Sir Dillon

Castle Sets 2010

WOW a new lego castle, I like the more classic look of it, I'm going to have to get that beaut to try and finish the one I'm working on :classic: (Yes, to save pieces I'm using traditional castle walls where I can.) also I'm totally in love with the white/red color scheme, the king looks awesome in it.

Thanks for the pictures Legorski! It's good to finally get some large(ish) clear images.

I'm liking the abundance of shields in these sets. :wub: We get two in the prison carriage set and it looks like the castle has at least seven lion shields.

I'm not big fan of catapults, but the one in 7950 doesn't look so bad. It actually resembles a real catapult.

I noticed that TLG really seems to love the cheese pieces, since they are everywhere in the new sets! Also in the knight's showdown there are 2 on the weapon stand, and there are dozens of red ones on the bif castle. I like them there, though.

At least they're useful pieces. I prefer cheese slopes over those 1 x 2 corner wedges that also appear on the battlements.

The detail really shows through on the pictures, and therefore I'm very happy! :classic: The new sets remind me of the Classics from the late 80s and early 90s, especially the Prison Cart. I will definitely pick up that set and a couple of other small ones if I see them. :thumbup:

Thanks for showing us the pictures!

I love the new mini-catapult piece! :wub:

Although I don't have any room for another theme, Kingdoms is looking great. :wub: I might have to either sacrifice the old Fantasy castle or merge it if I have the pieces.

The figs are looking good. Too bad they don't all have leg printing, though. So many other themes, do...why not Castle?

I love the Little catapult- looks great, the new "baby Catapult" piece is nice!

The cariage looks like Classic and I love it! I'm just sad that the prisoner isn't a peasant. That would rule!

Hm, seems like I will need two prison cart sets if I want to have one that is completely enclosed! :tongue:

Man there are just too many new Lego sets coming out this year; Prince of Persia, Imperial Flagship, Star Wars sets, etc... Well I will say that it certainly is better than about 7 years ago when Lego had nothing out that was even remotely interesting, except for Star Wars of course. :classic:

The new sets remind me of the Classics from the late 80s and early 90s, especially the Prison Cart.

Same here, I was thrilled when I got a first look - back in february I guess

the only thing bugging me is the gateway to the red castle. looks way too face-ish for me. the bars make a kind of toothy space, window eyes. red under the windows is like an exaggerated cheek blush and the axes are vaguely mustachey. hope I haven't ruined it for anyone :look:, but I have trouble seeing past it.

edit: ok no, the red is like a sunburned cheekbone line, the brown block under the axes like a pug nose. the top of the wall is bart simpson hair.

I like the details. little torches around and all

Edited by SpiderSpaceman

Thanks for the pictures! I can't wait to get these sets, but I don't really like the random cheese slopes on the prison carriage rescue and how the prisoner could climb out.

The cheese slopes are just a way to bulk up the piece count - just like using 3 2x1 bricks instead of a 6x1 brick, like they've done in some sets. It's rather frustrating, but if you want to buy lego, you have to just suck it up. For people like me, that have a ton of legos, it's not a big deal, but it's no good for collectors just starting off.

Thanks for the link and pictures.

I'm really loving these new sets. There's something about them that definately has the feel and charm of the older castle sets that makes them really appealing, coupled together with an abundance of accessories and new parts - right down to the 'cup' of the mini-catapult - and the lovely new minifigs. I'm a big fan of those Dragon Knights!

Any more details on a release date?

Thanks for the pictures! I can't wait to get these sets, but I don't really like the random cheese slopes on the prison carriage rescue and how the prisoner could climb out.

Buy 2, combine and you're rockin' - that Lion will never escape! :wink:

The cheese slopes are just a way to bulk up the piece count - just like using 3 2x1 bricks instead of a 6x1 brick, like they've done in some sets. It's rather frustrating, but if you want to buy lego, you have to just suck it up. For people like me, that have a ton of legos, it's not a big deal, but it's no good for collectors just starting off.

Smaller bricks are often preferable for MOCing though, so getting 3 2x1 bricks instead of a single 6x1 may actually be better for some builders.

As for the cheese slopes; ugh :hmpf_bad: ! I don't mind cheese slopes, but with the castle line it almost seems like LEGO is simply adding them because they couldn't think of a better way to infuse a bit of colour into a theme that is otherwise grey, brown and black. On the castle I would have actually preferred the red cheese slopes to be either bley or dark bley. I'll certainly try and find a use for these, but the colour isn't exactly winning any points with me. The cheese slopes on the smaller sets seem even more random.

The new sets look more like the good old classic sets than any Castle set for many years, but I still find them slightly inferior to the classic sets. The mini-figures look really good, though.

I think the new castle looks to sprawling for my taste. I would rather it be smaller and built up from there than long and wide like it looks in the pictures. The new helmets look great though and now there's another human fraction to fight the crownies.

While I will agree about the cheese slopes. But smaller bricks are quite useful for adding in detail. If you are building a humongous creation that requires multiple baseplates building it entirely out of 2x1 bricks might be a pain and unnecessary, but for smaller creations to fit in details like doors, windows, arches, etc smaller bricks are useful and often required to do so.

I am somewhat disappointed with this sets.

We get only 2 mounted knights (one of them is king), both for one faction. They are in biggest sets only.

Dragon knights get 1 armored knight without horse and you can't even use the horse from smaller set unless you have spare saddle.

That gives us only 3 armors in 2 biggest sets.

Dragon knights are also inferior in numbers, unless you buy only "Knights Showdown" and "Prison Tower Rescue" sets. There aren't any set in which they dominate with numbers.

As for equipment I don't like lack of big shields for Dragon knights (they don't have even one).

Last issue I have with Lion knight in "Knights Showdown", why is he the only one knight in whole series with grill helmet?

Edited by Nicholai

Has there been any updates on when Lego will release the castle line in the US. :sceptic:

I don't think we know for sure when the sets are coming out in various areas, but the release is scheduled for Summer 2010. My guess is we'll start seeing them in June, but they might not be available everywhere until August.

I don't think we know for sure when the sets are coming out in various areas, but the release is scheduled for Summer 2010. My guess is we'll start seeing them in June, but they might not be available everywhere until August.

My guess is start looking for them in TRU's next month.