Sign in to follow this  
JDHinten

Walking the plank

Even after the pirates had finished pillaging and raiding, and had made off with their loot, they continued to walk the plank, albeit in a more peaceful way.

4072929624_6beb1d4bea_b.jpg

4072168555_ba6194a8a4.jpg

Comments and criticisms are appreciated. Thanks for looking!

Hey there! First off, welcome to Eurobricks and congratulations on entering the contest with this great MOC :) Its fun value is really up there with the best entries so far, and so is the idea. I really like how the ship's hull is built and the work you've done on setting up the gun around one of the pirates' waist. Your dismembering skills (pun intended :P) are really awesome and well used here - both the jumping minifig and the one in the water really come to life thanks to those simple (but none too easy, I must say) touches!

While the idea itself is very cool and refreshing (literally), there are some things that I failed to understand. Perhaps I need to get my thinking cap on, but nevertheless I thought I'd ask. First, what's that minifig (or rather, its legs) doing in the gunport? If that trans-clear piece had been put in front of him, I'd have thought he was taking a piss, but the way he's positioned right now doesn't really make much sense to me!?

And talking about that trans-clear piece... While I totally understand the idea behind it (representing the fall), I can't quite get what's happened there... If the barrel has fallen (or has been kicked) and is spilling over upon impact with the water... why's that? Why has it fallen or who has kicked it and what's the idea in that, or was that just a wanton random act of kicking? :)

One more thing - those teeth down in the water - are they supposed to represent splashes? If so, I suggest combining those with blue / trans-clear cheese slopes to really recreate the effect.

Wow I am honored to be the First one to comment on your creation! I saw it on flickr and hurried to eurobricks to see if you posted it on here already. I really like the idea you used. The poses of the minifigs are really dynamic. The ship looks very awesome. The posement of the jumper and the fisher are very nice. I love the use of the hook, for a fishing hook, the plastic cape on the hip and the use of the blue flower for splashing water. There is however some room for improvement:

-I personally don't like the use of the brown minifigheads for a railing. Using the new telescope piece would look so much better. And I think the railing looks too open.

-The minifig on the left, the one who is jumping in the air holding a flag, would look better with a 1x2 blue plate under the torso. This will be the hips of the minifig.

-The fig in the water with the peddle would look better with a different color 1x2 tile with one stud. Maybe yellow to suggest him not wearing a shirt.

-It would be awesome if there was a mast of some sort behind the minifigs on the ship.

That's all

~Badboy

edit: Seems like I wasn't the first one to post on this MOC, bummer!

Edited by badboytje88

Wow I am honored to be the First one to comment on your creation!

You are the third one :pir-tongue:

Anyway, very nice MOC! Very promising to have this as your first MOC on this site :pir-classic:

The fishing guy is very funny, and all the water effects are great as well. Just like The Otters I don't understand the barrel and the water coming out of it. Is someone jumping into the barrel? Or did the barrel fall into the water? Or maybe something else..

I like the way you built the ship, but I think it should get less wide in the top (try to make a tumblehome).

For the rest it's just very great :pir-sweet:

The white teeth confuse me but otherwise I think this is very nice.

The side of the board is especailly appealing.

You sure are creative with dismantling minifigs to get your desired look. Not somthin I'm a fan of but it does go well with your story.

Good luck with your entry!

-The fig in the water with the peddle would look better with a different color 1x2 tile with one stud. Maybe yellow to suggest him not wearing a shirt.

-It would be awesome if there was a mast of some sort behind the minifigs on the ship.

I have to disagree with those two points. First off, if you've tried holding anything at head level while floating / swimming, you must have noticed how your body is indeed suspended up to your neck... The position and posture of that minifig in the water with the paddle in his hands is absolutely perfect.

As to a mast - perhaps Admiral Croissant is right about the width and a tumblehome might be useful there. However, adding a mast would ruin the dimensions of the ship. A mast is placed in the center, remember - and if the mast were that close to the hull, that would be the weirdest ship possible. Adding something to the deck would be a good idea though - perhaps some barrels and a loose rope would look nicely? Or a bucket for the fishing pirate there?

Just to clear some things up:

First, what's that minifig (or rather, its legs) doing in the gunport?

It's supposed to represent a minifig, sitting, with it's legs hanging out, much like the one on the wall in this picture.

And talking about that trans-clear piece... While I totally understand the idea behind it (representing the fall), I can't quite get what's happened there...

A pirate has just walked the plank, landing inside the barrel (hence the splash).

One more thing - those teeth down in the water - are they supposed to represent splashes?

Those are supposed to be the waves or wake coming from the hat and the minifig.

The minifig on the left, the one who is jumping in the air holding a flag, would look better with a 1x2 blue plate under the torso. This will be the hips of the minifig.

While that's certainly not a bad idea, if I did so the trans-clear support would unfortunately no longer be able to connect to the torso.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Edited by JDHinten

Thanks for the clarifications JD :) I admit, I didn't see the curve of the knees at first. Now it's all clear... Still, I think that minifig would look great if you somehow managed to squeeze in his head as well. Otherwise sitting down there just doesn't make much sense. I'm sorry if I'm being too much of a bother...

What a fantastic MOC!

I really enjoy the techniques you used for showing the minifigs doing a great number of things that minifigs can't really do (jumping, swimming, etc..). I LOVE how you built the side of the ship. Have you ever considered building a whole ship this way? I think it would be fairly amazing! I really like the pistol tucked into the belt and the "action" you have shown with the plank and all of the other minifigs.

I am very impressed with this. I think the most impressive feature is that you showed a lot of action and fun without having to "fill" the entire MOC with stuff. As MOCs go, this one is rather open looking but still gets the job done without looking plane.

GOOD JOB!

-martinsuper

This entry certainly is a very nice one.

Nonetheless I think there is still room for improvement:

The ship's hull desperately needs a tumblehome, it is screaming for it. Since it has no interior and no big need for sturdiness, I would even go so far to design it using tiles on top of either horizontal hinges on a frame or attached to bent 3mm tubes. I think that could look fairly impressive and make the ship look rather cravel-built instead of clinker-built.

That's my suggestion.

Perfectionist

The ship's hull desperately needs a tumblehome, it is screaming for it. Since it has no interior and no big need for sturdiness, I would even go so far to design it using tiles on top of either horizontal hinges on a frame or attached to bent 3mm tubes. I think that could look fairly impressive and make the ship look rather cravel-built instead of clinker-built.

I have to disagree. I think in the spirit of the MOC the ships hull was designed as it should be. If it was a larger ship MOC where the entire ship would show the lack of tumblehome it would be an issue; and then I think I could agree with you totally. However, as it stands, and with the style of LEGO ship sets coming out now, I do not think that tumblehome would add or detract from this MOC. I believe that the overall build, technique, and style far exceed any advantage playing with the hull could add.

-martinsuper

Your MOC is very creative!

Altought I think you should use some of the suggestions of the other guys.

MOC is very clean looking and I like that very much. Ideas are great!