Sign in to follow this  
The Crazy One

Is EB still an exclusive adult site?

Okay, it clearly states in the forum gidelines that EB is an intended adult, over 18 site.

Age: Eurobricks is a site intended for an adult audience, which for the purpose of these guidelines are people of around the age of 18 or greater. We reserve the right to ban anyone who does not meet that requirement. Posting that you are not an adult is a quick way to be banned. If you choose to ignore these guidelines and sign up anyway, it is not our responsibility if you are offended by what you read or see. Similarly, if you are an adult who is offended by what is often labeled as adult content, you should probably avoid this site.

My brother is a great fan of Lego, but sadly only the age of 15. :cry_sad: It says Mods have the right to ban under aged fans, and I would not enjoy him being banned. He has looked through these forums many times, and I highly doubt anything has offended him. I am using him as an example though, I have no idea if he actually wants to sign up. :laugh:

I was just making the point that is it really necessary to have the right to ban all under aged users? Or is this just a legal measure that the site has to obey?

Similary, I have seen many under aged users, so are EB Mods more laid back about this rule nowdays?

Well I am certainly not a mod but having been here a while and seen alot, I can tell you, I am 99% sure they are OK with someone being under 18 as long as they act accordingly.

You may want to wait for a mod to chime in, but the rules do say "We reserve the right to ban anyone who does not meet that requirement." Which doesn't technically say they will ban you instantly but that they can.

I know of many member under the age of 18 that are curently on this board.

We will always be a site for a mature audience. I know people of 15 and 16 years old who are mature enough to be here, whilst others are not. The Eurobricks staff reserves the right to decide if someone is not mature enough by looking at the way they post and participate on our boards.

Like Bonaparte said, it really depends on how you post and how maturely you act, I think.

A large percent of the members aren't eighteen. If they didn't want some younger members on the boards, they would've put a stop to it a long time ago. :wink: I don't think anyone that joins talking like "lol omg want to tarde ur birckarms?//?!1!1" will last long. :laugh:

Its all up to the person. Any TFOL joining here is fine in my mind. If there were 9 year olds coming on, then I might say it's a no-go. But think about this guys, I'm 15, and I've been here for many years.

Not that I didn't have some things I regretted doing here in the past, but after a more mature state, I have become a (hopefully) respected member.

-VBBN

It's full of kids and teens on EB, crazy one, and even though once in a while some of them decide to become annoying and earn themselves a ban, most of the time the mods/admins hardly have any problems with people below the age of 18 posting on Eurobricks.

Well, Bonaparte and Big Cam said it all. :classic: It all depends on how mature you act.

I´m 16 and I joined over a year ago. I even went on the -09 EB event, and I didn´t hear anyone complaining (luckily). :grin:

Its all up to the person. Any TFOL joining here is fine in my mind. If there were 9 year olds coming on, then I might say it's a no-go. But think about this guys, I'm 15, and I've been here for many years.

Not that I didn't have some things I regretted doing here in the past, but after a more mature state, I have become a (hopefully) respected member.

-VBBN

Well... I was 10 when I joined :tongue::look:

Oh, okay. Sorry, the site guidelines were a little missleading in my mind. :wacko:

So, they can be banned if they don't post maturely, but I assuming that's reserved for all ages.

So, they can be banned if they don't post maturely, but I assuming that's reserved for all ages.

Anyone who can't post and contribute in a mature way has no place here.

And since all questions are answered I'll close this :classic:

We haven't relaxed the rule at all, but I did re-write it recently to highlight that the age itself isn't the be-all-and-end-all. In other words, someone who is 25 can be banned just as easily as someone who is 15 if they don't act mature. We decide that standard. But please note that in most cases someone will be warned at least once prior to banning.

Oh, okay. Sorry, the site guidelines were a little missleading in my mind. :wacko:

Well I don't think so, because I wrote it!

I was just making the point that is it really necessary to have the right to ban all under aged users?

Yes. The key goal of EB is to have a LEGO site where adults can discuss their favorite hobby without immature rubbish like; "100 posts; w00t!". The fact is unlike other hobbies like cars, LEGO targets kids more than adults so we need to be clear of our intended audience. This will never change.

I´m 16 and I joined over a year ago. I even went on the -09 EB event, and I didn´t hear anyone complaining (luckily). :grin:
Well, that will change for next year in Billund, prepare to be bullied :devil::laugh:! (just kidding)

Seems our staff and ambassador have more to say on this topic so I'll re-open and see where it goes :classic:

Well, that will change for next year in Billund, prepare to be bullied :devil::laugh:! (just kidding)

The Force is strong with me... :tongue:

I too am currently 16 and hopefully like a lot of respected 16 year olds on the site we can act maturely enough to remain part of this great community :classic:

To be fair, a lot of younger children wouldn't know the site was here until they reach the age where they know for sure whether Lego is a hobby they wish to pursue or not into their adulthood (if they do, through unforseen circumstances they often find the site). I have to keep my Lego hobby a secret because if I told any of my friends or 'acquaintances' I would instantly be tormented for the rest of my educational career, so it's perfect to have a site where I can have mature conversation about all things Lego, with many people who are sometimes in a similar situation.

Judging from my experience with the lego community (admittedly mainly through this site), LEGO requires a certain amount of intelligence to keep as a hobby, and this is doubly so for the under-18 set, when lego can often be considered childish, and torment, as The Rancor said, is likely from one's unenelightened peers. I think that adulthood is more a state and acuity of mind than an actual physical age, and that it can be reached at different stages by different people - some people never reach mental adulthood at all, and others become mental adults as low as age 12 or 13 (I like to think that I'm part of this group. Would any of you have known that I wasn't a 'grown-up' if I had never posted my birthday?). In this respect, I think that the policy is just. You can be banned for being underaged, but you won't be banned unless you act it.

Yes as I found out when I joined, it is all about posting maturely.

I know this is sort of off-topic but, why are there people who have, I heard (I haven't been here long) been MODs or Admins and have been banned? Just curious. :classic:

Sorry if that was a bad question Siegfried :sceptic::laugh:

CommanderFox

Edited by CommanderFox

I know this is sort of off-topic but, why are there people who have, I heard (I haven't been here long) been MODs or Admins and have been banned? Just curious. :classic:

Well it is a bad question, and it's one we don't ever answer. Why someone is banned is generally obvious, including the one time an ex-Staff member was banned. No further details will be given. Feel free to ask the person involved for more details, but that's the most you'll get out of me.

I guess the list of possible reasons will be the same as why people at organizations leave/get fired. Curiosity killed the cat... :wink:

I know this is sort of off-topic but, why are there people who have, I heard (I haven't been here long) been MODs or Admins and have been banned?

I can remember why for a person in question but I'll keep THAT ONE A SECRET. (To those who don't know: I'm pretty rubbish at keeping secrets :wink: )

Edited by The Rancor

Well it is a bad question, and it's one we don't ever answer. Why someone is banned is generally obvious, including the one time an ex-Staff member was banned. No further details will be given. Feel free to ask the person involved for more details, but that's the most you'll get out of me.

Never mind, I know now. :classic:

CommanderFox

Despite the rules & forum agreement, there are many underage memebrs here and you can tell it from their creations. But I like to see young people involved in LEGO. It's a great way to spend your spare time and I'm glad those kids are doing somethig productive. I'm not too active here but I never came across someone acting immaturely. So I guess, admins are doing a good job by not banning them on sight :)

In my LUG there is no age limit and we have a few 13 year olds, they are unbelieavbly mature and I never thought they could be underage until they told us so! So age doesn't mean anything alone. I wish we had more young Turkish fans over there. LEGO should be a "life long experience"

Agreed. The younger members amoung this community are very muture. Well, in most cases. :laugh:

Well, look at me. I'm 20, but I have seen 15 year olds more mature than me. :grin:

I deffinatley respect the younger members of this site, as long as they are responsible and post well.

Edited by The crazy one