Sign in to follow this  
Ja7on

Raid VPR (Set 5981) Review

I picked up set 5981, Raid VPR along with the Smash'n'Grab set (reviewed here) for $10 US.

This set yields a cool little fighter ship and the minifigs are quite nice. The parts list (see below) is decent, but not as compelling as Smash'n'Grab, although Rench is a good partner for any Kranx-types you have hanging around.

Let the pictures begin!

The front of the box has a very nice action shot. Rench certainly seems ready to resist arrest!

4118943200_3032702e00.jpg

The rear shows the obligatory flick-fire missile shot ... zzzz ....

4118943034_1a34d641dc.jpg

If you don't like 'Police' all over your ship, the stickers are not very interesting other than the control panel sticker.

4118176521_5081422de1.jpg

And so we get to the instructions ...

4118943498_a9801239be.jpg

This page is handy in case you forget how to assemble minifigs! You can also see how the blacktron-like chest doesn't quite mesh with the skull-type belt buckle on the pants.

4118943654_b48a33c205.jpg

The parts list ... I am thinking I'd like 2 or 3 Raid VPRs to combine into one larger fighter.

4118174657_178c3549da.jpg

The page after the parts list is an ad for Smash'n'Grab ... no other sets are shown, just like the Smash'n'Grab instructions.

4118943980_0d65fe9a78.jpg

Some thin plastic is all that separates us from ...

4118174187_56d3181870.jpg

... a green Kranx named Rench! Even if the chest and legs don't match perfectly, they still look pretty good together. Does the B on the chest stand for 'Black Hole Gang' or 'Blacktron' ...

4118944172_f1de23eb1b.jpg

There is a bit of printing on Rench's back, too. Sweet!

4118175205_5ed681656c.jpg

And Mr. Space Policeman, (These are the same shots from Smash'n'Grab review as it is the same minifig)

4114321282_93aa3e53e0.jpg

4114321684_009c9c0808.jpg

Space Police, Rear

4114322026_5f96d88d84.jpg

Here is one in-progress shot to see how the side wings attach. The construction is quite simple, so I will get right to the good part ...

4118944486_f63258c10f.jpg

... a completed Raid VPR! It is a pretty darn nice-looking little fighter, well worth the $10 US to me.

4118175555_b32882932a.jpg

4118945060_bdc79118b8.jpg

4118176049_b7b5644a92.jpg

4118945380_7525287c5a.jpg

4118176701_ebcab3bf39.jpg

4118946060_83f1abb109.jpg

4118946234_d3da8e4f19.jpg

4118946398_10e35edccc.jpg

Leftover Parts ... no trans-red cheese, but otherwise as expected. The spare trans-red visor makes up for it, I'd say!

4118945556_f1632163e9.jpg

Overall I am quite happy with the set ... we get an inexpensive way to snag some minifigs and some handy (although hardly new) spaceship parts. Most parts are black and white, which I find useful for a wide variety of spacecraft crafting. I'd love a different gun for Kranx, but that is what the Star Wars sets are for, right? :vader:

Edited by Ja7on

If you like the set so much, why do you tag it with a :sick: emoticon?

Anyway, thanks for reviewing this set for us too. :thumbup: It really sucks that we get the exact same SP officer as in the other set of this wave, but I'm really digging the Rench and the design of the ship, so I'll be getting this. :classic:

If you like the set so much, why do you tag it with a :sick: emoticon?

Anyway, thanks for reviewing this set for us too. :thumbup: It really sucks that we get the exact same SP officer as in the other set of this wave, but I'm really digging the Rench and the design of the ship, so I'll be getting this. :classic:

Oh, I see that emoticon as a green alien, not as a frustrated face ... I didn't notice that until you pointed it out! I was using it as an 'alien face' since the Space Police sets come with alien minifigs. :cry_sad:

Thanks for the review Ja7on!

I really like this set due to the great minifigs and ship itself. I think the price is really great too. I thought that I'd skip Spaced Police to keep funds for other themes, but I might need to crack open the vault a bit for an exception.

Great set, great review. Is there really more to say?

Thanks for the review.

