kris kelvin

Eldorado Fortress 2009

When I wanted the Eldorado fortress as a kid (and finally got it), I was always naively hoping there would be a secret entrance into the 'rock' at the left side under the yellow arch.

6276-1.jpg

Yes, that's the one I thought it reminded me of.

And I totally agree, not having an entrance under the rocks was a big let down.

I didn’t know this was an entry for the PTV contest. I commented on it on your flickr account already. The thing which sells this MOC for me is the fact that you updated an official set for this competitions. I especially love the walls with dark red and yellow tiles on them which looks like the old school printed wall pieces. The wooden platform with the crates and chests on it look marvelous. I love the mixture of the brown and redish brown. The pebbles on the steep hill look very nice too. The interior is just plain lovely. I love the yellow cheese slopes above the arch and the dark red roof. Man I could go on complimenting your megablocks up to heaven. The only thing I would like is to see some more color inside the fort and some plants outside of the fort on the rocks.

That’s all

~Badboy

Where do I start?

First off, this is leaps and bounds better than the original fortress in so many ways that I don't think I could ever really count them.

What I like:

1. The absence of a baseplate and the use of "real" brick rock is supurb. It is the basis for your excellant MOC. I can't call this a MOD because you did not really use the original as a base, but rather used the "spirit" of the original fort.

2. The crane! The old crane was so stupid and useless and this crane was the first thing I looked at and the first thing I fell in love with. It is a beautiful and original design from the top, bottom, and the simple but beautiful use of the grate.

3. The exposed brick looks so much more real and full, simply beautiful!

4. The cobblestone path is fantastic and the seam from the angle to the flat part of the walkway is almost invisible.

5. I love the dock, it is leaps and bounds better than the original! Again, looks much more real.

6. The scale. The fort really feels like a real fort and has a much better scale than the original scale for the size of the minifigs.

7. The roof. Great design and fits in perfectly with the rest of the MOC and the feel of the whole build.

8. The walkway for the cannons. I like that this is now two-tiered and a seperate section. It was not very playable in the original set at all.

9. The doors. The doors are also a fantastic design and bring the whole build together.

10. Tower tops. The top of the towers are simply fantastic in how they are simple but do a great job of keeping the scale of the whole fort and still being usable.

What I don't like:

1. No water. The sand looks nice, but I would rather have water like the original.

2. RED COATS?! Eldorado was the one thing the blue coats had going for them, how about keeping it that way?!

3. The minifigs. As much as I don't like red coats, I would have rather seen them than the minifigs you chose. If you are going to put a red coat flag up there then put red coats in the fort and around it. I can see these are custom figs but I am not too keen on them.

4. The dock. I really like the dock as I said prevously, but why have the dock if you have no water?

All in all, a VERY AMAZING build! A true tribute to a truly amazing set that captured many of my childhood hours!

SIMPLY FANTASTIC!

-martinsuper

I have been waiting for the BS gallery to go public to look at some bigger pictures and different angles. Tonight it finally went public and I've spend about 15 minutes looking at all the amazing details you've put into this. No matter which side you look at, it's all well worked out with a lot of eye for detail. I'm very impressed with this! If only I could understand how the door is constructed...

And againa I have to thank you for your nice words. I`m very glad that you like it :pir-cry_happy:

The only thing I would like is to see some more color inside the fort and some plants outside of the fort on the rocks.

I wanted this to be rather solid because my three years is playing with this. So without the elements which can easily fall off.

What I don't like:

1. No water. The sand looks nice, but I would rather have water like the original.

2. RED COATS?! Eldorado was the one thing the blue coats had going for them, how about keeping it that way?!

3. The minifigs. As much as I don't like red coats, I would have rather seen them than the minifigs you chose. If you are going to put a red coat flag up there then put red coats in the fort and around it. I can see these are custom figs but I am not too keen on them.

4. The dock. I really like the dock as I said prevously, but why have the dock if you have no water?

Well...

I wanted to "build" water, but the result was the result was far from expectations.

I didn`t have any red or blue coats. And I decided to use minifigs that I have rather than spending another 40 dollars on BL.

My wallet would not endure this :pir-tongue:

I have been waiting for the BS gallery to go public to look at some bigger pictures and different angles. Tonight it finally went public and I've spend about 15 minutes looking at all the amazing details you've put into this. No matter which side you look at, it's all well worked out with a lot of eye for detail. I'm very impressed with this! If only I could understand how the door is constructed...

