Sign in to follow this  
Ralph_S

MOC: 1951 Custom Mercury

Over on LUGNuts, the Flickr group for Lego car nuts we have monthly challenges. This month the challenge was to build something in a style of another member. Lino Martins, one of LUGNuts' founders is very fond of American hot rods and custom cars. I decided to honour him by having a go at building something in that direction: a customised 1951 Mercury.

It has lowered suspecsion, a chopped roof and an outrageous paint job. What more can you want?

4133064827_d020eb86cb.jpg

4133823442_c6aca46187.jpg

4133062867_058be1468b.jpg

4133059775_a906a5c373.jpg

As usual with my car, doors, boot (trunk) and bonnet (hood) can open and it has poseable front wheels.

It's very different from cars I'd normally build, but I had great fun building this thing.

Cheers,

Ralph

That's pretty sweet. I am not sure that I have ever seen brick built flames. It turned out very nice.

Thank you. I have built flames a few times previously, albeit never in colours quite this wild. We had a Hotrod competition on Eurobricks about two years ago for which I built a hot rod and ever since I figured out how to build its flame job doing it again was comparatively easy.

Cool flames! Rims look cool too!

Thanks. I only have tow of those chrome pieces, so if there ever was a car for which I was going to use them, this was it!

Really like the flames and the grille.. Not sure about the windscreen though...

Thanks. The grille was very tricky. I struggled with the windscreen. It should have a little kink in the middle and that was terribly difficult to get right. I'm not 100% happy with it, but am unsure how to improve it.

Cheers,

Ralph

I think it looks great Ralph. Looks like a difficult build from scratch but came out great!

Thanks. It certainly is one of the more difficult cars I've built in a while, but great fun.

Cheers,

Ralph