Nabii

LEGO Collectable Minifigures General Discussion

However, these are only valid for bags sold in Eastern and Central Europe. USA and UK seem to have different barcodes, unfortunately.
Ah, that sucks. Hopefully when these come out to North America and the UK, someone will do the same thing as these kind people have done. :classic:

Also, it seems that the barcodes are actually quite easy to differentiate! That'll help people who don't have scanners/cell phones very greatly. :sweet:

That is great if you live in Europe :grin:

However I think that the same will be true for USA, different bar codes but different numbers from Europe. :wink:

Also, it seems that the barcodes are actually quite easy to differentiate! That'll help people who don't have scanners/cell phones very greatly. :sweet:

Yeah I thought it would only be really small changes that would be really hard to see with the naked eye. Its great news!

This is indeed great news. However: I doubt that shops will give you a change to check the barcodes as they'll probably put them behind the counter.

The bags are too small to put in a shop where people can easily steal them.

This is indeed great news. However: I doubt that shops will give you a change to check the barcodes as they'll probably put them behind the counter.

See, I am not the only one who is saying this!

So far Argos is the only place confirmed to be selling them, which means you do not even get to see them in the box! (Unless they decide to make it faster and just keep them under the counter). Heck, In ASDA (the nexrt most likely place to sell them) All the Lego sets, from the hugest to the smallest, have the same sort of security tags as DVDs and CDs!

Probably depends on the shop.

I think in the LEGO stores (at least here in Germany) they will give people a chance to "feel" the bags in order to guess the contents before buying. After all that's half of the fun, especially for kids.

I actually find it quite amusing that people are coming up with these "apps" for the bar codes.

Lego had a good idea to have the figs hidden in the packaging. It surely increased speculation and I'm sure they will be in higher demand because of it. Are people that worried they might get a double?! Oh No! More for the collection!

I am buying a case, so maybe I have a different view on this, but if I wasn't, the randomness is what makes it fun.

Did anyone ever by hockey cards? You never knew what was inside.......and that was the best part!

On a side note, I agree with the theory that some stores will have these behind/close to the cash to deter theft.

Edited by legomaniac83

I actually find it quite amusing that people are coming up with these "apps" for the bar codes.

Lego had a good idea to have the figs hidden in the packaging. It surely increased speculation and I'm sure they will be in higher demand because of it. Are people that worried they might get a double?! Oh No! More for the collection!

I am buying a case, so maybe I have a different view on this, but if I wasn't, the randomness is what makes it fun.

Did anyone ever by hockey cards? You never knew what was inside.......and that was the best part!

On a side note, I agree with the theory that some stores will have these behind/close to the cash to deter theft.

Glad to see somebody agrees. LEGO's not doing this to be mean to us or anything, and it does no harm to get extras (especially since what I've heard implies that they're all the same rarity). If anything, people should be upset about the barcodes because selfish people who are in the know might buy the figs they want in bulk (I predict this especially considering the zombie, since apocalyptic MOCs are such a popular genre right now), leaving none for those who want to enjoy the true spirit of collecting. The barcodes might be some of the most terrible news we've gotten in that regard-- they'll primarily benefit stingy people with selfish interests, and leave ignorant children and casual collectors in the dust.

I don't know about keeping these behind a counter-- most stores I'm familiar with here in the United States keep Pokemon cards and the like out in the open, and have sensors to detect if you're stealing things from the store. But perhaps I'm misunderstanding the situation here, or perhaps it's just different in other countries.

It does make sense if the minifig bags will be behind or under the counter, or even at least near the point of sale - but if someone is going to steal, sadly they will.

Besides that I think it will be really random even packing them in the display boxes, so there won't be an even number of any one minifig unlike the impulse merchandisers have their set number of each themed box.

I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

Glad to see somebody agrees. LEGO's not doing this to be mean to us or anything, and it does no harm to get extras (especially since what I've heard implies that they're all the same rarity). If anything, people should be upset about the barcodes because selfish people who are in the know might buy the figs they want in bulk (I predict this especially considering the zombie, since apocalyptic MOCs are such a popular genre right now), leaving none for those who want to enjoy the true spirit of collecting. The barcodes might be some of the most terrible news we've gotten in that regard-- they'll primarily benefit stingy people with selfish interests, and leave ignorant children and casual collectors in the dust.

Excellent point! At first, I was quite pleased with the bar code news even though they won't be in the US for awhile and the codes don't apply (obviously, someone will do the same here in good time). Now, I'm kind of hoping someone doesn't decipher the bar codes. Not only does it remove the thrill and surprise of it, it robs the casual AFOL of getting good ones like zombies.

And the children! Think of the children! Those poor children! (I say this now, but I'll totally knock over a preschooler to get the last one of these in the store.)

So thanks for the different viewpoint. I'm actually looking forward to the surprise of it all.

Of course, I say that now, but after I get my 17th Crash Test Dummy in a row, I might turn to the dark side.

I think in the LEGO stores (at least here in Germany) they will give people a chance to "feel" the bags in order to guess the contents before buying. After all that's half of the fun, especially for kids.

Yes, there's nothing more appealing than the thought of dozens of kids and AFOLS furiously masticating small polybags with their thumbs and fingers trying to identify what's inside and probably breaking the softer plastic accessories :hmpf_bad:

(I say this now, but I'll totally knock over a preschooler to get the last one of these in the store.)

Everyone does seem a little over-excited at this point in time, pre-release. But if what Brickset says is true and Wave 1 will be around until September, once the initial buying frenzy on behalf of AFOLs ends, I see no reason why restocks won't feature a more balanced selection. It is really only AFOLs who are going crazy with anticipation at this stage. Once these hit US Bricklink in vast quantities it will soon become apparent that if you want, say, 24 Cheerleaders, it's going to be easier just to buy them from there.

Most of them are ambassadors who are getting them from Lego.

I have to wait a week for these things...

I agree that LEGO did a mistake by putting that second barcode on the bags that enables people to distinguish the figures (maybe they will correct this mistake with the second series available in September).

However, that barcode does exist, and some people do have camera phones with barcode software, so those people are at an advantage.

This barcode PDF that you can print out enables people who don't have such a phone to do the same. So it improves fairness, actually.

Also keep in mind that it is actually quite easy to recognize the minifigure by feeling its shape through the bag. Everybody can do this, and this might be even quicker than comparing barcodes. Each of the 16 figures includes some unique shape of accessory or headgear. Another way to avoid duplicates is to cut out the barcodes of the bags that you've already bought and glue them to a sheet of paper, effectively creating your own barcode collection. Probably many non-AFOLs (even kids) will do this, as soon as they've bought two bags and noticed that the only difference is in the barcodes. Kid's aren't that dumb.

Another way to avoid duplicates is to cut out the barcodes of the bags that you've already bought and glue them to a sheet of paper, effectively creating your own barcode collection. Probably many non-AFOLs (even kids) will do this, as soon as they've bought two bags and noticed that the only difference is in the barcodes. Kid's aren't that dumb.

Or if one wants to buy all 16 in one go, they can just browse through all the bags until they find 16 different barcodes. I wonder if the salespeople will have patience for this, though, as it'll take quite a while. :laugh:

Of course, I say that now, but after I get my 17th Crash Test Dummy in a row, I might turn to the dark side.

Yeah, my biggest fear with these guys is that I get a mountain of Crash Test Dummies. :cry_sad:

My understanding of all this barcode nonsense is not that people are afraid of getting doubles, but rather they're looking to identify these army-builder figs they want. I'm sure many of us will be happy with one or two zombies, but you know there's gonna be that one guy with the iPhone looking to track down 40 or 50. I just want the entire set, and beyond that a few extra Robin Hoods or Native Americans. If that means I get a few extra ninjas or cheerleaders, I can certainly live with that.

I'm sure many of us will be happy with one or two zombies, but you know there's gonna be that one guy with the iPhone looking to track down 40 or 50.

One way around the iPhone geek syndrom is to buy from stores where the randomness is guaranteed, ie where the buyer is not in contact with the product and has no opportunity to choose (I have Argos in the UK in mind). Then of course, if there are iPhone-equipped Argos employees setting minifigs aside in the warehouse, there's nothing to be done about THAT :sceptic:

Yeah, my biggest fear with these guys is that I get a mountain of Crash Test Dummies. :cry_sad:

What is it with you people and the fear of getting all these crash test dummies? I actually like this figure, it's one of my favorites of the first series, and I would love to have a mountain of them! I guess people are just different in their likes and dislikes :tongue: Of course, I too want to have at least one of each, and then some extra of my favorites, and if looking at the barcodes is going to help me achieve that without spending too much money, then look at the barcodes I will :classic:

Some of us have better things to spend money on than a case of plastic men, you know like food, water, power, rent, things like that. I'd love to be able to spend $120 on a case and get 3 of each figure, I can't. So instead of getting the same two guys 5 times each I rather get 10 different guys.

I don't really mind this second barcode thing for now.

I can fully understand that some people would want to get the minifigures using any means neccesary without spending so much money.

It can be on their conscious that because of their actions they've probably caused someone else to be in the very same situation that they were in the first place.

If I end up with a load of crash test dummys so that (as Aanchir put it) stingy people with selfish interests, I will be angry but eventually I'll find a use for them. (Hopefully) Unfortunetly the world is full of people like that and everyone else has to make do.

This is bad. I won't go into detail, but putting a "tell" on a "blind" purchase is a very bad idea. This will end ugly.

Lego made a big mistake.

Ahab out................................

I don't think the barcode search is (not the word I'm thinking of-->) good. I don't want to go through millions of pages to find answers, but:

Is it true they are only available for one month?

And if so, what months are they coming in?(for Virginia?)

I don't like the ones coming later too much, they do have new parts but in my opinion they should stop doing a boy and a girl for the one theme, or a singer and a dancer for another. :hmpf_bad: I still don't have any idea what the packaging is like... :wacko:

This really blows, of all the possible ways to do this, making them only partially random is the worst thing LEGO could do. Now people will have unfair advantages and at the end kids will end getting tons of scuba drivers after the AFOLs took out all the robots. Bad stuff.

I am an AFOL and demand is not that big in here so it does not affect me but I think this ruined the experience for a lot of kids that won't have access to this information. I hope they fix this mistake in season 2, either make it completely random or make it completely transparent. The middle ground is terrible for these things.

Some of you guys already have bad feelings about this, and the 1st wave isn't out yet! So just calm down and wait till they come out, THEN you can start ranting. :sadnew:

Rockets away! :skull:

I don't think the barcode search is (not the word I'm thinking of-->) good. I don't want to go through millions of pages to find answers, but:

Is it true they are only available for one month?

There suppose to come out in june i think. Then wave 2 comes out in august. It wont be a blind purchase since according to people i have heard from you can feel the parts in the bag. So that will be easy to identify who is who. I just hope these arent sold behind the counter at stores.

LegoGalactus