Razgriz

Lego 7239 Fire Truck review

Indexed

Introduction

Hi guys. This is my first review. It's one of the few sets I have that is not already listed under the review index, so hopefully this will be good and you can all enjoy in this fire truck. The others I'm afraid I have yet to discover in the huge pile of lego sitting in the middle of my bedroom.

Name: Lego Fire Truck and Boat

Theme: CITY

Year: 2005

Pieces: 214

Minifigs: 2

Price: £13.49

Review

Traffic in Brickago has come to a stand still as there has been a fire! Sadly there are no fire departments in the area, so a new fire engine has to be built on site! The construction crews block off the road and set to work creating a fire engine.

DSC00548.jpg

We begin with the front of the box. Its a pretty big one, with plenty of pieces in it. The picture looks exiting with plenty going on.

DSC00550.jpg

The back of the box shows all the various items that come with the fire engine, all its working parts and so forth. From the box alone it looks like a set I would give one glance to and want it. And for £13 its not too bad either. Two Mini Figs, a boat, a big truck and a trailer.

DSC00554.jpg

After opening the box, we see all the bags numbered, plenty of pieces, three instruction booklets (that could have easily been one) a grey boat, some ladders, a hose and a leaflet with a few inspirational ideas to do with the kit once you get bored of the original design.

Photo-0020-1.jpg

Construction was pretty straight forward. Good variety of pieces, missed a few here and there but it was easy to go back and add to later on.

DSC00565.jpg

DSC00566.jpg

The actual truck part is the main build, its a good, solid truck. 6 wheels, nice big cab, two doors on either side which open to reveal a box which fire fighting equipment can be put in. Axe, Helmet, Breathing aperatus. The driver can be put in easily, but you need to take the roof off first.

DSC00555.jpg

DSC00556.jpg

Built up, I think the truck looks fantastic. Its big, carries plenty of little extras, the ladder will not spin or fly around until you deploy the two little balanceing sticks on either side. The ladder also stays up right by another stick and a series of indentations that the stick falls in, stopping the ladder from going down once raised.

DSC00557.jpg

DSC00558.jpg

The Minifigs are pretty cool. One of them has a bum chin, the other a beard. One has yellow hands, the other silver. Similarly there is one white hat, and one silver. Not sure why exactly...

There is a bucket on the end of the ladder for the fireman to stand in, either to retrive a trapped person, or take the hose up with him to spray water. The boat is grey, I think it should be a bit brighter, It has a life jacket for anyone being rescued from the water, or the firemen, but unlike the yellow ones that you place on a model, this is just a flat orange piece with a sticker of a life jacket.

DSC00559.jpg

DSC00562.jpg

DSC00563.jpg

DSC00564.jpg

Playability: 9/10 - There is loads to do with this set. For a start its a fire engine, the excuse to go "NEEE NAAA NEEE NAAA" alone is reason enough to buy it. You get a ladder for reaching high places, a boat for the river, plenty of fire extinguishers and axes and radio's to kit out your mini figs with.

Presentation: 7/10 - the Box is great, but I feel a little big. The instruction books as well seem far to small to be seperate. For a whole fire stations or equally big consturction, this would be good, but for something that takes half an hour or so to build, three different books seems like over kill.

Building: 8/10 - Loads of different pieces, nothing too tricky, good variety of bricks for when you need to re-assemble it. There are a few stickers, but none of them are to hard to put on or look totaly out of palce

Overall I think this a great set. 8/10

Edited by Razgriz

Awesome set. I love all the features in this, I wish I got it though :cry_sad: Good review, although the pics could be better :classic:

Thanks for a great review, 'Razgriz'. :thumbup::classic:

It's no wonder that after 5 years this is still available from Lego - it's one of the best Fire sets in general ever !

Perfect rescue truck !

Mine sadly has been sat on by my dog and is currently in many pieces, tossing up a rebuild or to MOC a new rescue truck.

Anyway, again great review ! :thumbup::classic:

This is a really good set. Although, I don't really like the design because it isn't very realistic, it has a pretty good and useful piece selection. I got two at €15 each a few years back. Good that some 2005 designs are still being produced. This one (together with 7241 Fire car) even appears in the 2010 catalog again.

Good review, though a simpler background would have given you more focus on the pictures. Try using a large A1 piece of card or something to hide the background as I did here for my Train Set...

09112009417.jpg

Looks like a nice set but I'm sorry to say your pictures are very blurry and it's hard to make out the features of the set. Overall I thought the text portion of the review was pretty good though.

An excellent set!

This is probably the best fire truck TLG has ever released till now. I got mine last year and I highly recommend it to everyone.

A strange think though. When I finished building it, there was NO extra pieces left. Not even one! Given the piece count (214 pcs) and the size of the set, it seemed very strange to me. Has anybody else experienced something similar with his/hers copy?

Thanks for the review Razgriz!

A strange think though. When I finished building it, there was NO extra pieces left. Not even one! Given the piece count (214 pcs) and the size of the set, it seemed very strange to me. Has anybody else experienced something similar with his/hers copy?

The trans-'smoke' visor was the only double in both my sets. According to Bricklink, there are extra cheese slopes as well, but I guess that only applies to more recent sets than mine, since nowadays sets with cheese slopes contain an extra for each.

Apologies for the bad quality photos, my brother has taken my good digital camera on holiday with him, for now I'm left with one that is so out-dated and has been dropped numerous times. When he returns I shall take some better photos.

And again apologies for the red on red colours. My desk is filled with Univeristy work, and my Drawing board is filled with half painted Tyranids! Only space I have in the house is my floor.

But yeah, soon as I get my good camera back I will update the photos.

The trans-'smoke' visor was the only double in both my sets. According to Bricklink, there are extra cheese slopes as well, but I guess that only applies to more recent sets than mine, since nowadays sets with cheese slopes contain an extra for each.

That's odd... Even the visor was not an extra for me. About Bricklink, it says that there is also an extra dark bluish vehicle base. :wacko:

Anyway, at least I'll have a story to tell to my grandchildren about the no-extra pieces. :grin:

As others said, good review, not so good pictures!

Set is nice, imo.

Wow, how many Santas is on this page, lol

My Brother has returned my regular camera to me, so I have updated the photo's of the Fire Truck.

Also, I have managed to find all my pieces for my old fire truck, the 6358 Snorkel Squad.

DSC00567.jpg

As you can see Snorkel Squad truck is quite a bit longer than the newer one, yet it is only 4 studs wide, and tiny in the hieght comparison.

DSC00568.jpg

DSC00570.jpg

The ladder on SS is also slightly taller than that of the new one as well. Only slightly. Both of them have hoses which reach up to the top, as well as a basket for the fire men to stand in. The new Fire Truck is much more user friendly though.

Both should look great in any fire station

I wish I had a fire station :(

Bump....

The pictures originally in this review are no longer up so I was wondering if anyone else had a review/opinion/pics of this set? It retails for $30 here in Canada but right now there's a 20% off coupon I can use and was considering this set.