Thank you.

Which door ? You mean this driveway with 1x1 round plates?

Yes, that's the one.

In the mean time I've been doing some seaching on BL and I think I've found it.

Yes. Standard lego doors :pir-cry_happy:

And this driveway is combination of plates, plates modified with clip and Hose, Rigid 3mm D.

Similar to this - LINK

This is an amazing creation Kris! Well done on the whole build, its packed with a great underground, and the top looks fantastic too. I am also a fan of this set and had a crack at it a while back but not to this scale or standard! I would say I prefer tan to yellow, but that is only a small nitpick, the level of detailing is supeb. Good luck.

Masterpiece. It is som much better than the original. It looks much more solid, and bigger and detailed. Those rooms in the rock are fantastic!

Canons are positioned very well. I like this fortress!

Excellent entry! It is incredebly detailed, realistic and it still has the classic LEGO feel. :thumbup:

The construction of the slope before the entrance is wonderful. The dark red roof really jumps in the eye. Great use of colour.

Also the interior is really nicely done. To be fair I don't see much to be improved. :pir-grin:

Good luck in the contest! :kahuka:

I didn`t have any red or blue coats. And I decided to use minifigs that I have rather than spending another 40 dollars on BL.

My wallet would not endure this :pir-tongue:

Hey now! Thats when you say to your old buddy Martin Super; "hey Martin, loan me some blue coats and blue marines for this build!". And they would have been in the mail to you in short order! :pir_laugh2:

Like I said before, an amazing build!

-martinsuper

Absolutely mind-blowing!

I think you have captured the essence of the original set perfectly, because the story on the 6276 box went something like "Beneath the Fortress floor was a passage way. It was there that the Governor decided the gold should be kept so that it would be safe from the Pirates....". So the lower level in this MOC actually makes this set authentic in all ways.

Very good job with the brown tiles on the walls; they really bring out that scattered bricks pattern used in the original set.

Loved the ramp and the door, and also the huge crane. Can this crane rotate and bring stuff inside the fort?

Also, fantastic work with keeping everything "smooth" will the tiles. It gives a very classic feel to the whole creation.

I recall the original 6276 had a gun mounted on the main tower, which was quite cool; could you think of something there? Also, the fort needs a nice big imperial flag.

Excellent work, looking forward to more such creations (maybe a remake of the 6273 Rock Island Refuge :pir-classic::pir_laugh2: )....

Wow, this certainly is one of my favourite entries! Great work Kris :thumbup: .

...Runs off to blog this on Classic-Pirates.com...

blogged.png

Wow, this certainly is one of my favourite entries! Great work Kris :thumbup: .

...Runs off to blog this on Classic-Pirates.com...

blogged.png

It`s always nice to be blogged :pir-cry_happy:

Sa-weet! Really like how you sectioned it off and detailed all the sections. The only thing I really don't like is the yellow. I think dark tan would have looked sweet, but I understand what you are doing with the yellow.

Pros:

Sections

Minifg set up

Landscaping

Cons:

Yellow

:thumbup:

This is certainly a treat for the eyes! I really like the wood work on the roof of the cabin, and the stone wall effect. Everything here is brilliantly put together!

WOW!! If this was an official Pirate set, I would for sure have bought it. Then I would have needed the new big Pirate ship as well. Then I might been hooked.

Love your details of the fort. All the dark red details goes so well in the whole of your design. Also like that it is so clean in its construction.

Lots of SNOT details where it should be exept for the road and on the cliffs. I could go on and on about details I guess, the net thing for the crane,

nice mix with colours on the bridge... so many, so many. Just :pir-wub: it!!

Ras, Ras, Ras...did you get lost again? Here's a quick link towards "home".

Or...is there more to it? Are you finally realizing how amazingly great LEGO Pirates and its community are :pir-devil: ???

PS to Kris: It was on the Classic-Pirates.com blog yesterday!

An Excellent entry Kris! :pir-wub:

Congrats on winning second prize aswell! :thumbup:

I really like the castle, the colour scheme looks really nice! I like the little dock thingy.

I like how the top of the castle can come off, the little prison and warehouse underneath looked Great!

Really nice job with this entry!

CommanderFox

It`s old but if someone want to support it on Cuusoo feel free :D

Link

Just cased my vote!

Glad to see this once more. Such a beautiful new version of a classic pirate set :pir-wub: