Sign in to follow this  
marshal_banana

The notorious beachhouse

This is defenitely a good one, if not one of the best. It's incredebly detailed!

The small buildings are simply top notch, they are cute and realistic too.

I love the bell in the small chapel, first time I see a goblet as a bell!

You've got a perfect entry there! :thumbup:

Superb work, its incredibly detailed :pir-oh:

That organ is nice enough to steal :pir-tongue:

This one of the best entries yet, you might get my vote :classic:

Edited by Ratshot

If I were there, I guess I would be Jack, looking for rum :pir_laugh2: Although I'd probably also be more than ready to scrub the deck up on the roof...

Welcome to EB, marshal_banana, and thank you for this wonderful entry. Another one which I can easily call an instant favourite of mine. All the details are so well-thought out, it's amazing. And I'm not even talking about the construction, which is quite great looking itself - what I really enjoy here are the small touches such as that soldier having his beer spilled by the monkey, or the hens laying eggs, or the rather improbable duo playing the organ... I could go on for hounrs, but I think you got my drift -- this MOC is perfect mate, don't change one single thing about it!

The best part is that somehow you've managed to include tons of details and mini-stories, and yet this one doesn't look too gaudy or too full. It's simply brilliant. I was looking forward to seeing such MOCs in this year's contest, but I never thought they'd be so many and so awesome!

A quick suggestion: why don't you add the backstories you've featured on flickr here, as captions below the pics? I think that would be a nice touch ;)

Keep on building marshal! Now that we know how you prepare your bananas, we'd like to see more :pir-tongue:

Not bad. Not bad at all :pir-cry_happy:

Rather small but with a lot of great details. Especially the piano.

Good luck in the contest.

Really great work here, theres so much going on and lots of great detail. Its just so eye catching and so full of colour which really brings it to life. Im liking this one :pir-classic:

I can sum this up in one sentence.

Where do I vote for you!

The detail is great, there is so much going on, it really looks like a party, and very clever on the busty woman in the tub.

The expressions are perfect, and the 360 deegree of action is great, no matter how you look at it, you see something going on.

:jollyroger::jollyroger:

OH! There is so much going on in this MOC that I’m just going to give comments and critics per photo.

Photo 1:

+ I love how crowded this MOC is. There is so much going on! I love the cups for a balcony, the group of parrots, the steering wheel and the cup as a bell. Great!

- I’m not to fond of the white slopes in the water, the rest of the water looks lovely especially with the 1x1 trans clear tiles on it. One other thing I personally don’t like is the claw trees.

Photo 2:

+ The small roof on top of the chimney is pure win.

- The pirate chick in the bathtub sure as hell is ugly! Why didn’t you use a regular minifig torso and legs? That would look so much better. This looks way too bulky!

Photo 3:

+ I like the fact that you can see the interior of the house. That’s brilliantly done.

- I don’t like the chickens on the bottom floor. I like the design of LEGO from the Castle Market better. As seen here in this pic by J i m m e h:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wacklego713/3...pool-976182@N24

Photo 4:

Don’t change a thing. I love the two enemies enjoying a passion together!

Photo 5:

+ I love the begging monkey and the big barrel downstairs. The touch of islanders looks great and so does the curved wall.

- Lose the undead pirate.

That’s all!

Badboy

* snip

Photo 5:

- Lose the undead pirate.

Whoa! Talk about being disrespectful! That's death himself man -- and he's enjoying a drumstick!!! Would you rather have him enjoying one of those guys instead? :pir-tongue:

Edited by TheOtters

Whoa! Talk about being disrespectful! That's death himself man -- and he's enjoying a drumstick!!! Would you rather have him enjoying one of those guys instead? :pir-tongue:

Maybe... I just never liked the undead minifigs!

Notorious indeed!

I think the greatest accomplishment of this MOC is that it really is a group of small MOCs that have been successfully put together. This is often much harder than it seems. I really enjoy how you have "clustered" concepts; such as the parrots in one part, the balcony made out of goblets, and the exposed brick look of the chimney. I like that the "ole timer" is a blue coat, kinda pays tribute to the first style of imperials. Perhaps he is a wondering veteran?

I especially enjoy the organ room with all the detail in there. It seems in many MOCs these days the governor and our beloved pirate captain have become good friends. The vines on the buildings look colorful and not overdone. I like the way you constructed the dock and the water to show scale and action. Its easy to miss the bell, but again using a goblet to make a bell is something I never would have thought of. I also like how you used clear tile to show some liquid under the keg tap, very original idea.

My only concern would be that there are many nice aspects of this MOC that are only viewable from a very small and definite angle. Do you think there is any way that you could opne it up slightly so that more of your quality detail is viewable from more than one side? I would only do this if it keeps the spirit of the MOC and also does not change or destroy the current look.

Great Job.

-martinsuper

Very good and strong entry! I will leave the creative critic to the others this year since I am not eligible for prizes anyway.

Much luck and fun with the contest :thumbup: !

Thanks for your comments and compliments! You like it, that makes me happy! There are fantastic entries in this competition, it's really nice to be a part of it. :pir-cry_happy:

The beachhouse: It's build in 3 sections for an easy access to the rooms and also a better view to the interior. You can put the upper floor and the roof away. I was limited by parts, so it was hard to implement all my ideas. But I' ve captured the most important details and even more. There are a few parts missing on the pictures such as the fireplace...

The first version was without the pier and the small chapel...it was more like a tower on the cliffs. But I've changed my mind, because the small chapel is necessary for a blessed companionship, even for pirates.

To use a goblet as bell was a smart idea of my charming girlfriend. :pir_laugh2:

Hey, you recognize the retired colonel with the old-fashioned blue uniform. Long ago he was a highly esteemed war hero. Now he is the chief curator and administrator of the rum barrels, not a less important part!

Thanks again for all that good feedback! Cheers! :pir-blush:

Hey, you recognize the retired colonel with the old-fashioned blue uniform. Long ago he was a highly esteemed war hero. Now he is the chief curator and administrator of the rum barrels, not a less important part!

Little stories such as this one are what makes a great MOC actually come to life. Little stories... and rum :pir-tongue:

Yeah! Rum :pir_laugh2:

The pirate chick in the bathtub sure as hell is ugly

I' ve new pictures, and minor changes...chack that out: http://www.flickr.com/photos/marshal-banan...57622713143978/

First seen the fireplace and a pirate grilling a marshmallows...

What you think about the logo on the exterior view of the beachhouse?

Cheers! marshal_banana

What you think about the logo on the exterior view of the beachhouse?

Bananawesome! :pir_laugh2: Is that a banana leaf, by the way?

This reminds me - I was planning on stamping all of our MOCs with a logo as well... and I forgot... need to take care of that sometime soon.

Nice updates by the way -- good to see that the bathing lady is still there. :pir-blush: Loving the marshmallow guy, but he seems a bit lonely - marshmallows are famously delicious when shared in good company with proper stories :) Is he sharing his marshmallows with that suit of armor over there? Or are the captains joining him once they finish their concert :pir_laugh2: