is much better than the usual one.

The locomotive is ok, but not top notch, certainly less beautiful than the previous RC freighter.

The crane is ok, but actually very simple to build. We've had already 4-5 cranes like this at least in construction and harbour sets.

The truck is a nice addition but also raises the price by a good 25-30e...

The passenger train is ok, but only slightly better than the RC passenger train, with which it shares a few problems.

Of course it's a better brick-built front, but that's where the improvements end (although there is good hope for the interiors).

The RC had a better colour scheme (although that's very subjective).

The train station is quite bad. The overpass is bigger than it should be while the actual station is very small, which isn't generally bad (I prefer reasonably-sized village stations that big ones) but it's also very blunt and simplified. The taxi is horrible.

The crossing itself is really really simple, no structure whatsoever. The track-repair vehicle is nice. However this in no way can cost 40e, it should be 25-30e.

What is really quite a good idea is the inclusion of the flexi-track in both trains. This should provide some good help to design a layout, although the sets don't have an amount of track pieces that allows for too much variation.

As far as I know, PF is generally much better than RC as a system, so that's good. But I would have preferred the PF motorization system to be sold separately, and the trains be unmotorized. That's easily 50e price difference, but I guess TLG knows better what's convenient... Still in the case of RC trains I've seen them gathering dust on the shelf for a year until the prices dropped and dropped (when I bought the deluxe cargo train it was already 77e, and later it went down to 69e!), meaning that very simply people weren't willing to shell out 150-170e for their kids. But let's see, maybe now that we're getting out of the crises tunnel, everyone will go on a shopping spree...

As for myself, I don't think I'll buy any of these sets, unless I'm really lucky to find the trains down below the three digits (unlikely, as I was lucky once already).

Absolutely utterly not. The correct Lego conversion is 1e = 1$. We european just get the shaft. So the most likely prices in US will be ~150$ and ~170$ or even less. Good for you :classic:

Edited by Legoist

I must be the only one that is not excited at all, and yet I'm supposed to be a great train fan...

Still in the case of RC trains I've seen them gathering dust on the shelf for a year until the prices dropped and dropped (when I bought the deluxe cargo train it was already 77e, and later it went down to 69e!), meaning that very simply people weren't willing to shell out 150-170e for their kids. But let's see, maybe now that we're getting out of the crises tunnel, everyone will go on a shopping spree...

Well, I'm also not so excited about the new train sets, and I'm also not going to buy any of those new sets. So you're not alone.

I have to say you must've been very fortunate if you got the RC cargo train so cheap! I'm not a fan of the RC sets either, but if I had seen that set so cheap, I would've bought it!

Edited by legotrainfan

I'm just going to buy the train station so I can connect it to the one from 2007 (which is in the mail till Monday... :cry_sad:) . I'm sure they will complement each other very well.

Now that we have seen the train sets in the flesh, some more news.

7936 $NZ 39.99

7937 $NZ 99.99

7938 $NZ 299.99

7939 $NZ 399.99

So using XE.com

7936 $US 29

7937 $US 72

7938 $US 218

7939 $US 290

But I suspect that the USA prices will be lower than the conversion rate above.

I have to say you must've been very fortunate if you got the RC cargo train so cheap! I'm not a fan of the RC sets either, but if I had seen that set so cheap, I would've bought it!

Indeed I was. I was tempted to buy a second box when 2 weeks later it went down to 69e! And probably I should have :tongue: Unfortunately the bad side of it was that the reason behind the huge discount was that the shop chain had decided to downsize their Lego shelves to 1/5 and never had any good deal anymore since then :sceptic:

Absolutely utterly not. The correct Lego conversion is 1e = 1$. We european just get the shaft. So the most likely prices in US will be ~150$ and ~170$ or even less. Good for you :classic:

:classic: and :sad:

Happy they will be cheaper than I thought but sad that LEGO rips Europe off

Which I believe is nothing new, after reading some threads in the Embassy

Hopefully one day there will be equal LEGO prices for all :sweet:

I'm just going to buy the train station so I can connect it to the one from 2007 (which is in the mail till Monday... :cry_sad:) . I'm sure they will complement each other very well.

Sadly 'Legoliner Pilot' you will have to blend the red of the 2010 with the yellow of the 2007 some how, but the platform comes as three parts, the seating area, the snack bar and the actual platform for boarding the train. But this should work with a lot of hard work, would love to see the end result though. Good luck. :classic:

Thanks!

Hopefully these prices will get a little lower in the USA

Because there are price difference between Europe and USA

Not reflected in the conversion rate.

Again really good price for the Cargo train :classic:

About a mark of $100 over 2006 Cargo Train

But this is vastly superior with PF, loads of track and great stuff all around

Passenger train will be $119.99; cargo $149.99.

-The Hyphen-,

Well I am not sure it is that exact motor. The same chassis idea yes, but if you got back and examine the picture more closely, there is clearly a cable attached to it, not something that has been shown before. Just my two cents.

A kind word 'Gcarstensen', watermarked photos or one's not made official yet, the moderators do not like these posted.

Any way have a happy new year.

After some consideration, I can say I only have two criticisms for this line.

Number Two: The use of this train motor.

I can't speak from experience, but I've heard they're not that powerful.

They are recommended to pull about four cars, according to Lego, so you are correct about them being a bit weak. However they are also cheap, so buying an extra one and a wire for it would be an easy way to double your pulling power.

If you do decide to use a brick built version, consider the XL motor rather than the medium one if you have the room, it's much more powerfull.

Edited by peterab

Passenger train will be $119.99; cargo $149.99.

You know this as an established fact? Dealer Catalog perhaps? :tongue:

Thanks for the info!

Awesome Prices!!! The cargo is a steal at the price, considering everything you get!

Now for sure I am buying it! :cry_happy:

Save your pennies, don't waste them on the Passenger :tongue:

I agree with 'Macoco' the cargo train set is far better at the moment thanks to a nice semi in it and good rolling stock too.

For me the station and crossing sets are a YES for the shopping list, the cargo train only if my money stretches this year.

Now that station is perfect for country towns - small and practical !

The crossing - simple, but to PF it, I will think hard about it - maybe 2x2 micro motor bricks (but they are heavy in the $ area).

Stop speculating on prices!!! Unless we have any solid evidence of the prices, we'll be disappointed. As Jamie Berard said after I interviewed him, price speculation is usually wrong, and it makes TLG look bad, so keep the speculation down! :tongue:

Is it just me or do the new trains have 3 wheeled bogies?

I think it's just you. :tongue: I agree that they look like they might be 3 wheeled bogies, but on closer inspection, the cargo train has that black minifig head piece between 2 wheels, and the passenger train has 2 wheels on the bogie, but the shadow makes it appear there is a third. :classic: