Nabii

LEGO Collectable Minifigures General Discussion

It sounds to me like a policy of that specific store near Inconspicuous, or one or more individuals working there. Given the diverse opinions expressed in this thread about what's appropriate buying behavior and what's not, it seems likely to me that some individual store personnel would have strong opinions on whether buying entire boxes is acceptable or not, and that at least some might disallow it (presumably unaware of the TRU chain's policy against purchase limits if they indeed have one).

Inconspicuous, I think there are a few things you (or anyone else trying to find these things, or trying to get more of them than you've been able to so far) might try. First of all, be aware that they are still new, and a lot of stores simply don't have them yet but can be expected to get them sometime in the next few weeks; I suspect this is the case with Target, Walmart, etc throughout the US. Secondly, remember that LEGO is sold at other stores beside just the big box mass-market chains. I occasionally buy my LEGO stuff from a couple of small independent toy stores here in my own city; as it happens, neither of these have the minifigures yet, but people at both stores have informed me that they've ordered them and should get them. Finally, remember there's always the internet. Someone here at some point noted one could preorder boxes of series 1 figures from Entertainment Earth; they're sold out now, but it might be worth keeping an eye on them in case they get some more, as well as checking out other online vendors.

actually a couple online places have had to cancel pre-orders due to limited availability since LEGO is limiting the amount of boxs being sent out(friend of mine gloated about pre-ordering his online only to get an email stating due to innsufficent supplies being delivered his pre-order was being cancelled), in fact think someone mentioned it was like 2 cases per retail location or such, also with series 2 to be released soon don't think series one will be around long.

I'm looking to buy a complete box. My local Toys R Us and Lego store won't let me buy one (if they even had them in stock), and the local Targets and Walmarts don't carry them either. Any ideas on where I could get a complete box?

I'm surprised your local TRU won't allow you to buy a complete box since I've bought 2 from my local TRU and would have bought a third today if I had the money.

Also on a side note TRU has a policy not to place purchase limits on products in store.

It sounds to me like a policy of that specific store near Inconspicuous, or one or more individuals working there. Given the diverse opinions expressed in this thread about what's appropriate buying behavior and what's not, it seems likely to me that some individual store personnel would have strong opinions on whether buying entire boxes is acceptable or not, and that at least some might disallow it (presumably unaware of the TRU chain's policy against purchase limits if they indeed have one).

Inconspicuous, I think there are a few things you (or anyone else trying to find these things, or trying to get more of them than you've been able to so far) might try. First of all, be aware that they are still new, and a lot of stores simply don't have them yet but can be expected to get them sometime in the next few weeks; I suspect this is the case with Target, Walmart, etc throughout the US. Secondly, remember that LEGO is sold at other stores beside just the big box mass-market chains. I occasionally buy my LEGO stuff from a couple of small independent toy stores here in my own city; as it happens, neither of these have the minifigures yet, but people at both stores have informed me that they've ordered them and should get them. Finally, remember there's always the internet. Someone here at some point noted one could preorder boxes of series 1 figures from Entertainment Earth; they're sold out now, but it might be worth keeping an eye on them in case they get some more, as well as checking out other online vendors.

Also, keep in mind that a number of S@H sites have sold out, I'd say they're really popular, and there's not many left. I could be wrong, but it seems to make sense?

Edit:

actually a couple online places have had to cancel pre-orders due to limited availability since LEGO is limiting the amount of boxs being sent out(friend of mine gloated about pre-ordering his online only to get an email stating due to innsufficent supplies being delivered his pre-order was being cancelled), in fact think someone mentioned it was like 2 cases per retail location or such, also with series 2 to be released soon don't think series one will be around long.

what he said

Edited by Artanis I

I'm surprised your local TRU won't allow you to buy a complete box since I've bought 2 from my local TRU and would have bought a third today if I had the money.

Also on a side note TRU has a policy not to place purchase limits on products in store.

It sounds to me like a policy of that specific store near Inconspicuous, or one or more individuals working there.

I can try calling back tomorrow. They said they might be getting some in stock, and perhaps I can use that policy against them (thanks for bringing that to my attention!). They said there was a "16 figure limit" since that's how many there are total. :wacko: I'll try my luck.

First of all, be aware that they are still new, and a lot of stores simply don't have them yet but can be expected to get them sometime in the next few weeks; I suspect this is the case with Target, Walmart, etc throughout the US.

Also, keep in mind that a number of S@H sites have sold out, I'd say they're really popular, and there's not many left. I could be wrong, but it seems to make sense?

Blondie-Wan, I think that Artanis I is correct here. With so many places being sold out already, I find it unlikely that they would get them later, especially with a second wave awfully close. I'll keep that in my mind though, in case you turn out to be right.

Secondly, remember that LEGO is sold at other stores beside just the big box mass-market chains.

I don't know of any small toy stores around that would sell them. Generally, at least in my experiences, small stores have prices that are quite high.

Finally, remember there's always the internet.

Shipping costs on such a big box turn me away, so that would be my last resort.

Thanks so much for the quick and useful advice Asterios, Blondie-Wan, and Artanis I!

By the way, does anyone here live in Austin, Texas and know of a place you can pick up a box? I'm going there in a week, and I might be able to leave room for one in my suitcase.

I can try calling back tomorrow. They said they might be getting some in stock, and perhaps I can use that policy against them (thanks for bringing that to my attention!). They said there was a "16 figure limit" since that's how many there are total. :wacko: I'll try my luck.

And I thought that America was the land of the free and the home of the statue of liberty... In Germany, I did not face any buying constraints (except from the female sellers behind the counter that found it quite odd that a 37 year old like me went through the box picking out the figs he wanted). :blush:

Anyhow, series 1 is nearly sold out and almost everything is in the secondary market by now. TLG got caught by surprise and obviously did not expect that this product would become such an easy seller. The store owners I spoke told me that they maybe got 2-3 boxes max. at the end of May / early June. It's mid June and they already sold most of what they had. I got there a few days ago (did not have time to travel to Germany earlier due to other obligations) and it appeared that all they had left was in that last opened box near the cash register. In 1 or 2 stores, the boxes were still filled to the top and the leftovers (mainly spacemen, demolition dummies, robots, divers and magicians) from the previous box were simply thrown on top of it. Other stores maybe had about 28 - 40 bags left and that was it. What they did know is that there would be no extra supply so if they are sold out, they are gone forgood and all you can do is trade with other people or buy them online.

I am sure, TLG will anticipate on the demand and provide bigger quantities of series 2. It might actually be a lot easier to buy complete boxes of series 2 since the supply will certainly be better. And of course, each store owner is a lot happier when someone comes in and decides to buy a full box. It is a definite sale and there is no more risk of people secretly taking 1 or 2 bags from the box without paying for them. The risk of theft is why these small and in demand A-brand items are usually displayed near the cash register so the store owner or staff can keep an eye on them.

I'm sorry if this has been brought up before; if it has can someone steer me in the right direction?

I'm looking to buy a complete box. My local Toys R Us and Lego store won't let me buy one (if they even had them in stock), and the local Targets and Walmarts don't carry them either. Any ideas on where I could get a complete box?

You always have Bricklink ;)

It's strange that US distribution has been so poor.

Also, I find it surprising that stores are getting only 1-3 boxes of these figures. The Walmarts I've visited recieved about 10-12 boxes in two separate shipments. I was able to complete my collection without difficulty and pick up 14 cheerleaders and 16 forestmen without any difficulty. Still, I haven't seen a new shipment in over a week so I suspect that Walmart's supply has all but dried up. I'm going to be paying close attention this summer because I don't want to miss out on series 2.

And of course, each store owner is a lot happier when someone comes in and decides to buy a full box. It is a definite sale and there is no more risk of people secretly taking 1 or 2 bags from the box without paying for them.

I don't know about that. They get their money, but then they get a reputation for being out of stock (which is why limits exist in the first place, particularly in Inconspicuous' case I'd suspect). It's often better for the shop if a lot of people can have some of something than one having all and others having none, even though the till is the same.

I'd say that TLG will definitely up production for Series 2, too. There's no problem with availability here in Ireland (from what I've seen - Galway and Cork) but there definitely seems to be a shortage overall. I wonder which demographic is buying the most. I've bought about two dozen myself.

I'd say that TLG will definitely up production for Series 2, too. There's no problem with availability here in Ireland (from what I've seen - Galway and Cork) but there definitely seems to be a shortage overall. I wonder which demographic is buying the most. I've bought about two dozen myself.

I'm worried that they're going to jack the price again for Series 2. I mean, as great as they are, I'm not interested in paying $4 a figure without even a single brick or something to go along with it. I hope TRU keeps their price at $2.49 US... Hopefully the second series will run much smoother and error-free. It's like when Apple rolls out a new product-- the second release of the iPhone was much more stable and user friendly than the first. We can all hope Lego learns from what went wrong with the first batch.

I'd say that TLG will definitely up production for Series 2, too.

Not knowing when tool changeover is for Series 3 and speculation that there will be no secondary barcodes for this makes me think that they have not quite gotten to bag production and hence packaging of Series 3. However, given lead times I would hazard a guess that they are currently producing the elements for Series 3 right now.

Given that Series 2 is to be out in the next month or so I would also think that they have already completed producing the elements for Series 2 and are currently packaging right now, if not done already and they are sitting in a warehouse ready for shipment or some cargo ship making there way from China.

do we have a definite release date for series 2?

The official release date is August. But they might start appearing sometime in the middle of July.

LegoGalactus

You always have Bricklink ;)

At overinflated prices & that's BEFORE the 1st series gets pulled! Once they're all gone from the stores the prices will rise even higher on BL

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned it in another thread or not, but it appears the limit of five figures per order at Shop at Home in the US has been dropped; there is now no limit.* Presumably if one buys 60 or more, they'll send a whole display box.

* Actually, on the page for your cart, the dropdown that lets you select the quantity of a specific item goes only up to 99, but you can still click on "add to cart" on the item page to put 100 or more of an item in your cart. It then shows as "0" in the dropdown, but the counter for total items in your cart and the price by the minifigures indicate you do actually have 100 or more in your cart.

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned it in another thread or not, but it appears the limit of five figures per order at Shop at Home in the US has been dropped; there is now no limit.* Presumably if one buys 60 or more, they'll send a whole display box.

* Actually, on the page for your cart, the dropdown that lets you select the quantity of a specific item goes only up to 99, but you can still click on "add to cart" on the item page to put 100 or more of an item in your cart. It then shows as "0" in the dropdown, but the counter for total items in your cart and the price by the minifigures indicate you do actually have 100 or more in your cart.

you would think but no guarantee of getting a box, but then again they could be trying to clear out their inventory fast to make room for series 2.

Edited by Asterios

you would think but no guarantee of getting a box, but then again they could be trying to clear out their inventory fast to make room for series 2.

A European member here has reported getting a box by ordering 60. Why would they first clear their currently open box and then open a new one when you order 60 instead of just sending a closed box? Unless of course they don't work from the boxes...

A European member here has reported getting a box by ordering 60. Why would they first clear their currently open box and then open a new one when you order 60 instead of just sending a closed box? Unless of course they don't work from the boxes...

thats the problem it all depends on how they package them, i've seen distribution centers which had things like this and they would dump all the small packs in a hopper and pack from that so as to preserve time of opening boxs.

Also if you order 60 common sense would say they send a box, but when has NA LEGO ever used common sense when shipping items, I've gotten boxes big enough for the UCS MF just to ship a small set.

Well I suppose we'll find out! I ordered 60 and I'll let you know in what fashion they arrive (if it's still relevant). Thanks for the heads-up, by the way!

Edited by Carbohydrates

Well I suppose we'll find out! I ordered 60 and I'll let you know in what fashion they arrive (if it's still relevant).

If you do get an unopened display box, would you mind also listing how many of each figure it contains? There's a slew of box breakdown listings around here (most of which appear to confirm a standard assortment) for European boxes, but I don't remember seeing any US ones, and I'm curious.

Thanks for the heads-up, by the way!

My pleasure!

:classic:

If you do get an unopened display box, would you mind also listing how many of each figure it contains? There's a slew of box breakdown listings around here (most of which appear to confirm a standard assortment) for European boxes, but I don't remember seeing any US ones, and I'm curious.

My pleasure!

:classic:

we'd need at least a minimum of 10 boxs purchased at differant times to get an accurate breakdown of the minifigs.

on the other hand who knows maybe LEGO is about to flood the market with series one figs which would be nice since it will put those scalpers in their place who scooped up all the figs only to resell them.

I don't know about that. They get their money, but then they get a reputation for being out of stock (which is why limits exist in the first place, particularly in Inconspicuous' case I'd suspect). It's often better for the shop if a lot of people can have some of something than one having all and others having none, even though the till is the same.

I don't think any store is worried about their reputation when it comes to the sale of a relatively obscure item that is being produced in limited quantities. If collectors and scalpers hoard the product why would a retailer care? I mean, don't Toys R Us and Walmart employees often raid shipments for rare chase figures to sell on ebay? At the end of the day if a retailer is paid that's all that matters.

These figures are low supply and high demand. A retailer doesn't really need to worry here. I don't actually expect production to increase. If these things become too commonplace fans may lose interest. For collector types, rarity and bragging rights are what drive sales. Easy to find items just don't cut it. If anything, I expect that LEGO will start making some of the rarer figures even harder to get. If there were 3 cheerleaders in series 1, I wouldn't be surprised if that in future series there are figures that are 1 in 60.

It's strange that US distribution has been so poor.

Also, I find it surprising that stores are getting only 1-3 boxes of these figures. The Walmarts I've visited recieved about 10-12 boxes in two separate shipments.

Yes, my Lego store only got one and I never got any. :cry_sad: I'm glad the limit's gone, now I have a chance of getting some. :thumbup:

I am scared as my store receives the year's new LEGO only in October or November. With all the scarcity they may not even receive series 1 :( Need to think of a backup plan.

the problem some people have yet to realize is with the limit removed from LEGO online, how many resellers do you think are buying up their product? and how long before their sold out?

oops my bad it seems they are already sold out now in the US and Canada.

Edited by Asterios

oops my bad it seems they are already sold out now in the US and Canada.

I'm surprised they even lasted the 4 hours or so with no limits.

Yes, my Lego store only got one and I never got any. :cry_sad: I'm glad the limit's gone, now I have a chance of getting some. :thumbup:

WHAT, THE LIMIT IS GONE!!!!??????!!!