Sir Dillon

Castle Sets 2010

Yes, and yes. Today will be the third day and tomorrow is the last (14-17 Feb.). Apparently, last year and exclusive (MMV?) was introduced on a later day. It's believed that the TRU City Exclusive (8404) will still be shown and maybe the City House (8403). Furthermore, the Collectible Minifigures (series 1 and 2) may still be revealed.

Okay, that got me excited! I also hope someone will manage to take a few more, better pictures from the inside of the castle and from the inside of the outpost tower.

Thanks for the link! Actually that's what i expected, a weapon stand. I really like the prison that is integrated into the wall, it reminds me a bit of the prison in THIS set. But what i like the most is that there's plenty of room on the ground inside the corner towers, it seems the space there is much more easier accessable than it was in the king's castle siege set.

I really would love some clear shots of the kinghts' torsos. So far, I have seen:

Lions:

Chainmail w/cross belt & red arms

Checkered w/coat of arms & white armos

Printed plate???

Under king's armor??? (dark red w/white arms)

Under knight's armor??? (light bley hopefully printed plate)

Knight's armor (breastplate)

King's armor (breastplate)

Dragons:

Chainmail w/scalloped cowl & cross chain belt(similar to Bull soldiers) & dark green arms

Chainmail w/double crossed chain belts & black arms

Checkered w/coat of arms & black arms

Knight's armor (breastplate)

Did I miss any?

Edited by UsernameMDM

I don't think the figs that wear armor will have any printing on the torso. The kights from fantasy ery never had any, so i think it will continue to be that way.

I don't think the figs that wear armor will have any printing on the torso. The kights from fantasy ery never had any, so i think it will continue to be that way.

Well both versions of the king and the gold knight did. I hope the new Lion king has some kingly robes printed under his armor.

Edited by UsernameMDM

Yeah, but i meant the "normal" knights..they only had grey or black torsos. Anyhow, i'm also hoping for a decent printing on the king torso, and not a recycled one from another theme, like the last king had.

Yeah, but i meant the "normal" knights..they only had grey or black torsos. Anyhow, i'm also hoping for a decent printing on the king torso, and not a recycled one from another theme, like the last king had.

Me as well. Can't think of anything old that has a dark red torso and white arms (aside from the scared woman from the studios line). The recycled viking torso didn't bother me because I just used it to make Crown Rangers:

rngr.jpg

Hmm...may start a new topic based on that....

Anyhow, i'm also hoping for a decent printing on the king torso, and not a recycled one from another theme, like the last king had.

Well, the Fantasy Era king got a new torso eventually for the final wave. Is the new king's face the same as the old one but recolored with a gray beard? It kind of looked that way to me, but maybe not.

LEGO has been really good giving detailed torsos recently, so I doubt they'll be stingy on the king. I bet he'll have something nice under there.

I'm very happy to see the arrival of actual pictures of the sets from the new 2010 line up! Not much new in the way of revelations, but it's still good to have reaffirmation that this will be a very nice line. :thumbup: The close-ups of the new great helm have me quite excited, that looks like such a good piece! Although I love the grill and visor helms, it's good to see another addition to Castle-wear. The torsos are all looking very good as well. I'm loving the color scheme for the Dragon Knights! The dark green, black and gold, plus that beautiful dark and shiny grey for the armor looks fantastic! :wub: It seems that Lego has avoided giving the Dragons distinctly "evil" looking heads, which is nice in shaping the "you choose the good guy-bad guy" theme, even though the way they are presented still kind of makes them look like the antagonists (what good guy kidnaps a 'helpless' damsel? :hmpf_bad:). I realize that this is only the first wave, but I'm a little disappointed at the weak showing for the Dragons. Hopefully the next wave will rectify the lack of horses and barding for these guys.

I'm still convinced that 7947 Prison Tower Rescue will be the first on my list. There's just something about the design that I find especially attractive, it feels 'earthy' for some reason. 7946 King's Castle is looking quite superb! The turrets have quite a bit of space on them, and the general architecture is very nice, it just feels like a good castle. And let's not forget all of the great smaller sets, which is another major plus for this line in my eyes. There's just a great assortment of pieces and mini-figs there, and getting a bunch of them would be a worthwhile purchase I think, especially for someone who is into army building.

Is the new king's face the same as the old one but recolored with a gray beard? It kind of looked that way to me, but maybe not.

I noticed that too Clone O'Patra, I believe you're correct. I can't say I mind they did that either, it looks really good to me. :thumbup:

Edited by Mac-K

:thumbup: new helms! great colour schemes, new horse armor,unicorn horns, green and gold theme (aussie!), the plain soldiers chest designs are amazingly similar to the crowny impulse/updated chest design (great!), more castle in general!

:thumbdown: no more fantasy, no faction specific weapons, no minifig group boxes like SW gets, really silly impulse sets, not enough armour pieces, use of the "grill" helm. i wont go on...

the wizard looks amazing, but he is so full of charachter that any more than one would be overkill in a collection. a pair of soldier impulses (one for each faction) that had printed armour and torso, a selection of weapons and helms and a shield would have been far better for buisness.

the jester suffers the same as the wizard, there just isnt any reason to give an impule to a "joke" fig. i allready have a pair of amazing jesters, comedy and tragedy thanks to the crown line.

the weapons are all same old same old classic stuff, i would have really liked to see the new factions getting some different new weapon types, the PoP claws and the atlantis tridents are amazing and show us what is possible with lego design but this is a let down.

all fantasy castle races had individual style with a weapon type and helmet shapes but both factions here differ only in colour. could have been better!

i will probably buy one of each of the sets, and a few repeats of the smaller ones (not impulses however) to get a decent smaller army of each faction.

:thumbup: new helms! great colour schemes, new horse armor,unicorn horns, green and gold theme (aussie!), the plain soldiers chest designs are amazingly similar to the crowny impulse/updated chest design (great!), more castle in general!

:thumbdown: no more fantasy, no faction specific weapons, no minifig group boxes like SW gets, really silly impulse sets, not enough armour pieces, use of the "grill" helm. i wont go on...

the wizard looks amazing, but he is so full of charachter that any more than one would be overkill in a collection. a pair of soldier impulses (one for each faction) that had printed armour and torso, a selection of weapons and helms and a shield would have been far better for buisness.

the jester suffers the same as the wizard, there just isnt any reason to give an impule to a "joke" fig. i allready have a pair of amazing jesters, comedy and tragedy thanks to the crown line.

the weapons are all same old same old classic stuff, i would have really liked to see the new factions getting some different new weapon types, the PoP claws and the atlantis tridents are amazing and show us what is possible with lego design but this is a let down.

all fantasy castle races had individual style with a weapon type and helmet shapes but both factions here differ only in colour. could have been better!

i will probably buy one of each of the sets, and a few repeats of the smaller ones (not impulses however) to get a decent smaller army of each faction.

Note that the main selling point of impulse sets isn't necessarily army building. The concept of "impulse" is that a person can buy one without having to mull it over like they would for a larger purchase. The only time in my childhood I ended up with multiples of an impulse set in my collection was a consequence of my brother getting the same set as me-- bought, usually as a gift, on impulse. Army building is mostly an AFOL phenomenon, and it's not why LEGO puts impulse sets out at all.

And the point of this theme seems to be delivering a semi-realistic medieval theme. PoP or Atlantis weapons might have been nice to see in other themes, but they'd have been totally out-of-place in this theme whatever way you slice it. After all, since when did medieval knights use tridents or metal claws?

Basically your complaints about this theme boil down to that you want it to be a theme that it's not. Fantasy-era castle was nice, but despite being a historic theme (arguably) it had totally different intentions from Kingdoms.

Note that the main selling point of impulse sets isn't necessarily army building. The concept of "impulse" is that a person can buy one without having to mull it over like they would for a larger purchase. The only time in my childhood I ended up with multiples of an impulse set in my collection was a consequence of my brother getting the same set as me-- bought, usually as a gift, on impulse. Army building is mostly an AFOL phenomenon, and it's not why LEGO puts impulse sets out at all.

And the point of this theme seems to be delivering a semi-realistic medieval theme. PoP or Atlantis weapons might have been nice to see in other themes, but they'd have been totally out-of-place in this theme whatever way you slice it. After all, since when did medieval knights use tridents or metal claws?

Basically your complaints about this theme boil down to that you want it to be a theme that it's not. Fantasy-era castle was nice, but despite being a historic theme (arguably) it had totally different intentions from Kingdoms.

I don't want to speak for him, but I don't think he meant that he wanted to see tridents and wrist claws in this line. I believe he meant that those are examples of LEGO coming up with new weapons and that he wishes they would've come up with some new weapons for this line. I think.

This thread IS about the 2010 sets. Thanks for the link, but i believe these have been seen already.

I haven't seen these before. Looks like back printing on the plate armor torso!

It looks like the box art for the knight duel has the sweet chainmail cross chain torso and printed legs for the dragon knight. I will be picking up a few of those if that is true.

Still would love to see what is under the king's armor. I wonder if it is similar to the prince with the Datsan's hair on the advent calendar.

Edited by UsernameMDM

It seems so, and i see that as absolute positive. I really hated the flick-fire stuff...mostly because it is as unreal as it gets, i mean orcs and stuff is fantasy like it is written in books and so, but what the hell should flick-fire missiles be?

I don't want to speak for him, but I don't think he meant that he wanted to see tridents and wrist claws in this line. I believe he meant that those are examples of LEGO coming up with new weapons and that he wishes they would've come up with some new weapons for this line. I think.

yes you nailed it right there.

while this theme might be attempting to not be as "fantasy" as the "castle" line it sure isnt historical. i doubt at any time in history two nations bearing these colour schemes and heraldry AND using identicle weapons as each other ever fought. the set has a wizard, who has a pet dragon.

this "kingdoms" line is a successor to the castle line. it fits in just fine in my mind. in fact the green and gold dragon from the orc ship will be perfect for this new dragon faction.

im just dissapointed that the advancements in lego's designs havent carried over to this theme due to the two main factions being human. being human does not mean everything being the same except heraldry and buildings.

on the impulse boxes, im positive a little'un would be far more impressed with a soldier with lots of extra options than a jester with some round studs and a really silly wall.

each to thier own i guess!

This thread IS about the 2010 sets.

Maybe Mods should consider renaming the topic.

Well I am pretty happy with the new line. I don't care about the old weapons. :tongue: The last time Lego came out with new swords they look horrible so I will just be happy with the old ones.

As far as the great helm is concerned I am a little disappointed with it. :hmpf_bad: I would have like to see two eye slits not just one be slit for both eyes. The brickforge helm is so much more realistic than this one is. That being said I am still very happy with the new line and I look forward to buying them come August. :classic:

I do not know what is with all the hate for the new helmet. It seems reasonable to me to have one eye slot. It's probably easier to make, even back in the medieval age. I hope to get a couple of the new helmets my self.