• Below-Average
    • Average
    • Above-Average
    • Outstanding
  2. 2. Which version is better?

• 4490 (the older one)
    • 20010 (this one)

indexed.gif

Welcome to my long-awaited review of 20010. For days, I anxiously watched the mailbox, and this tiny 94 piece set was the only thing that haunted my mind. One cloudy Thursday afternoon, it finally came!

I apologize that some of my pictures aren't the greatest. It's been quite cloudy around, and with daylight savings, by the time I get back home it's dark. I hope you can excuse any shadows that are results of using a lamp.

With no further ado, here's the review!

01stock1.jpg

BASIC INFORMATION:

Set Name: Mini Republic Gunship

Set Number: 20010

Number of Pieces: 94

Minifigs: 0

Price: (Brickmaster promotional in US, now available in UK & Germany) 4.59 GBP, 5.99 EUR, estimated value: 6.00 USD

Theme: Star Wars / Clone Wars / Mini

Year Released: 2009

RESOURCES:

Brickset

Bricklink

Brickshelf

THE REVIEW:

POLYBAG:

Front:

02bag1.jpeg

Like every good review, this one begins with the polybag. The polybag is the same size as all other BrickMaster promotionals- about 8 inches by 9 inches. I don't understand why Lego needed to make it so huge. There is a ridiculous amount of open space inside, and the bag has a tendency to flop around like a dead fish. I found this same problem with 20009 Mini AT-TE. The art is quite flattering, and masks some of the worse aspects of this set. You'll see more about that later. :wink:

Back:

03bag3.jpg

Nothing unusual here, just the basic info and warnings. You can see some pieces peeking out through the clear stripe.

Polybag:: Thoughts: I still find these gigantic polybags a little pointless. Then again, who buys a set for it's box or bag?

Contents:

04cont1.jpg

Whee! Out come the contents! Maybe the reason why the bag was so big- to mask the fact that it's a small set!

INSTRUCTIONS:

Front:

05inst1.jpg

Yet another case of the infamous "Booklet Fold" syndrome. :hmpf_bad: I hate folds in the instructions for any set, but especially when the instructions could easily fit into the gigantic bag non-folded. The art is the same as the front of the polybag, with the blaster fire and background.

Random Page:

06inst2.jpg

A random page that shows build up here. I've seen more impressive instructions booklets; this one is rather plain. No movie clips, no fancy borders, no burnt parchment. But it's simple and gets its job done.

Parts Inventory and Last Step:

07inst3.jpg

And it's done! That was fast. Note the parts inventory is so small it fits on one tiny page!

Back:

08inst4.jpg

Next comes the back of the booklet. Yep, no ads for other sets, just right to the inventory and back.

Instructions:: Thoughts: Very basically designed, but nothing fancy is really needed. I still dislike the fold in the middle.

PIECES:

Pieces (sorted):

09piec1.jpg

All 94 pieces meticulously spread out for your viewing pleasure. It's still looking quite small.

Pieces of interest:

10piec2.jpg

Here are the pieces found interesting. I really like the white clip pieces and wedge-type pieces which both go on the wings. I also like the dark red, but there is actually a very limited amount in this set.

Pieces:: Thoughts: Fine variety but in terms of colors, it could have had more red.

THE BUILD:

Build:

11buil1.jpg12buil2.jpg

13buil3.jpg14buil4.jpg

15buil5.jpg16buil6.jpg

Lovely in-build shots, approximately every 3 steps. It's just a small set, so in-build pictures don't reveal any fancy complex machinery that was concealed inside. Although part of me really wanted opening and closing doors. :wub:

Build:: Thoughts: Done in a fast 19 steps. It felt about right for a set this size.

COMPLETED PRODUCT:

Completed:

19comp1.jpg

Since you already saw the left side in the last shot, here's the right. It's exactly identical to the other, so not much to see here.

Front View:

20comp1.jpg

I guess is the last thing some droids might see. I really like the mini cockpit design, which I think is very realistic and effective.

Back View:

21comp2.jpg

The back is one of the worst parts of the set. The turret is way to low and the doors stick out the back.

Back:

24comp5.jpg

I would rather have had the doors closed. I hate the jutting out the back. If you wanted to swoosh this around, it would be very unrealistic.

