Sign in to follow this  
Bricks

Is There an Upcoming Pirate Building Contest?

I know that we have a special ''Event''-forum, but I think for this pirate contest is ''Classic-Pirates'' a better place to share :pir-cry_happy:

So it will be from 1-3 May in ''Northbrook Court''.

3426067632_71b40dc0ef_kv8e.jpg

I hope we'll get more informations soon!

'Bricks'

Edited by Phred

Looks interesting. unfortunatley I can't go because it's in the US (?). Only a certificate for taking part! I think you should get a free pirate minifig.

Sadly, its too far from me :pir_bawling:

But the building events are fun and I've known Dan (the Master Model Builder) for years. He's a great guy! :pir-laugh:

Hope whoever gets to go has fun. :thumbup:

double post due to lag :/ sorry if an admin want to delete this, he can!

Edited by Guss

maybe if I start running now , I'll be there in time, but I'll be wet, I must swim across the ocean! Anyway If you go there, just brign us some photos^^

Over the weekend the Lego Store at Hillsdale Mall in San Mateo California had a building event. Lego brought in master builders and tons of parts to construct an 8 foot tall Brickbeard. Kids built large brick sections out regular bricks and the master builder used them to build the sculpture. It was very impressive to see the hundreds of kids hard at work.

I brought my seven year old and five year old daughters to the event to take part. My seven year old won a lego tee shirt for being the only kid who could answer this question...What was the first year that Lego pirates set sail... I might have helped her out a little :pir_laugh2: but it was extremely funny to see a little girl wade through a crowd of screaming ten year old boys who couldn't get the right answer to deliver the correct one...the master builder looked a little stunned :wink:

Unfortunately I forgot my camera :pir_bawling:

Like father, like son (and daughter! :pir_laugh2: )

It's nice to see an AFOL getting his KFOL's involved with building events like this. If only there were more stores in Massachusettes...

I hear mention of building contests through other groups, websites, etc...

Is there any way that when people find out about these that they spread the word through the forum? I know the forum would like to have more, but our "core group" would probably be run ragged and poor having a contest all the time.

-Super

I know of another board that occasionally has pirate contests. Is it ok on EB to post a link to another Lego Pirate Site?

I know of another board that occasionally has pirate contests. Is it ok on EB to post a link to another Lego Pirate Site?

Sure thing. I guess you're talking about Forbidden Cove, which has run the Castaway Contest and Whale of a Tale Contest since it launched. However, activity has been very low there for quite some time...

Dan Siskind (Brickmania) also ran the Custom Brick Community Building Contest, which had a Pirate/Colonial category, along with many others. He says he'll do it again next year, with more prizes and categories.

Right,

My point is that I want to be able to hear about these contests while they are happening, not afterwards! I love our forum, and its tons of fun, but not forum can run building contests all the time. Thats why it would be nice to advertise the other contests here as well, so those of us who find "bored times" can do some building!

-Super

There are no cross-site-wars going on that I know of, so yes it's OK. To me we're all one big happy LEGO community. However, as always, it's about balance. If a regular member posts info about a contest on another site that's cool, if someone joins and just post links to a site that's not...

The Brothers-Brick blog (brothers-brick.com) usually does a good job of posting new contests when they show up on a website. :pir-classic:

The Brothers-Brick blog (brothers-brick.com) usually does a good job of posting new contests when they show up on a website. :pir-classic:

Indeed they do; it's where I learn about many of the Flickr based ones from.

Sure thing. I guess you're talking about Forbidden Cove, which has run the Castaway Contest and Whale of a Tale Contest since it launched. However, activity has been very low there for quite some time..

Yes, I was referring to forbidden cove. I figured I had better ask before posting a link to another site.

I do have a suggestion, would there be any interest in running some smaller pirate building contests in between the bigger ones? We could do it for fun with no prizes (just bragging rights). Or we could see if members are willing to donate some stuff for a few prizes...I have a few pirates from the cannon battle set I could donate.

Yes, I was referring to forbidden cove. I figured I had better ask before posting a link to another site.

I do have a suggestion, would there be any interest in running some smaller pirate building contests in between the bigger ones? We could do it for fun with no prizes (just bragging rights). Or we could see if members are willing to donate some stuff for a few prizes...I have a few pirates from the cannon battle set I could donate.

That sir is a FANTASTIC idea! Honestly, I would be more excited by winning and a screen capture of my win, than more LEGO. But don't get me wrong, there is never enough LEGO.

All I'm saying is that when a contest comes out, if you hear about it, post it to the forum? I would be against people joining the forum just to post contests, but Im sure by now most of you know me well enough to know thats not what Im looking for.

-Super

I would also support smaller contests for bragging rights or maybe for one of those symbols that goes under your information? (sorry I don't know what there called)

That sir is a FANTASTIC idea! Honestly, I would be more excited by winning and a screen capture of my win, than more LEGO. But don't get me wrong, there is never enough LEGO.

What do the higher ups on this board think about some small contests for fun?

What do the higher ups on this board think about some small contests for fun?

As long as the contest isnt who has the most cannon battles, because I got a lot, but the good Doctor has more.

Martin -

Blackmoor just had a little contest for his Port of Augustine Inhabitants group on MOCPages and the Pirates Matey! Group is having one now. Just for fun but you should join the groups as they have promised to have future contests as well. Not a lot of participation so far as the groups are new but it doesn't make it any less fun.

Martin -

Blackmoor just had a little contest for his Port of Augustine Inhabitants group on MOCPages and the Pirates Matey! Group is having one now. Just for fun but you should join the groups as they have promised to have future contests as well. Not a lot of participation so far as the groups are new but it doesn't make it any less fun.

How/where do you join the groups?

By making an account on MOCpages, then search a group you want to join and then find the "join group" button.

In some groups you have to be approved or invited first, but after that you're there! :pir-blush:

So before I left there was talk of a building contest "just for fun", or not for prizes, etc...

I've been gone for a couple weeks and I can see that the idea did not pan out?

So, whats going to happen here? I joined right as Captain's Cabin was underway, so I have YET to be able to be part of one contest. I'm kinda going crazy over here...

-Super

P.S. I hate red coats, hope they all die, and gladly put this outside of the official place to say such things. Thats called fighting the system, and what REAL pirates do.

:pir_laugh2: