21 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale 1 to 5

• 1- They make me sick!
    • 2- I can tolerate them.
    • 3- Average
    • 4- There better than average.
    • 5- There perfect!

th_thindexedgif.gif 102a

Hello everyone, here's my Small Category entry.

First off I would like to say that I was inspired by LuxorV and his "Glory to the Braves".

Here it is.....

4131873762_3af83bc7ec_o.jpg

Two kids and a Veteran laying poppie wreaths.

4131874060_2c82d39b10_o.jpg

The top.

4131874032_9386d56db5_o.jpg

The bottom.

4131873916_b6582b325d_o.jpg

The laying of a wreath.

4131873884_a5787af726_o.jpg

Another angle, featuring the Veteran and the boy.

COMMENTS WELCOME!!!

Chow

Ratshot :monkey:

Edited by SlyOwl

Simple, yet nice and thoughtful - just what memorials are all about. Very nice entry, Ratshot!

My favourite aspects:

+ As usual with your MOCs - the minifigs. The woman laying the wreath and the veteran with his hat off are absolutely perfect.

+ The memorial fire blowing in the wind - very symbolic.

+ The uniform red colour you've chosen for all the flowers definitely works well here.

+ The "unknown soldier" type of bust statue incorporated into the main structure. A very subtle and nice touch.

Suggestions:

- Have you tried actually tiling the base of the structure where the flowers / wreaths are laid? I think that would work better and provide contrast with the cobblestone street.

- I was thinking that you could perhaps try and come up with an actual "wreath" by using small pieces (e.g. hands, clips, etc.), since I really feel that would stand out among the flower bouquets.

- I'm not really sure about the kid's expression... The smile seems appropriate for the woman despite her subdued grief, but I just don't feel that it works as well for the kid. Have you tried using other expressions?

Once again - good luck in the competition. I'm really happy that someone was inspired by LuxorV's wonderful MOC - it would have been a shame if that idea was not actually featured in the contest!

P.S.: And as to your photos - there's nothing really wrong with them. I can only recommend that you use some sort of white backdrop to help the MOC stand out - that way you'd also make sure that the viewer's attention is focused precisely where you want it. If you're unsure what you should use, might I suggest trying the back side of a larger poster? Its shiny finish should work perfectly.

Edited by TheOtters

As others have said, my favorite part would also be the posing of the figs and the fire blowing in the wind. I think the statue now is a bit simple (no 'body' for the soldier), but maybe this works best in this vig. I would however recommend using an older 'plain' shako if you have it.

Very nice but I feel like it somehow needs a flag incorporated into it. Maybe in a way that isn't so obvious.

I never thought of that, good point.

- Have you tried actually tiling the base of the structure where the flowers / wreaths are laid? I think that would work better and provide contrast with the cobblestone street.

- I was thinking that you could perhaps try and come up with an actual "wreath" by using small pieces (e.g. hands, clips, etc.), since I really feel that would stand out among the flower bouquets.

- I'm not really sure about the kid's expression... The smile seems appropriate for the woman despite her subdued grief, but I just don't feel that it works as well for the kid. Have you tried using other expressions?

- I don't have enough gray tiles for the base.

- I tried making a wreath but I couldn't seem to get anything that looked nice.

- Sadly, the bulk of my minifig heads are from the pirate, castle and Indy themes so I don't have very many appropriate facial expressions.

I would however recommend using an older 'plain' shako if you have it.

Originally, I used a plain black shako but decided that it was to blaahhh.

Thanks for the feedback everyone :thumbup:

Chow

Ratshot :monkey:

- I tried making a wreath but I couldn't seem to get anything that looked nice.

Well, you don't need to look far for inspiration - check out one of the recent entries in CopMike's X-Mas raffle :) That's precisely what I had in mind!

Edited by TheOtters

Well, you don't need to look far for inspiration - check out one of the recent entries in CopMike's X-Mas raffle :) That's precisely what I had in mind!

Thanks Bobby, I'll see what I can come up with.