Tom Bricks

Coastal Trading Ship

4125959947_580abd6be8.jpg

4125959573_fc7bfa7535.jpg

4125958919_8e46af1f3d.jpg

4125958689_5a99f6aa97.jpg

4126726226_1f8856e7b3.jpg

4126725376_37c4036b1f.jpg

I wanted to build this with some playability so the deck lifts off to reveal the cabin, and I wanted it to be realistic looking. I didn't base it of any ships in particular but just used my imagination for this one. I"m not sure if ships this small actually existed but i wanted to make sure it was less than 16 x 16 and I didn't have to many bricks. Comments and Criticism are welcome.

More pics including close-ups of figs on Flickr

Great ship! I always like the ships built on small hulls, and this is no exception. I like the colour scheme, and the water is very well done.

I would suggest possibly making the rock formation with the plants a bit bigger, as it seems very small compared with the ship.

But this is only a small thing.

Once again, great work and good luck! :pir_laugh2:

Edited by Commander Laquiet

Great job! I hadn't expected to see many boats in the medium category, and this one is a nice surprise. And you even did an interior! Astounding. My only suggestion for improvement would be to add some action to the rest of the MOC, the part not occupied by the ship. Take out the rock and put in a diagonal dock, perhaps with some barrels, a chicken or two, the obligatory monkey, and a dockworker mooring the ship, and I'd say you have a first place medium on your hands.

Great ship! I always like the ships built on small hulls, and this is no exception. I like the colour scheme, and the water is very well done.

I would suggest possibly making the rock formation with the plants a bit bigger, as it seems very small compared with the ship.

But this is only a small thing.

Once again, great work and good luck! :pir_laugh2:

Thanks for the suggestion, I originally planned to make the rocks bigger but they made the ship seem to small. I also think the smaller rocks make it feel like the ship is out farther in the ocean but still close enough to land.

Great job! I hadn't expected to see many boats in the medium category, and this one is a nice surprise. And you even did an interior! Astounding. My only suggestion for improvement would be to add some action to the rest of the MOC, the part not occupied by the ship. Take out the rock and put in a diagonal dock, perhaps with some barrels, a chicken or two, the obligatory monkey, and a dockworker mooring the ship, and I'd say you have a first place medium on your hands.

Thanks, i had originally planned on adding a dock and a small building but there wasn't enough space (the ship by itself is practically to big for the Medium category) I didn't want to make it over crowded and I don't have enough bricks or skill for a Large entry so I settled on just the boat.

Hey Tom, wonderful entry there :) This is definitely one of the smallest yet coolest-looking ships I've seen recently, great job!

I love the no-nonsense, no-cannons approach, that's a hardcore trader right there :pir_laugh2: The captain's cabin also looks very cozy - extra points there for adding playability by making the top come off so easily. My only gripe with the ship's design is the fact that there's a bit too much hull space at the bow that cannot be used due to the way you've placed the brown tiles to cover up the front mast... Freeing some of that space up would probably make the whole ship look even better! I'm also not sure about the height at which the sail is positioned at - perhaps you could have added another one just below the sail on top to make it look more realistic? Or another front sail? The way the single sail is positioned now, I'd guess it just makes use of 40% of the mast's actual height...

As to the rocks, I like how small they are - it makes the whole MOC look as if the ship's captain was navigating through some treacherous straits... Sea rocks don't usually have to be huge to be dangerous ;) Perhaps you could still try and position one of those diagonally - I think that would add to the feeling of movement here. If you choose to go for the ship docking scene suggested by Tereglith though, I think you should try an off-loading scene, with crates being hauled off her under the captain's supervision (and yes, a monkey wouldn't go amiss in such a scene ;) ).

Regardless of whether or how you modify this MOC though, I still think it's one of the top contenders in the medium category. Lovely entry Tom :) Best of luck in the competition!

I love the no-nonsense, no-cannons approach, that's a hardcore trader right there :pir_laugh2: The captain's cabin also looks very cozy - extra points there for adding playability by making the top come off so easily. My only gripe with the ship's design is the fact that there's a bit too much hull space at the bow that cannot be used due to the way you've placed the brown tiles to cover up the front mast... Freeing some of that space up would probably make the whole ship look even better! I'm also not sure about the height at which the sail is positioned at - perhaps you could have added another one just below the sail on top to make it look more realistic? Or another front sail? The way the single sail is positioned now, I'd guess it just makes use of 40% of the mast's actual height...

I agree with these comments on the boat, but I really like the color scheme and the fact that it's a merchant ship for a change. Furthermore, the bow of the boat looks a little flat compared to the mid-section of the ship. My intuitive reaction would be to raise the front of the ship a little, but I'm no ship expert so perhaps what you've built is pretty accurate.

Very nice little boat :pir-blush: but it is not actual ship :pir-sceptic: sorry but it's too small still i like the idea of using that boatbow from venice chase- i built fishermans boat from a that didn't posted it though- well i may