The new Kranxx species guy is awesome, first of all. I'm glad LEGO is at least expanded the alien species with unknown names with more characters, but Summer 2010, lets gets some more variety, such as new alien species!

This set looks superb to me and I'll have to try and pick up a few Raid VPRs to make a fleet of Space Police fighters to defend Galaxy City!

Great Review Ja7on :thumbup:

Looks like this new wave of Space Police sets are Really Cool! :wub:

This looks like a really nice cheap set! Love Rench. :wub:

The Police vehical is quite Nice!

Great job!

CommanderFox

Cool review Ja7on!

This is an 'okay' set for me. I personally dislike the ship - it just seems a bit feeble and scrappy compared to the previous line-up. However, that awesome helmet more than makes up for it, and I'll definately have to find a Bricklink seller before Xmas if I want to kit out my previous wave of Space Police men and women for when they arrive! :grin:

I'm also a little peeved at Rench. Sure, he's pretty cool, what with the slimy-head and all, but I just wish Lego could maybe come up with new heads? I mean, isn't P-Squiddy supposedly the only one of his kind, yet we see Squidtron or whoever in the Smash 'N' Grab set. :sceptic:

Good review, okay set :classic:

~A.S.

I love the green alien head, I'll have to get that and the orange one from bricklink.

I love how they brought the Blacktron B back, whether they maent it or not, it's almost identical.

The ship is a nice enough design, although I don't like the sticker control panel. I'll probably get it just for the minifigs, especially Rench. It's a little pricey at $10 but it does include a number of good parts, and the extra trans-red visor is a nice bonus. Until now, those have been very rare since they only previously appeared in the 1989 SP1 sets.

It's a nice little set, thanks for the review.

I still think the front wing pieces would be good for an Ep3 Jedi starfighter.

Slick. The one SP3 set I'm actually seriously looking forward to getting.

Even if the baddie is an alien, this redeems the value of putting out the SP3 line for me. It doesn't make me want to buy the other sets more (I already have the prisoner transport, as I thought that's a decent vehicle, but I don't want most of the other sets), but it does make me want to see if there's anything next.

It's a little pricey at $10...

It's not a lot of pieces, but it's a nice set, and IMHO, well worth $10. It's about right. PPP isn't really consistent at the low end of the price range. 8402 sports car is the same price. Sure, 8957 mine mech is $2 cheaper, but the next one up, 8958 granite grinder is $10 as well, and quite likely because it's a vehicle. I would find it pricey if it were $12 or $13 instead (as it is for pre-order on Amazon).

Awesome review, although, the set, not so much. It has many flaws, like the guns in between the cockpit look out of place, and the belt on Rench is cut in half. :sceptic:

Looks like a great little set. I like the figures as well as the sleek look of the spaceship. Thanks for taking the time to review this set.

Cheers :classic:

Great review ! :thumbup:

I wasn't going to buy any SP3 next year, but this one is on my shopping list now. :thumbup:

I would MOD this into a Buck Rogers Starfighter of sorts. :thumbup:

Could this be a sign foor the return of blacktron? Hmmm...

I need to get multiples of this set. Or just use BL :tongue:

Anyways nice review.

I'm glad you posted this Ja7on because I said I was going to and then didn't get a chance.

I'm also glad I'm not the only one who wasn't impressed by the stickers. If these stay at this price or maybe get cheaper, I'd like to pick up a few more and see what can be done with them.

Thanks for showing us the back of Rench, I don't Know about any one else but that was a question burning in the back of my head for a long time.

I personaly love seeing another person of the same species as Kranxx

I find it funny that both Kranxx and Rench both have names that involve work (crank) (Wrench)

The SPIII ship is interesting, but at the same time a bit hum drum, as it is just another SP ship, white black trans blue cocpits, and trans green guns, It's in a little more unique than other ones but still...

In this set the minifigures are DEFINATELY the thing to catch your eye, as it has both Rench and an elite Popo with that new marine helmet

:cry_happy:

Thanks for the great review Ja7on! I really like the look of this, great white parts that I need since I used so much for my Iceberg Lounge. More importantly the minifigs look fantastic, I'll be certainly sure to get that sweet Blacktron green Kranxx and that helmet is a must. Thanks again.

Batbrick Away! :devil: