brickme

Brickfair 2010

Last year was my first time and I'll never miss it again. It was a blast. I really suggest bringing MOCs if you can. People love to each others creations and discuss brick. If you don't have anything, you'll still enjoy it, so don't worry! If you have any more questions feel free to PM me.

Thank you for the reply. As I work a mile away from the center, I will stop in a few times on Thursday and Friday. Looking forward to the event. Also a thank you for the head up on the 1/2 off sale. That may hurt my wallet!

My twin brother and I will definitely be going, even though it starts just shortly after I get back from my summer session at college.

Regrettably, I probably won't have MOCs for the convention like I did last time. Still, hoping to chat with some of my BZPower homies, and definitely hoping to enjoy the MOCs on display!

i've heard in the festival they sold some sets for very lower prices is that true?

Vendors that attend the event do sell sets for either high or low prices. Keep in mind these vendors have no affiliation with TLC and pretty much like Bricklink, only in person.

-Omi

Vendors that attend the event do sell sets for either high or low prices. Keep in mind these vendors have no affiliation with TLC and pretty much like Bricklink, only in person.

-Omi

I'd also like to add that beyond the vendors, there are other opportunities to get LEGO sets, especially for registered attendees. There's "The Running of the Bulls", as another member described-- last year, though, it was actually called "The Taming of the Bulls", because apparently in previous years it had gotten out of hand. It was still very, very chaotic, but I'm assured by some attendees that it's better than it had been previously.

Additionally, the LEGO Group themselves operate a booth showing off some of the newest or coolest sets, and last year there was a raffle where they randomly picked registered attendees who, if they showed up for the drawing, would get one of the displayed sets for free. My brother got the Emerald Night that way!

The raffle is a yearly event, and there are many others like it where prizes are awarded to registered attendees. Since nobody's linked there (unless I missed that post), I encourage everyone to check Brickfair.com for up-to-date info and directions on how to register!

Will brickforge and Birckarms be selling there?

Yes, both Brickforge and Brickarms will be represented at Brickfair 2010.

I put up my MOCs on the Brickfair site last night. If anyone else happens to have set up a space-themed monorail layout there, I can add them to it, but otherwise they should look fine as standalone models. I figured it's better than bringing nothing. :tongue:

At the Bulls event, does anyone know if TLG sells normal (non-damaged box) sets at the same time? Otherwise, I'll need to go there again the next day. There are several sets I want to buy and I probably won't get them all in the Bulls event, but in the past TLG has given a 20% discount to Brickfair attendees at all normal store hours too. If you buy a couple hundred dollars worth of stuff there like I do, it easily makes up for the Brickfair registration price.

At the Bulls event, does anyone know if TLG sells normal (non-damaged box) sets at the same time? Otherwise, I'll need to go there again the next day. There are several sets I want to buy and I probably won't get them all in the Bulls event, but in the past TLG has given a 20% discount to Brickfair attendees at all normal store hours too. If you buy a couple hundred dollars worth of stuff there like I do, it easily makes up for the Brickfair registration price.

Yes, they do, but I'd suggest not purchasing them at that time. The store event will be run differently this year, as I understand. Each person can only buy one set at a time, then head to the back of the line. I'd wager you don't want to waste your "one set" on a 20% discount you can get all weekend. Regardless, the store event is at Potomac Mills, whereas the closest store to Dulles is Tyson Corner. Different store, different stock, better opportunity to snag a haul.

Yes, they do, but I'd suggest not purchasing them at that time. The store event will be run differently this year, as I understand. Each person can only buy one set at a time, then head to the back of the line. I'd wager you don't want to waste your "one set" on a 20% discount you can get all weekend. Regardless, the store event is at Potomac Mills, whereas the closest store to Dulles is Tyson Corner. Different store, different stock, better opportunity to snag a haul.

According to the 2010 Schedule, the running of the bulls is at the Tysons Corner store this year. NOT Potomac Mills in Woodbridge. It is SO much closer. It is a smaller store, but I doubt that will mean less sets available. http://www.brickfair.com/schedule/ScheduleOfEvents.jpg

As for only getting one set at a time, I've never heard that before. It is possible, but BrickFair staff will be running the event this year not the store. BF staff will decide who gets in and when according to the code each person receives when they register.

It is possible, but BrickFair staff will be running the event this year not the store.

That is only partially true. Todd will have the list and will be at the entrance of the store to monitor who goes in and out. We BF staff aren't really in charge of anything and most likely only a few will will help out (all it takes is a few people to tell people to not crow the mall hallway). Basically crowd control.

The Lego Store staff have complete control of what goes on in the store. We do not.

-Omi

Omi, Thanks for the clarification. That makes absolute sense.

Follows, if you look at your account page on the BrickFair page there will be a checklist in the middle of the screen that has your Running of the Bulls code. That code will be your entry to the Tyson's store.

Yes, they do, but I'd suggest not purchasing them at that time. The store event will be run differently this year, as I understand. Each person can only buy one set at a time, then head to the back of the line. I'd wager you don't want to waste your "one set" on a 20% discount you can get all weekend.

I'll keep that in mind. Maybe I have to plan for two trips there. I guess I could go to the store during regular hours just before Bulls, but at that point I won't know what will be available at the sale.

It's probably too much to hope for that they will have the specific sets I want in damaged box form. At this point, I'm more interested in the novelty of the whole thing. The Bulls event is something that people talk about over the next two days, so I want to see what it's like at least once. :classic:

And yes, the event is supposed to be at the Tysons Corner store this year. That is the main reason I'm going this time.

Omi, Thanks for the clarification. That makes absolute sense.

Follows, if you look at your account page on the BrickFair page there will be a checklist in the middle of the screen that has your Running of the Bulls code. That code will be your entry to the Tyson's store.

I paid for 5 tickets a few months back. I just created an account today. Is there a way I can get this account (and my other 4 tickets) credited?

Name: ------------

Badge: -------------

public

public

public

[edit registration]

No Name Badge

(you must pay by deadline: 7/23/10)

Name not included in Program Guide.

(you did not register/pay by deadline: 7/21/10)

Not eligible for Door Prizes.

(you must pay by deadline: 8/2/10)

Goodie Bag not provided until paid.

(must be among the first 450 to pay -- 656 folks have already paid, and must pay by deadline: 8/2/10)

No Running Of The Bulls.

(requires payment before Thursday, Aug 5th 2010)

Yeah, you need to get that worked out if you've already paid. You probably should have registered online before paying. I would use the 'contact us' button and choose the urgent priority because you're going to miss out on a lot if you don't get it worked out. I'd do it right now, because they may not have a record of you paying at the door if you don't have an account online. I don't know how it works but reach out asap.

Yes, you're supposed to register first and then pay. Send an email to Todd about it. They should have all the Paypal records and can match up the names. I don't know if you will get the name badge and other stuff at this point though.

Yeah, you need to get that worked out if you've already paid. You probably should have registered online before paying. I would use the 'contact us' button and choose the urgent priority because you're going to miss out on a lot if you don't get it worked out. I'd do it right now, because they may not have a record of you paying at the door if you don't have an account online. I don't know how it works but reach out asap.

Todd quickly returned my email, thanks Todd. I bought 5 admin one on the 7th or 8th tickets. So, that does not make me eligible for the other activities, including the discount. So I guess I will not be stopping in until Sunday with my 5 kids. See you all then.

P.S. It is probably for the best that I am not eligible for the discount, I do not need another excuse to buy more block.

I'm leaving for the area tomorrow and plan to get to the event around 9:30 on Friday. I think that should be enough time to set up my MOCs before Arthur Gugick's talk.

Perhaps we EB regulars could get together at some point during the event. Send me a PM if you're interested in meeting up.

Brickfair ended today. I had a great time as usual. There seemed to be significantly more MOCs than last year, and we had a corresponding increase in the number of visitors as well. I put up all my pictures here (when moderated).

The Bulls event was a bit of a mixed bag though. You had to stand around for hours before they let you in and the event apparently went on until 2:30, although I left after one round. I picked up a Grand Emporium there, which was great, but didn't find any of the sets I was actually planning to buy. When I went there again the next day, they had sold out of all the regular copies of those sets too. :tongue: It was an interesting experience, but in the future I will probably just go to the store earlier in the day and stick to the 20% discount.

Edited by CP5670