1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 1 - Poor
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding!

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

4115042032_6f69b15f39_o.jpg

Diving into the depth of Atlantis, I present to you this exclusive two-part Eurobricks set review of 8060 Typhoon Turbo Sub.

PART 1

4114150340_94b695bf37_o.jpg

Theme: Atlantis

Year Released: 2009/2010

Pieces: 197

Minifigs: 2 (includes one human and one shark man)

Price: $24.99 (USD) purchased from Toys R Us

Pictured on the back of the box is various images of the little red sub:

4114150380_9ee20d399d_o.jpg

Unlocking the mysteries of Atlantis involves collecting the five amulets (one contained in each set). This set includes the yellow amulet with image of the turtle:

4113381503_6faca295fa_o.jpg

Images included within the instructions include a number of nice Atlantis artwork:

4113381533_f276807d6d_o.jpg

4113381571_0327518fb6_o.jpg

4113381599_a41a100c19_o.jpg

New LEGO made for kids would not be complete without the decals:

4114150544_dbf93fbec2_o.jpg

The set includes two minifigs, one human and one shark man:

4114150592_3f536a83f2_o.jpg

Both figs are nicely designed with printed designs:

4114150622_efb4f4e136_o.jpg

The wonderful new trident piece with lime green fins for the diver and turtle amulet:

4114150644_67d7b7eea0_o.jpg

Now lets dive into the submarine, shall we?

4114150664_d0626ace17_o.jpg

The front end has two large propellers:

4113381793_71cc3ae78c_o.jpg

A side view:

4114150738_b89c6b8402_o.jpg

A close-up of the front end:

4114150710_d66b595157_o.jpg

From a different angle:

4114150996_2e82ec6cdc_o.jpg

Cockpit cover. The yellow looks good for this set:

4114150780_bb0e0ca772_o.jpg

Opening the hatch:

4114150896_64426c9d09_o.jpg

The tail which has a rotatable propeller:

4113381943_1c8bd7207a_o.jpg

The middle section has an assembly which slides causing the large front propellers to turn:

4114150868_67505f4c26_o.jpg

4114150838_02009b32f7_o.jpg

Opposite view:

4114150956_2e95050e1e_o.jpg

Bottom view:

4114151018_abdba0b382_o.jpg

A firing gun is also attached to the left propeller assembly. Turning them reveals the gun:

4113382181_05b6fa6dd6_o.jpg

This concludes part one of this two-part image review.

PART 2

So what do you think of this set? Let me share my thoughts.

Just the thought of an underwater theme is exciting, especially Atlantis. Many AFOL have been asking for an Atlantis theme for some time. Did we get what we want? Not exactly. The Atlantis theme is definately a "kids theme" driven by vehicles, not very dissimilar to AquaRaiders. Unfortunately, the theme and set collection is definately NOT Divers that can be easily integrated with CITY; rather it is futuristic with submarines like this one, that resembles a Star Wars Pod Racer.

This is my first Atlantis set purchased for $25 (USD). I'd say it's certainly better than my initial experience with Space Police, and a whole lot more enjoyable. I actually found the build of 8060 more challenging, especially for younger children, and was pleasantly surprised when I accidently slid the inner workings that caused the large propellers toward the front of the sub to turn. New elements like the yellow cockpit hatch certainly make the theme more exciting, and this particular sub almost has a Nautilus like tail-end making me like it even more. I don't particularly like the need for stickers to enhance the design/look, but I'm sure that applying them would certainly add some color and detail to the otherwise all red sub. I'm loving the new divers suit and even shark man is fun. I'm sure kids will particularly like this minifig. The amulet is particularly interesting and I like the thought of collecting them when buying each of the Atlantis sets.

Overall, I'd probably buy this set again, and am looking forward to purchasing a few more of the Atlantis sets.

Edited by WhiteFang
Indexed

Tanks for the review TheBrickster, wonderful photography as always! I must say though that these pictures have really pointed out the flaws in this set for me. For one there is simply too much technic for me taste, and the holes show glaringly compared to Aquaraiders, which I was admittingly a fan of. Also, the lack of a good cockpit and oddball details really throw me off. I'll be skipping this set, though Sharkman I'll definitely get in a cheaper set.

Batbrick Away! :devil:

Seems that all the 2010 sets are coming out of the woodwork except the SW sets.

Good looking review, the pics are a bit small though. I'm really liking these helmets more and more.

I'm curious where they are going with this 5 amulet thing. Are there only going to be 5 sets?

The submarine looks so much better than the shark that has already been reviewed, this one looks good and like a really cool submarine.

Interesting set, I can see these being modified into space fighters like a space-age A10 warthog. But back on target now, I like how the weapons can be deployed and is part of overall control of this sub. Also I really like the cockpit cover and it's hinged, note to Lego Star Wars designers, use this part !

I don't know if I'll be buying this or not, got a few City and Star Wars to get first.

I rated it "below average".

I don't like the design at all, and I'm happy Shark-man, trident and those round-magic-things are available in cheaper sets.

Thank you TheBrickster for a nice review :classic:

Not sure what I think about the set, the minifigs are very nice, and the new canopy piece is great, sure hope that one shows up in a more useful colour, like trans-black. But the set itself seems like something I'll probably skip. Based on the US price it will probably be at least 199 NOK here, or more, which is way too much for this.

Thanks for an excellent review. This is a good looking set and I plan to get it. I wasn't a big fan of the Aquaraider series but this Atlantis one is capturing my imagination much better.

Nice review, although the pics could be bigger. :thumbup: As for the set, I think Lego kinda cheated with the camera angle of the box pic because the real jets are far apart from the main body, whereas on the box they look really close to it. :sceptic: And they could've put missiles on both engines instead of just the right one, to make it more symmetrical.

Edited by prateek

Great review. Although this has the most technic of all the new Atlantis sets, I'll still buy the set, along with the rest of the line.

Wonderful review; I especially liked the images with the Atlantis motif. Unfortunately, a wonderful review does not equal a wonderful set. I rated the Turbo Sub as below average. Too much technic and too exposed. It doesn't appear to be very sturdy either.

Thanks for the review! The trans-light green used in this theme is a fail in my opinion. I despise that color.

Ooh.

I like the set, but it still seems a little too technic-y for my tastes. However, the others all seem to be a little bit more filled out.

Really cool review! I'm not sure about the design of the sub, it's a little strange. I love the new treasure pieces and i like the shark man. The new diver/diver gear is also :thumbup: .

Great Review! :thumbup: This is the Atlantis set I am most anticipating, and you certainly assured me that this is a must buy.

But don't you mean "trains neon green cockpit"? :sceptic: Sorry for being nit-picky, but for me, there's a huge difference between trans yellow :sick: and trans lime. :wub:

Edited by Oky Wan Kenobi

I feel this set is rather average. There is too much red imo and the fluro green doesnt really help the colour scheme. The propellers are a nice touch but what I like about this set is the shark man. His head looks great and the decal on it makes it even better.

Great review :thumbup:

Great review TheBrickster! Definitely helped me make a better opinion on this set.

It has a good overall look, but it seems too flimsy. And like others have said, it shows a lot of technic. But, it does have a plethera of good peices for sci-fi builders.

Im torn on whether to get this or not.

Thanks for the review, TheBrickster!

I have to say, this line does little for me. I'm not even that keen on the sharkdude, much preferring the more classically Lego-looking Harry Potter version than this cartoony fellow.

I am much more impressed with my MISB arrival this week of a certain aquatically inclined 6441, which I've been craving ever since you posted your wonderful review! :laugh: Sure, it was a little pricey, but one 6441 pretty much equals the whole of the Atlantis line for me :wink:

The different shades of red don't look promising from a quality POV.

I'll keep the details to myself but I really like this... I can definitely see it getting modded as a post apocalyptic vehicle... either flying or as a ground one. There are some really creative things on it, like the headlights for example. I really like that set up.

Thanks for the great review!

I'm liking this theme more and more everytime I look at them. After this review I shall consider buying it :wink:

I still think there should've been more scenery though in this theme :sceptic:

I just picked up this set on my way home today. I wasn't convinced of the color scheme until I saw it in person. This is a really great set, and it has got me excited about the whole line. It feels like the true return to Aquazone (the 2007 Aquaraiders felt more like Divers 2.0 than Aquazone to me - still great though :classic: ). I couldn't figure out how the proppelor flipping mechanism worked until I came here and looked at your review and then saw my mistake. Now that I figure it out, I agree, it's very satisfying. I kept flipping back and forth. This is the first set in quite a while that I really want to play with the way I did when I was a kid. Also the shark-man is awesome. I want a whole army of them. :grin:

Thanks for the review!