Sign in to follow this  
CaptainRex110

REVIEW: 8188 Fire Blaster (Power Miners)

On a scale of 1 to 5  

52 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 1 - Poor
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

I just found this neat little set at my local Toys-R-Us today for US $9.99.

(Please excuse the quality of this review, I have never done one before. :grin: Also, there's no pictures of the pieces in the bags or of the sicker sheet (there were only four tiny stickers anyway) because I took the pictures after I built it. Please leave comments below so I know what to do differently next time. :classic:)

Basic Information

Name: Fire Blaster

Item #: 8188

Pieces: 67

Minifigs: 2

Released: 2009/2010

Theme: Power Miners

The Review

More pictures can be found at Flickr.

The front of the box shows off the set along with the new miner and Lava Monster.

4123149740_eb5fdbb1b5.jpg

The back shows the basic functions including the usual flick-fire missile....with dynamite and the miner's new visor.

4122379289_b413a983ee.jpg

And the instruction booklet.

4122380631_fe760e77ce.jpg

A random building step.

4123156154_68b349fdb5.jpg

The pieces inventory.

4123160608_062d84c026.jpg

The page showing off all of the new Lava Monsters. I'm really liking the new monsters and the new head molds, but I am really looking forward to Eruptorr and all the new fire pieces.

4123163464_e7dc9ff578.jpg

The ad for 8189.

4123165774_02d4c440df.jpg

And for the new Lego movie.

4122461095_289e0b669a.jpg

Although this is not really important, I figured that I would show it because they finally changed the ad on the back for the survey after I don't even know how many years. I like the old design for it better.

4122457083_4e441d2536.jpg

Here are the minifigures included. I really like the new silver miner (Rex) and the way the theme has been evolving. However, obviously, my favorite part is Combustix. He is just awesome! But, LEGO really cheaped-out with the crystal. I mean really? Would it have been that hard to make it match him???

4122489609_462c019560.jpg

4122493159_cfddf8e7a9.jpg

Rex.

4122494095_2fc14c79f2.jpg

4122495063_947a9287fb.jpg

With visor down.

4122500371_70aff39e44.jpg

And detached.

4122502415_3348849288.jpg

Combustix (which he does have black printing on the sides of his head as well as the eyes.)

4122504341_924d680564.jpg

4122506275_e694f53dc1.jpg

4122508539_cfe3bafeef.jpg

4123281098_dd9499703d.jpg

4123282184_ea7afaac44.jpg

Finally, on to the set. Here we have to completed set from every angle.

4123243612_681efa1a88.jpg

4122473391_7954bc2cc7.jpg

4122474853_15f2ab4782.jpg

4123250820_b660992895.jpg

In action.

4123255418_559b1a06a2.jpg

Extra pieces.

4123260026_063cb1f50d.jpg

Result

Design: 9/10 I really like the design of this vehicle. It really uses the small amount of parts well.

Parts: 8/10 Pretty good for all parts, and you get the new water tank piece and the always welcome dynamite.

Build: 8/10 It's a built. It's short and to the point.

Minifigures: 10/10 Maybe it's just me - I love the new minifigures. I think that they are just amazing.

Price: 8/10 Not very many pieces for the price, but still not that bad.

Playability: 8/10 I think it fits well with the other PM sets and adds a new level of play it the theme.

Total: 51/60 A nice little set. I tend to really like Power Miners sets, especially the new ones, but I think that all in all, it's a pretty neat little set and had great minifigures. It's also only $10. I recommend picking one up when they are more widely available.

Thanks for reading! :sweet:

Edited by WhiteFang
Indexed and poll added

Only thing I like here are the figures. Love the new monsters for sure!

Great review.

How is this frontpaged with no comments? Oh well great review the combustix fig is sweet! :classic:

Thanks for the review. I just picked up this set today as well, and I really like it. I especially like the fact that it really doesn't lose much if you decide to leave off the stickers.

Thanks for the review. :thumbup: Especially thanks for the photo of the inventory page. Now I was able to confirm that this set is meant to come with a trans-lime crystal. Too bad, since this was our one chance to get a trans-yellow one. They were able to make all the other colors, so why not this one? :sceptic: Oh well, it's still a neat set with awesome figs, so I'll be getting one. :classic:

Edited by Oky Wan Kenobi

How is this frontpaged with no comments? Oh well great review the combustix fig is sweet! :classic:

Um, it's a 2010 brand new set. Makes perfect sense to me.

