Sign in to follow this  
knuclear200x

Did anyone like the old/early Bionicles?

I remember back in the day, the old Bionicles always had this swivel action feature that made posing so inconvenient. At the time, i still had an appreciation for figures that had the advertised x points of articulation, like Marvel Legends. And then some of the ones that didnt use it, were too short especially the impulse lines and the arms and legs were pre-bent, and their shoulders would sorta show they have no neck...so i never bought one again. until i discovered Toa Lewa i started getting into them and regretting missing some of the previous lines.

But what about you? how did you feel about bionicle before. or did you never hate it?

Who can't miss good ol' Tahu?

But Pohatu was a pain to pose because of the kicking foot... at first. Then I put that gear piece like in Pohatu Nuva :tongue:

With playability, they are by far inferior to the later sets. But they did have a very distinct sense of uniqueness back then, which is lost now.

I had a bionicle fase, but that's a long time ago. To me those pieces are to limiting. Ive seen people make lovely lovely things with the beonicle parts. But I just can't work with them!

I loved the designs of the early masks (I like the current ones too, but in a different way, and less so), and while the sets themselves had nice ideas and were unique, they weren't as fun to play with as the current ones, and a lot of them didn't look as good either, despite the amazing Kanohi of 2001.

Bohrok were the bestest ever.

:D yes they were! you could roll them up into a little ball, make them lunge out with their freakishly large heads, switch out their uber-creepy Kraana, hang them from the top of their canisters... good times, good times. I miss villians as original as them and the Rahi. The Rahkshi were good, and the visorak were okay, but the rest were just too similar to the Toa characters to be much fun.

As for the original Bionicles, I loved them. Then the Metru came out, and I thought that the Nuva and Mata were kind of limiting because they didn't have knees and elbows. And then the Inika came out, and I thought that the Metru were limiting because they didn't look as cool as the Nuva and Mata and their knees and elbows weren't very good and they still had the obnoxious gear system. So yeah, I ended up liking the Inika build (in any of its incarnations) the best as far as playability, and the Nuva the best as far as looks. However, one of my two favorite bionicles is a Metru build, Toa Iruini.

(and if you're wondering, my favorite bionicle is the ORIGINAL Takanuva, because he's just so epic)

Ohhhh..... Toa Iruini..... best Toa set ever. I've got him on my shelf, have to do a review later.

I know, right? He's even in my school colors. I think we should adopt him as a mascot for that reason. I also like the Toa Likhan set, even though it was a Metru build. The Kikanilo was cool, sort of a throwback to the rahi sets.

The best from Old sets (by design) where Bohroks! Krana looks awesome, ingenious combiner, And I miss the action feature-Old Bionicle could fight together, and those whose mask fall of loses...

I recently got a Bohrok. Those were indeed great sets. :thumbup: They could mix functions, gears, playability, building and design very well.

Unfortunately we have no gears/functions anymore (since like 2005). :hmpf_bad: I'm so disapointed with it :sceptic:

Every year has had it's strong points. The old years were about fuctions and story line, 2005 was about the titans, 2006 about the awesome sets and tons of new pieces, 2007-2008 about the comics, and 2009 about the sets and story.

I quite enjoyed the first Toa. I consider myself among the lucky ones. I got every original Toa. I got 5 of the Nuva, missing only Tahu Nuva :(. I also got the first Takanuva and Makuta. I skipped Metru-Nui, then stayed with the story about halfway through the Mahri. I prefer the original Toa over the newer ones. Go Lewa!

I really liked the original Bionicle stuff. Most of the stuff was a great low price, so it was easy to grab a set very frequently and have a complete series of figures in no time. The larger sets had lots of neat functions and were therefore very appealing as well.

I have the majority of the Bionicle sets from 2001-2005, but then lost interest in the 2006 stuff when they removed the gears and technic functions (my major complaints) and raised the prices (minor complaint). In 2006 I bought two of the Matoran and one of the Piraka, but they just didn't do anything for me. I found the Toa Inika particularly unappealing that year, and that was the end of my Bionicle days.

The original 6 Toa will always have a special place in my Bionicle collection as they are still my favorite.

I remember the year Bionicle came out... I'd had a a birthday recently and had some money making my pocket smell like burning leather. I went to the local Wal-Mart with my aunt and I picked up a Tahu and a Kopaka (ya gotta love dichotomy).I spent the rest of the afternoon playing with what would become two of my favorite action figures (due to the fact that they were Lego and I had some part in their creation). No over the top storylines, no craaaaaazy shooter gimmick, no steep price point. Pure, simple, awesomeness. ^_^

Somewhere at my dad's place, those little guys are in pieces sitting in a plastic drawer...I really wanna rebuild them now.... )':

Edited by Nich Artri

I used to have the original set of 6 toa, with Tahu being my favorite. In a way they use to remind me of being like G.I. Joe figures, but in lego form. As time went on though, I guess that the newer style of Bionicle's seemed to turn me off in a way. The way it is for me, I learned that I prefer the original Bionicle figures over the newer style ones.

I have the majority of the Bionicle sets from 2001-2005, but then lost interest in the 2006 stuff when they removed the gears and technic functions (my major complaints) and raised the prices (minor complaint).

Same with me. :classic:

Older Bionicle sets with some sort of function other than plain-old boring launchers were my favorites. Sure, the Toa Mata / Nuva models were clunky and hard to pose, but at least their gears could be re-used for something else.

I also liked the Toa Metru models, because they combined the pose-ability of recent action figures with gears; something I wish recent Bionicle figures could be like.

Old Bionicle is very nogalstic, I think that that's what everyone loves about them. I agree with ZO6 and Bricknave too. Ever since they took out the gears and things, I lost interest.