Nabii

LEGO Collectable Minifigures General Discussion

nope Roman Centurion you should get to know the varying Roman uniforms out there.

Romans used rectangular, circle and oval shields.

Also there is nothing on that fig that says greek, from its helmet to its shield it screams Roman.

We will simply have to agree to disagree. To me the figure looks like a Greek hoplite and until LEGO says otherwise, that's how I see him. You collect Romans; I'll collect Greeks. That way we're both happy.

We will simply have to agree to disagree. To me the figure looks like a Greek hoplite and until LEGO says otherwise, that's how I see him. You collect Romans; I'll collect Greeks. That way we're both happy.

Actually I create Romans and Greeks along with Crusaders and such, in fact most of my Armies are one form of Ancient army or another.

Anyone confirm to have seen these figs elsewhere in the US besides TRU? I bought 3 of them this morning, but the price increase prevented me from getting anymore. It would be nice if Walmart or some other company had them on sale for the MSRP. :sceptic:

Hey fellas, (arguing over the Greek/Roman soldier) how many Roman soldiers had a moustache?

I think this guy is just a Lego invented soldier, he seems to be a mixture of ancient sorts.

Hey fellas, (arguing over the Greek/Roman soldier) how many Roman soldiers had a moustache?

I think this guy is just a Lego invented soldier, he seems to be a mixture of ancient sorts.

Quite a few actually, remember Roman soldiers were from all over the Roman empire (which included Greece).

and as far as we know LEGO could call the guys Persians or whatever strikes their fancy.

Whatever the origin of the ancient soldier, Roman centurion or legionaire, Greek hoplite, Spartan soldier, Trojan warrior, warrior from Mycenae, etc., I am going to hoard tons of him!

I was wondering when a Romans vs Greeks argument was going to break out. I'm surprised it took so long. I've been calling him a Roman out of habit. It makes more sense for Lego to produce a Roman before a Greek because they're simply more well-known among kids. They see a guy in golden armour carrying a spear? They think Roman, gladiator, legionnaire. Not Greek.

As for the surfer dude, yeah, I meant to mention that his hairpiece is just as useful as his torso. It'll be perfect for my Ken Masters minifig.

Edited by Dunjohn

I cant see the roman resemblance really. To me its a hoplite. In the pictures asterios posted, the minifig bears much more resemblance to the greek than the roman. And yes of course rome 'borrowed' many ideas from greek culture, but ask 99% of people to think of a roman soldier, this is what they would picture: square red shield, no nose piece, silver plate armour etc.

romansoldier02.jpg

And a greek, most people would think of the film 300, which would be this guy:

gerard_butler300.jpg

Who bears a striking resemblance to the minifig! To be honest watching 300 was probably the entire research tlg conducted anyway. Dont forget this is meant for kids, who arnt going "hmm this looks like a pre-marian roman soldier", they are just going to be playing with them.

Hopefully the roman legionnaire will make an appearance in series 3, along with a gladiator. I would get loads of those as well !

Pfft everyone knows that Roman soldiers look like this:

asterix111.jpg

asterix91.jpg

Haha

And soon thereafter:

1166916658_9fc33b5e8a_o.png

Asterix should be made in Lego...

Anyone confirm to have seen these figs elsewhere in the US besides TRU? I bought 3 of them this morning, but the price increase prevented me from getting anymore. It would be nice if Walmart or some other company had them on sale for the MSRP. :sceptic:

YES!

I have personally bought them at Toy R Us and Borders Bookstore. I have confirmation from making calls to other stores that they are available at LEGO Brand Stores and FIVE BELOW dollar stores (unbelievable, right?!). With them coming into stores like FIVE BELOW I still think we may start to see them at bigger box stores like Wal-Mart or Target, but that is nothing more than speculation.

Some tips, if you see what you want buy it now, just in case. At Borders you can type 'LEGO' into their public inventory computers to see how many figs they have. You'll see "LEGO Minifigure Volume 1" Those are the figs. If they have them in stock according to the computer be sure to ask an associate. When I went over there they had 79 in the system and they were all behind the counter 'on hold'! The associate was kind enough to let me pick out the ones I wanted (2 Zombies, 1 Cowboy, 1 Robot, 1 Ninja, 1 Wrestler, 1 Nurse).

CONFIRMED US STORES:

LEGO Brand Stores $1.99

Toys R Us $1.99-$2.49

Borders Books $2.99

Five Below $1.99

If you know of more, please post! Good hunting, and don't forget your barcode sheet! BTW, I'm in the Alexandria, VA area if that helps.

Edited by jerba

add another store that carries the minifigures - fivebelow! going for $1.99 too! :tongue::thumbup: stores that sell at msrp seem to sell out fast though. TRU and borders still have tons lying around. probably loads of dummies and magicians from return purchases (after swapping out their crappier stuff for the better ones, no doubt).

Five Below??? Wow-- even though I'm satisified with my Series 1, I'm tempted to go over there and pick out a few more Forestmen and Tribal Hunters, and maybe even a few more Cowboys or a Cheerleader.

Am I the only one who thinks the word Collectible is one of the most dangerous terms in the English language???

As for the allure of the Surfer in Series 2, it's just that the sum of its parts is much more valuable than the fig itself. The hair is great and can be used for many characters, new great head, and the bare-chested torso is one of the single most valuable body parts in both Series 1 and 2 just for its versatility. I can easily see my pirate crew growing by 3 or 4 just by having a few going shirtless thanks to multiples of the surfer. Sure, I'll have an unwanted abundance of trunks, but you'll have that, I suppose.

Question about the upcoming Spartan/Roman/Greek/etc. figure in Series 2: If it's so clear that we all want mountains of these, why not produce more of this figure than any other in the series? In a typical Series 1 box it seems that there are between 3-5 of each figure, but the Spartan is clearly going to be the MVP of the next run-- Why not include 6-8 of him and cut back on some of the others? Obviously they're already packaging them and it's too late... but it seems like everyone would be happy if it was not hard to get plenty of this fig over the others.

My other question, for any and all, is-- how many Spartans do you want? 5? 10? 20? 100???

I'd love six, but I'm not a straight army builder like others are. Thoughts?

My other question, for any and all, is-- how many Spartans do you want? 5? 10? 20? 100???

I'd love six, but I'm not a straight army builder like others are. Thoughts?

Im hoping to get 5-10 of the Spartans. The zombie and the spartan are my favorites of the 2 waves.

LegoGalactus

I'm not an army builder either, and I think I'd be happy with three. They're not like the Zombies, which I am trying to amass, because Zombies are quite versatile while the Romans can pretty much be used for one thing only. Two, counting costume parties or tour guides. So yeah, three figs for me, a patrol commander and his two subordinates for display. I don't think there are any in Series 2 that I'd like large numbers of.

On another note, I was cleaning out my backpack this morning and found an unopened pack from the batch I got a week ago! Yay, a Caveman! Made my day!

Edited by Dunjohn

Well knowing LEGO they will want to be politically correct so they will probably call it Ancient warrior or such which will not resolve any issue.

The only issue I know of is the one you are making. Just let people call it what they want. Its LEGO, its supposed to be fun.

I'm not an army builder either, and I think I'd be happy with three. They're not like the Zombies, which I am trying to amass, because Zombies are quite versatile while the Romans can pretty much be used for one thing only. Two, counting costume parties or tour guides. So yeah, three figs for me, a patrol commander and his two subordinates for display. I don't think there are any in Series 2 that I'd like large numbers of.

The spartans can also be used for Conventions, statues, etc.

Im going back to the Lego store today, hoping they have more collectible minifigures. I agree with you Mr. Elijah Timms, the word collectible is a dangerous word especially for the wallet.

LegoGalactus

Just got back from the Lego Store, and managed to pick up 13. (3 spacemen, 3 skaters, 2 robots, a nurse, zombie, cowboy, boxer, and clown.) I brought my bar code list and i wasn't very accurate (mistook spacemen for clowns and skaters for zombies :sceptic: )However i did manage to help some little kids get the ones they wanted, as well as some adults.

I cant see the roman resemblance really. To me its a hoplite. In the pictures asterios posted, the minifig bears much more resemblance to the greek than the roman. And yes of course rome 'borrowed' many ideas from greek culture, but ask 99% of people to think of a roman soldier, this is what they would picture: square red shield, no nose piece, silver plate armour etc.

romansoldier02.jpg

And a greek, most people would think of the film 300, which would be this guy:

gerard_butler300.jpg

Who bears a striking resemblance to the minifig! To be honest watching 300 was probably the entire research tlg conducted anyway. Dont forget this is meant for kids, who arnt going "hmm this looks like a pre-marian roman soldier", they are just going to be playing with them.

Hopefully the roman legionnaire will make an appearance in series 3, along with a gladiator. I would get loads of those as well !

The first pic you shoiw is what is known as the Hollywood Roman, that roman armor and design were not around for along time, but thanks to Hollywood they have inducted many non-truth seekers into thinking that is the only Roman design, wake up go learn something.

as to the second pic, that is still nothing like the roman minifig since doubt even the spartans would clasp things onto their own skin, you will notice the mninifig is wearing a bronze cuiraiss with clasps on it towards the top of the shoulders.

so squiz check more carefully next time.

I say he's neither, so I'll just call him the Gladiator.

I see a lot of people calling the surfer dude a favourite in Series 2, why is that? Is it just the barechested torso, or are there other reasons? He's low on my own list of priorities.

There are some things that could make it better:

-Dark tan hair

-Matching hair/facial hair

-Not copying off of other minifigs

The first pic you shoiw is what is known as the Hollywood Roman, that roman armor and design were not around for along time, but thanks to Hollywood they have inducted many non-truth seekers into thinking that is the only Roman design, wake up go learn something.

as to the second pic, that is still nothing like the roman minifig since doubt even the spartans would clasp things onto their own skin, you will notice the mninifig is wearing a bronze cuiraiss with clasps on it towards the top of the shoulders.

Point the First: Does it really matter what the figure is? It looks cool and ticks the Historic Minifig box.

Point the Second: I live about six miles from Isca Silurum, and Romans were a large part of my history education, that design of armour may not have been hugely prevelant, but is certainly the most recognised form of Roman Soldier about, thus the sort of look Lego would use for a true Roman mnifig. I think if you wish to persue this discussion, this thread is better suited to the task.

I cant believe im even bothering to come back to this. Your just a wind up merchant. But here we go.

1)Not once did i say that the Lorica segmentata was the only armour ever worn by romans. I said thats what most people would think of when asked to describe a roman soldier. If TLG were to do a roman, then im sure they would go with the holywood version as that is what people relate to.

2)Hoplites did wear breastplates, there are many examples in various museums.

Im not going to be drawn on this anymore. Its a forum for lego, not for the finer points of ancient warfare. In my mind its a hoplite, and you have provided nothing definitive to suggest otherwise.

now lets get back on topic! when are the series 3 pictures coming out ? :tongue:

Edit: sorry peppermint, didnt see your reply. You just quicker than me i guess :tongue: wont be discussing it further.

Edited by squiz

I cant believe im even bothering to come back to this. Your just a wind up merchant. But here we go.

1)Not once did i say that the Lorica segmentata was the only armour ever worn by romans. I said thats what most people would think of when asked to describe a roman soldier. If TLG were to do a roman, then im sure they would go with the holywood version as that is what people relate to.

2)Hoplites did wear breastplates, there are many examples in various museums.

Im not going to be drawn on this anymore. Its a forum for lego, not for the finer points of ancient warfare. In my mind its a hoplite, and you have provided nothing definitive to suggest otherwise.

now lets get back on topic! when are the series 3 pictures coming out ? :tongue:

and you have provided nothing that says its a hoplite either since the majority who know of hoplites think of them with the white leather armor as shown in my picture, in fact if you check greek hoplites 99% of the pictures will show that white armor since that was the common armor used thru out all of the city-states of Greece.

and you have provided nothing that says its a hoplite either since the majority who know of hoplites think of them with the white leather armor as shown in my picture, in fact if you check greek hoplites 99% of the pictures will show that white armor since that was the common armor used thru out all of the city-states of Greece.

Actually, I think this thread should be for general discussion about the Minifigs Collection Series.

If anybody has any personal argument, please use the PM system to have a private converation on it and do not spam this thread. Thanks all :classic:

I think he is just a modern day crazy person who thinks he is an old time warrior and thus dresses like one. I'll believe that until it is otherwise stated by LEGO.

I hope that I am not bringing up an older subject but I noticed that my "Forestman" minifig was made of the inferior plastic that I thought was being/been remedied. His hands are a faded yellow and the legs and torso are of a noticeably different kind of plastic. This is rather upsetting considering they are now sold out. It might has already been discussed but has anyone noticed similar problems?