I think the pics are of great quality, the op should look into the reviewers academy if he wants to do more reviews, I think he'd do well.

Thanks for the review! A nice set, I really like the new silver figs. There were actually yellow crystals in one PM set (with the large yellow rock monster), so it's weird that they didn't put one in this set.

Nice photography, by the way. May I suggest joining the Reviewer's Academy?

I'm liking the new silver minifigs and the new rock monsters as well. I am disappointed the crystal isn't the same color as the rock monster, but for the price, it's acceptable. I was sort of looking forward to a yellow crystal like on the box, but I guess a green one would be fine too.

I will be getting this set. I love the visor and the use of blue parts there. The water part and the dome both are some pieces I have been wanting. For 10$ this is a good set

This is one Power Miner set that I am quite tempted to get, mainly because of the silver looking miner. It's just look so cool to have it inside your collection for some modification. Thanks for sharing this review with us. :classic:

If lego will do power miners 2010 first wave combo-pack i will buy it(maybe or just buy all lava monsters :classic: ).Good review as the set.Buti think it's overpriced about 1 dollar,i think :sadnew: .

This is one Power Miner set that I am quite tempted to get, mainly because of the silver looking miner. It's just look so cool to have it inside your collection for some modification. Thanks for sharing this review with us. :classic:

My sentiments exactly, I may actually get a PM set after all. Thanks for the great review Rex.

Great little set with some nice parts. Thanks for the review.

Not into PM, but I just might 'need to' get it when I find it on sale somewhere, sometime, someway...

Thanks for the Review. :thumbup:

Nice little set. I really like the little monsters and of course the silver outfit of the miner. The vehicle itself looks great.

What I dislike: No yellow christal that fits to the colour of the monster .... and can't see those rims anymore.

Would finally like to see some new rims for this wheel size in the near future.

Will definitely buy this set.

Thanks for the review! Though I was quite excited for this set at first there is now a chance I will pass on it. The most valuable parts of the set for me was the blue fire piece and the minifig, but if that comes in an impulse or cheaper set I'll perhaps skip this altogether unless it is very cheap. Plus I have no idea what to do with those rock monsters.

Batbrick Away! :devil:

Looks like a great and fun little set. Perfect for the kids who might not have seen the PM stuff before.

Great review! The figures really are key to this set, and there seems to be an excellent parts selection for the price of the set.

It is interesting to that the new visor for the Power Miners is an updated Ice Planet visor without the antenna. I definitely have

to pick this one up!

Has nobody noticed the new 4x4 round brick, used in this set in the blue version ?

This is the counterpart to the similar 4x4 plate, and will mount on the same base. The new brick will "click" though during rotation, not running completely freely as the plate.

New Brick:

Plate:

Common Base:

Edited by Front

Has nobody noticed the new 4x4 round brick, used in this set in the blue version ?

This is the counterpart to the similar 4x4 plate, and will mount on the same base. The new brick will "click" though during rotation, not running completely freely as the plate.

New Brick:

Plate:

Common Base:

I did. Do I get a prize? :laugh:

Great review. I will deffinatley get it now.

Edited by The crazy one

Great review!

The figure are much better than I expected! We get a new magma/lava monster with trans-yellow body and head, black arms, and new printing on the body!

I also love the new printing for the silver Power Miner and that new headset visor piece!

The set doesn't seem that good now after your review, but I still like it.

Unfortunately I probably won't be getting it though because of all of the other sets.

Also, if your guys' appetites need to be whetted, you can read another review on the Mostly Bricks blog. :wink:

http://mostlybricks.com/2009/11/21/review-...8-fire-blaster/

Awesome, now we won't have Technic holes on all four sides of the round part! :sweet: Edited by ILikePi

I rated it "above average", because I don't know what the European price will be. This is the second best ever set in PM history, to me (the best one being Granite grinder).

And thanks for the review!

Looks a nice little set and thanks for the review, I like the new rock monster style but as has been said I think I'll wait to see what the European price is going to be before I comment further on this set.