Sign in to follow this  
Enigma-85

Old sets after the introduction of new sets

gallery_101_23_908.jpg

I'm not long out of the so-called Dark Ages, so I don't know exactly what happens when LEGO releases new sets in the new year. Firstly, I assume they'll release the lauded 2010 lines early in the new year?

Secondly, what happens to the 'current' sets after they're released? Will they continue to be produced until ultimately phased out, or will production simply cease entirely? And, as somebody who's currently sporting a rather limited collection after a couple of months (Republic Gunship, Droid Gunship, Clone Walker Battle Pack and Hailfire Droid...), will this be a good time to bring in reinforcements, what with sales and suchlike, or will prices on remaining stock stay static or, god forbid, even rise?

To put it simply, should I be hurrying up and buying up every set I can find for fear of missing out and being stuck with the inflated prices of eBay (handy for the odd part for sure, but not so good for the bigger, rarer things), or am I best off waiting for a while?

My apologies if this is a daft question, if this is the wrong place to ask, or if the answer is staring me straight in the eyes already.

ON average sets last about 1.5 years to 2 years. Anything over 2 years in my eyes is pretty dang good.

Just becasue the 2010 sets are coming out, doesn't mean all the 2009 sets are going to dissapear. Star Wars seams to be more of a victim to the early dissapearance of sets.

I try to purchaase everything I want from a yearly realease within one year of the set being released, just to be on the safe side.

Prices will stay static, and at the very end of it's life if you're lucky they do go on sale or clearance, not as often from Shop@home

Many sets are produced for more than one year. Sometimes a set can surprise you and blink out in an even shorter time. Most sets seem to be around for about 2 years. A few special sets go longer. I try to prioritize what I want most but you don't have to worry about running out and buying new sets the minute they become available...but you will!

Cheers guys. It's good to know I don't have to rush so much at least, I don't think my wallet could take it. I'll have to hit Brickipedia and figure out the release dates on the sets I want to get then, to see how long I've got...

The replies are pretty spot on. I'd focus on the sets released in 2008 first because those will likely stop being produced before most of the 2009 sets. The 2010 sets will be around for quite awhile so don't even worry about those until you get all the 2008 and 2009 sets that you want.

The replies are pretty spot on. I'd focus on the sets released in 2008 first because those will likely stop being produced before most of the 2009 sets. The 2010 sets will be around for quite awhile so don't even worry about those until you get all the 2008 and 2009 sets that you want.

Bingo, and if there is any question as to what you should buy next. www.brickset.com has the release year for almost every set, all of the new ones for sure.

Yeah I would say to get the older sets now while you still can. But also dont be afraid to get newer sets if you can get a great deal for them.

I remember I was able to get the 2007 y-wing last year, I was stoked! Thanks you lego education store in Brisbane, Australia :cry_happy: (Its one of my favourite sets)