Front Detailing:

22comp3.jpg

You can see some lovely little details on the front. The SNOT right below the cockpit may be unrealistic, but it looks cool. (Sorry for the blurry pic)

Side View:

23comp4.jpg

This, on the other hand, is a great part. The interior itself is really smooth and sleek. I think some mini clones would be great here.

Extras:

25xtra1.jpg

A nice little sample platter of extras. Some cheese slopes, studs, and a joystick.

COMPARISON WITH 4490:

Side:

26cmpr1.jpg

Many people may wonder whether this set is better than the old one. Take a look for yourself. The old one is rough and unrefined, but the doors are better. The new one is in general sleeker, despite being smaller.

Front:

27cmpr2.jpg

Here, you get a sense of how much bigger 4490 is. The wings are huge! The wings on the new one stay in place much better.

Verdict: I'd say this new one is better. Each have their good aspects- the new one is sleek and the old one is more accurately sized and shaped. I think which ever is more important to you should determine which is better.

28final1.jpg

Totals:

Design: 8/10 It's very realistic and sleek, but the horrible back doors and turret take away so much. They can be modded, but the doors wouldn't be as stable.

Parts: 7/10 For a red and white ship, it could have used more red. I think it's a great selection of white, but could've used more of other colors.

Build: 8/10 A nice length for a little set, and no repetition (the wings are mirrored).

Swooshability: 9/10 It's really swooshable for a mini model. If you want to have a terrific crash, it's probably better to use the mini and not the full size.

Playability: 4/10 Erm.. what would you actually do with it? Nothing moves, and swooshing is about it.

Price: 9/10 For 94 pieces, $6 is actually a pretty good deal.

Total: 45/60 Definitely an average set. I honestly thought this would be a terrifically good mini, with high hopes left from the mini AT-TE. I was quite disappointed with this one. Sure it's sleek, but it's small, fairly unrealistic, and just ugly. I really hope future Star Wars mini-models are better. I wouldn't go out of your way to pick this up unless you're a collector.

Thanks for reading, and may the force be with you. :yoda:

-Inconspicuous (Inky)

Thanks for the review Inconsipcuous!

When compared to the old mini Republic gunship, this one wins by a landslide, even though this is much smaller.

I would much rather have some minifigure-scale Brickmaster sets instead of mini sets like the Indiana Jones car (that's the reason why I'm not going to get Brickmaster), but this is just fine. If it was released as an official mini set, I'll probably purchase it, since it's worth $6 and has 94 pieces.

That reminds me, I need to finish my review! Hopefully I'll be able to do so over Thanksgiving break. No more procrastinating! :tongue:

Edited by ILikePi

When compared to the old mini Republic gunship, this one wins by a landslide, even though this is much smaller.

I would much rather have some minifigure-scale Brickmaster sets instead of mini sets like the Indiana Jones car (that's the reason why I'm not going to get Brickmaster), but this is just fine. If it was released as an official mini set, I'll probably purchase it, since it's worth $6 and has 94 pieces.

That reminds me, I need to finish my review! Hopefully I'll be able to do so over Thanksgiving break. No more procrastinating! :tongue:

You're welcome Pi. And it's Inconspicuous not Inconsipcuous. :tongue: (you could take the easy way out and just copy my username)

Are you saying you liked the Indiana Jones one? I definitely did. The January Brickmaster is supposed to be a secret, but I highly suspect it's from Atlantis. Perhaps it would be an actual minifig scale one then? :wink:

Great review Inky! I definitely prefer this one to the previous one simply because it just seems to fit into the mini sets better than the previous one because it doesn't have as much detail. I like the little lime green strip by the front turrets cause it contrasts the red really well.

Great Review Inconspicuous! :thumbup:

I wish I could get these sweet BM sets :wub:

The pics are Great and very detailed :thumbup:

Great job!

CommanderFox

Review looks great, this is a fun little set that I wish got delivered to me as well.

Great review, the in-build pictures are nicely done.

I like this set too, too bad it´s an exclusive. Ah well, one day I might try to make one from parts I have on hand, there does`t seem to be anything too special in there.

I'm going to have to disagree. I prefer the old one. Sometimes newer isn't always better. :classic:

Thanks for the review Inconspicuous! The prices some of these brickmaster sets sell for on ebay is outrageous.

I have this set and personally I think it's awesome. Comparing it to the actual thing, which I have as well, it is very accurate, and I love how the guns, just s the one on the ship, can be angled in any way.

I got this set about a week ago and really love it. Very swooshable (as my wife stared at me oddly). Also really sturdy which I like and the cockpits were well conceived. Inky, very good review. The pictures were good so whatever lamp you used worked well.

You're welcome Pi. And it's Inconspicuous not Inconsipcuous. :tongue: (you could take the easy way out and just copy my username)

Are you saying you liked the Indiana Jones one? I definitely did. The January Brickmaster is supposed to be a secret, but I highly suspect it's from Atlantis. Perhaps it would be an actual minifig scale one then? :wink:

Dang it, that's the second time I've misspelled your name! :grin:

Yes, I'm saying that I liked the Indiana Jones one. :wink:

I agree that the January set is from Atlantis. Hopefully it will minifig-scale and will lead to many more minifig-scale sets in the future! :sweet:

Oh and by the way, do you like being called Inconspicuous or Inky more?

Edited by ILikePi

Thanks for a great review Inconspicuous :thumbup:

this review just makes me want to get one of these BM minis, whatever it takes :tongue:

anyways, it's a nice set, and much more sleeker than the old one, the cockpit especially.

i still have no reviews, but i think i'll get at least one done by this year.

Interesting. Actually, I like it- especially the doors. Maybe you don't like it, but that's how the doors work, by sticking out the back, and I think that's one of the things that give it it's iconic look.

Oh and by the way, do you like being called Inconspicuous or Inky more?

I'll take either. Inky is a nickname and is much easier to type (and spell!). I usually only sign reviews with Inconspicuous. Anything else I'll finish with Inky.

Thank you all for the great comments, and thank you Svelte for my first frontpaging! :cry_happy:

EDIT: I've added a new question to the poll: which version is better. I'm very curious as to what the results may be, so poll away!

I'm personally against the release of SW sets via Brickmaster - there are a lot of Lego SW collectors out there, and since Brickmaster membership isn't available to folks in Europe and elsewhere we have to resort to being scalped by US Brickmaster members in order to keep our collections up to date. Anyone fancy a Brickmaster 84 piece mini Venator for 30 bucks, or a mini clone turbo tank for $50 ?! Thought not.

I was therefore delighted when this nice little set went on sale at UK S@H and quickly snapped it up. Definitely sleeker than 4490 in my opinion and easily worth the cost. Nice clear review Inky - thanks.

Dr. D.

I'm personally against the release of SW sets via Brickmaster - there are a lot of Lego SW collectors out there, and since Brickmaster membership isn't available to folks in Europe and elsewhere we have to resort to being scalped by US Brickmaster members in order to keep our collections up to date. Anyone fancy a Brickmaster 84 piece mini Venator for 30 bucks, or a mini clone turbo tank for $50 ?! Thought not.

I was therefore delighted when this nice little set went on sale at UK S@H and quickly snapped it up. Definitely sleeker than 4490 in my opinion and easily worth the cost. Nice clear review Inky - thanks.

Dr. D.

Totally second your post.

I was hooked up with a Brickmaster subscription a while back. I had hopes for that it would come some uniqe minifigs.

But when there was only mini-sets so I decided not to renew it. I also decided not to collect the minis even if I do like them.

Back on topic however, I find your review to be very good. I also voted for that this version is the better one.

As mentioned before it is more sleek in design, and even better details.

Thanks to your (and others) good review, I can totally build this and others with my own bricks and/or just download the instruction.

I'm not a big star wars fan, but I do like the sets of it. I think this set is a very nice one to have in your collection.

Great review Inconspicious! :thumbup:

Looks like there ain't too many uniqe pieces, but the final product looks good. And its nice to see they give the instructions not just a piece of paper like the mini v-19 torrent. Too bad they don't offer brickmaster here in Canada or available for purchase like the uK and europe.

I love the minis in the BM sets. I just hate the bionicles. I have to trade them or sell those. I am on the fence for which is better. I think the first one is more detailed but this new one just seems better proportioned.

I think the new one looks sharper than the old one. Damn those localized releases, it seems this is another mini I'll never get my mitts on.