Sign in to follow this  
evildead

Discovering Brazil

th_thindexedgif.gif 95d

Hi guys!

It's been a while since my last pirate creation, but here it is:

Discovering Brazil

This creation recreates the arrival of Pedro Alvares Cabral (a portuguese sailor) in the beautiful Brazil beaches in 22 April, 1500.

Hope you like it!

4069485182_888535edff.jpg

You can see more details here:

Flickr

Very cool! I like the idea of it, along with the natives and the tiny ship in the distance. I just noticed the bananas in the trees, good work!

But there is one little thing I would change, which is the people in the boat, make one of them rowing and the other 2 standing gloriously or something. Again, good work, and an awesome shore!

The forced perspective!!! That's brilliant! :pir-oh: Loving the angle on those rocks too - now that's realistic... Btw, is that the iron cross? Oh, and just a heads up: Pedro Cabral had a long beard ;) Although I can't really see the minifig face you've used from your photos, so that might be irrelevant.

This is a nice MoC, though it needs a few improvements...

1. You need to improve Pedro a bit. Take of the epaulets, and replace the tricorne with a Morion.

2. Replace the head on the female Amerindian. As to my understanding, the natives didn't have lipstick :pir-blush:

3. Maybe add one more native to the scene, or maybe even a canoe, because the beach looks pretty empty.

Other than that, brilliantly done :pir-classic:

One of the best, in my opinion!!!

It is so simple, but yet again, so full of details and techniques!

Water at the beach is phenomenal, trees , too, oh and that tiny ship in the distance...AWESOME.

Again, one of the best!

Very nice, I'm curious why are the pirates faces white?

Besides that, I really like the sandy beach, there is just enough water for the size too.

Good luck with the contest.

Very nice, I'm curious why are the pirates faces white?

Besides that, I really like the sandy beach, there is just enough water for the size too.

Good luck with the contest.

I wasn't aware of this one having been entered as an official entry for the contest? Or does any MOC that is posted within the time range of the contest automatically get entered?

As to the other thing - there are no pirates per se featured here. Pedro Alvares Cabral was an explorer who set out to colonize South America for the needs of Portuguese commerce, while also spreading Christianity in those new lands (hence the original name of Brazil - Terra de Veracruz - as in Land of the True Cross). Since those two processes were carried out simultaneously, the outcome was a land where religion was even more crucial to colonizing than in North or Central America and the effect which Portuguese explorers, settlers and missionaries had on the local population ensured that the vast territory of modern Brazil remained under exclusive Portuguese control for quite a long period.

Back to the skin colour though - I think it looks very adequate here, mostly because of the obvious difference between "White Man" and the natives. For increased accuracy, I personally would have used the heads and bodies of natives from the Indiana Jones series rather than the Islanders - but as I said, the MOC still looks absolutely brilliant.

Very nice!

The banana bunch is very clever and there is a lot of other great work in this MOC. The forced perspective is a nice touch and I like the SNOT rock in the SNOT water :pir-classic:

I'm currently building something with a similar concept for the PTV II contest (large category) and it's interesting to see how other people think and build.

Good job! :thumbup:

This bananas are the best part :pir-cry_happy:

Overall it`s very interesting vignette.

Good work Evil.

You should blog this on Klocki.

Thanks everyone for the comments! :pir-blush:

Pedro Alvares Cabral was an explorer who set out to colonize South America for the needs of Portuguese commerce, while also spreading Christianity in those new lands (hence the original name of Brazil - Terra de Veracruz - as in Land of the True Cross).

Actually Pedro Alvares Cabral was heading for India but something went wrong and he got to South America (Brazil) :pir-laugh:Wiki

I wasn't aware of this one having been entered as an official entry for the contest? Or does any MOC that is posted within the time range of the contest automatically get entered?

This is not an entry for this contest...

You should blog this on Klocki.

Maybe I will Kevin... :pir-wink:

Thanks everyone for the comments! :pir-blush:

Actually Pedro Alvares Cabral was heading for India but something went wrong and he got to South America (Brazil) :pir-laugh:Wiki

This is not an entry for this contest...

Maybe I will Kevin... :pir-wink:

Hey sorry- i didn't understand that hat is not mean to be tricorne but - well i dunno what is called- a hat used by many spanish and Portugues explorers like Columbus- certainly looks a little like tricorne

This is a really nice island MOC Evil! I love the bananas, the perspective, the SNOT base meshes well with the island surface, and the slope on the SNOT rocks is perfect (may try that one myself)

Great stuff!

Absolutely stunning MOC. The way you've added the micro-scale ship (I guess it would have been a Caravel or Galleon) gives the MOC an extra dimension. Also I like how you've managed to make the beach and vegetation so very realistic (love the banana tree!). Next to all that, it must be great to be welcome by an Islander women with big... a big friendly smile :pir_laugh2:. Last but not least I like the historic aspect of this MOC, reviving history with LEGO is a very important aspect of myself being into LEGO. Soon I'll share a new ship which could be the macro-version of the ship in your MOC!

Thanks! :pir-classic:

You are very welcome. :pir-classic:

Soon I'll share a new ship which could be the macro-version of the ship in your MOC!

:pir-wub:

Got a small galleon in the dockyard as well. :pir-grin:

Is everyone secretly building ships around here? :pir-laugh:

Soon I'll share a new ship which could be the macro-version of the ship in your MOC!

That's great! And yes, it's a Caravel... :pir-classic: