kris kelvin

Eldorado Fortress 2009

Wow, that is amazing! I love the details. How many pieces did you use?

That is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen! It is so detailed, especially the slope up to the door and the soldiers are expertly done. I enjoy the huge amount of skill and detail, excellent work!

This looks amazing. Replace the yellow by tan to make it fit with the Pirates II color scheme and this could be instantly released by TLG. I really like the addition of the dark-red accents everywhere. The addition of a full cellar is also really nice. Only point of criticism would be that this doesn't directly fit in the contest theme, sure there's no pillaging or other violence going on, but it doesn't breathe peaceful times like some of the other entries.

Wow, congratulations to you! That is a perfect MOC in every way, and as I'm sitting here building my copy of the Green Grocer, I can see many techniques used. This, like you station, is a very detailed MOC, and much more like minifig scale than the original. It's great to see it in a larger scale and feel the grandeur about the classic design. Well done, and good luck in the contest. :thumbup:

Fantastic! A wonderful version of a fantastic set! It has a real barracks feel to it. I especially like the wooden doors, the crane, and the fact you've included a detailed interior! The stairs up to the top area on the main tower are really good, too.

Very nice work, a great entry and good luck! :thumbup:

Thats one of the best remakes ive seen of a set! Very smooth and detailed as always from you. You might want to add a bit of story to it, so it fits in with the theme of the competition. But on the whole, very good work :pir-classic:

Wow, that is amazing! I love the details. How many pieces did you use?

I have no idea :imperialguard_commander1:

3, 4 thousands ?

I don`t know.

That is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen! It is so detailed, especially the slope up to the door and the soldiers are expertly done. I enjoy the huge amount of skill and detail, excellent work!

Thank you good man :pir-classic:

This looks amazing. Replace the yellow by tan to make it fit with the Pirates II color scheme and this could be instantly released by TLG. I really like the addition of the dark-red accents everywhere. The addition of a full cellar is also really nice.

I like classic Pirates and classic mix of colours :pir-classic:

Only point of criticism would be that this doesn't directly fit in the contest theme, sure there's no pillaging or other violence going on, but it doesn't breathe peaceful times like some of the other entries.

The pirates finally got tired of pillaging, plundering and looting, and decided to partake in more civilised hobbies, letting life return to normal for the poor afflicted soldiers, civilians, islanders and sea monsters: a period of peace and prosperity has arrived! From taking tea with the Governor to bombarding their sweethearts with barrages of roses, this next chapter of the Pillage the Village saga explores the unchartered waters of peaceful pirates, impotent imperials, carefree civilians. Do they polish the cannons, or polish off the rum? Race their rowing boats, or repair the harbor? Chill out under a palm tree, or cut it down to build a shack? Explore foreign territories, or the local brothels?

Wow, congratulations to you! That is a perfect MOC in every way, and as I'm sitting here building my copy of the Green Grocer, I can see many techniques used. This, like you station, is a very detailed MOC, and much more like minifig scale than the original. It's great to see it in a larger scale and feel the grandeur about the classic design. Well done, and good luck in the contest. :thumbup:

And thank you too. I`m glad that you like it.

Very impressive Moc! :pir-cry_happy: So great fortress,i like your moc :pir-cry_happy:

My three-years son likes this fortress too :pir-classic:

Fantastic! A wonderful version of a fantastic set! It has a real barracks feel to it. I especially like the wooden doors, the crane, and the fact you've included a detailed interior! The stairs up to the top area on the main tower are really good, too.

Very nice work, a great entry and good luck! :thumbup:

And another thanks for nice words :pir-classic:

*goes to change underpants

I think that is quite good idea.

Thats one of the best remakes ive seen of a set! Very smooth and detailed as always from you. You might want to add a bit of story to it, so it fits in with the theme of the competition. But on the whole, very good work :pir-classic:

Aaaa... The story?

Let`s just say...

Or maybe no. This story would be rather boring. They all are drinking rum :pir-tongue:

Thanks Derfel.

Very impressive. The tiles used to allow the top level to come over is brilliant.

I really like your design, it holds true to the older actual LEGO sets but in a larger scale and a little more accurate.

The dungeon area is just cool. Great job!

Drinking rum sounds like a wonderful back-story to me! Oh, and on this occasion I'd have to disagree with Rick, I think this one fits the bill perfectly, even though there's no pirates shaking hands with soldiers and drinking rum together going on here. Having a couple of pirates locked up is perhaps a tad bit unpeaceful, but then again that's the way of the world, I guess.

Kris, are you going for a second consecutive EB Contest win here? It sure looks that way to me! Best of luck in the contest, this one is one of the top 3 entries in all divisions so far.

Your MOCs are pretty much like Derfel Cardam's - giving you tips on what to change and how to improve seems a little unnecessary. How do you give tips to someone who's used four thousand bricks to recreate an original Pirates set anyway?! That said, I really would have loved to see a boat or two. There, I said it :P. Not actual ships, just custom-made boats, since I think you could do a great job with those and they'd liven up the surroundings of the Fortress even more. But I guess you can still build a boat and enter it in the Medium Division (how's that for an idea :pir-tongue: )

My favourite small detail in this one would probably be... the jugs. Yes, I know, there's nothing so special about them, but I don't think I've seen that four-piece design ever before and now it just looks so obvious and natural! The way the prison and the warehouse are situated, it looks the foundation rock has indeed been carved up to fit those... absolutely brilliant! I was wondering whether you could provide us with a few more indoor shots of the tower & the offloading bay... Yes, I just can't enough of this, I admit it... :pir-wub:

Drinking rum sounds like a wonderful back-story to me! Oh, and on this occasion I'd have to disagree with Rick, I think this one fits the bill perfectly, even though there's no pirates shaking hands with soldiers and drinking rum together going on here. Having a couple of pirates locked up is perhaps a tad bit unpeaceful, but then again that's the way of the world, I guess.

Alright, it's certainly not violent or anything, but maybe I'm missing the typical peaceful/peace time/end of war story to it that some other entries do have (like Nate's coming home from war scene). But other than that: excellent entry.

I`m not a big pirate fan.

Allright mister, that just cost you the competition :monkey:.

Very nice moc, I just love these moc-versions of sets. I like that you used yellow, makes it feel more classic than it would have with tan.

The only thing I don't really like are the minifigs, but other than that, it's brilliant.

Very impressive work. Everything about this looks fantastic. All the details are in perfect alignment and not a brick it out of place.

Great work. :pir_laugh2:

Bravo! bravo! Certainly the best entry yet! I was just blown away with the over all solid look, really makes it look as if it were ment to stand to anything anyone can throw it it. ~SR~

Very beautiful MOC Kris Kelvin. :pir-classic:

I love the idea of updating a great old set, and you've done it wonderfully. The entrance is very good. I've never seen that many cheese slopes used on an arch underside, usually it's just 4 or so. It looks excellent in a larger quantity. I like that you changed out the classic red for the new dark red, as it prevents the MOC from becoming too bright.

Good luck in the contest!

Fantastic work! This MOC is absolutely a magnificent blast from the past! I love the immense amount of detail you put into this! :pir-classic:

I love; the gravel ramp, the highly detailed rock wall, the S.N.O.T red-bricks-sticking-out-of-the-wall technique, and the lovely red roof on the (storeroom?)

However, there is one tiny little suggestion for this. I suggest for the fishes to be facing the inside of the barrels, because it seems more likely that they were dropped in the barrels in that position.

This has my vote of confidence, for sure.

Eldorado Fortress has great nostalgia for me, because I didn't have it - my cousins did. But I loved it anyway, and this is perfect. Plus, the Empty Barrel inspiration is spot on - that was my favorite MOC in recent history. This model, apart from making the Fortress actually seem more fortress-like, with thick walls and heavier doors, really looks like a military base because of how it's set up - seperate buildings along an outer wall, with a courtyard. Classic "fort" structure.

I was going to list what I like (the wood construction in the stone basement, the ball and chain, and the red tile roof jump out most), but frankly it's easier to list the one thing I don't - those should be old-school Blueshirts manning the battlements!

And I have one request, and that's to see a top-down, or more complete shot of the courtyard itself. There's a couple shots that show it off, but only really from the back angle, and I'd like to see what's hiding around the corners of the buildings.

Oh, and thanks, too. Ever since seeing the "upgraded" Lagoon Lock-Up, I've been thinking about attempting a full-scale sprucing of Rock Island Refuge, and this has spurred me into starting immediately.

Edited by Briggs Broadside

Wow! Fantastic creation!

I also really love the Eldorado Fortress and was shocked (in a good way that is!) to see this beautiful recreation of it. It is also nicely made to a larger scale.

My only complaint is that you set it to the Red coats! Boo! Where are the blue coats? :pir-tongue:

WOW. What a fantastic MOC. At first glance there can be no doubt about Eldorado serving as the inspiration. You improved it in every way imaginable but for me the real jem is the subterranean level. The addition of this underground level really brings the for to life. I would love to see one of the rooms clearly set up as a powder magazine. Totally amazing.

WOW. What a fantastic MOC. At first glance there can be no doubt about Eldorado serving as the inspiration. You improved it in every way imaginable but for me the real jem is the subterranean level. The addition of this underground level really brings the for to life. I would love to see one of the rooms clearly set up as a powder magazine. Totally amazing.

When I wanted the Eldorado fortress as a kid (and finally got it), I was always naively hoping there would be a secret entrance into the 'rock' at the left side under the yellow arch.

6276-1.jpg

Kris, are you going for a second consecutive EB Contest win here?

Well...

It was a top secret, but yes. I`m going to win every contest in Eurobricks and then I will become real pirat :jollyroger:

Allright mister, that just cost you the competition :monkey:.

I`ll remember that :pir-skull:

This is great the way it is I say keep all the classic colors dont change it one bit!

YES SIR ! ! !

However, there is one tiny little suggestion for this. I suggest for the fishes to be facing the inside of the barrels, because it seems more likely that they were dropped in the barrels in that position.

I will remember that too :pir-cry_happy:

And I have one request, and that's to see a top-down, or more complete shot of the courtyard itself. There's a couple shots that show it off, but only really from the back angle, and I'd like to see what's hiding around the corners of the buildings.

Honestly, there isn`t much to see. You will see when the full gallery will be public.

My only complaint is that you set it to the Red coats! Boo! Where are the blue coats? :pir-tongue:

Well. I didn`t have any of them so I used other minifigs which fits quite well. Better than Black Falcons for example :pir_laugh2:

I would love to see one of the rooms clearly set up as a powder magazine. Totally amazing.

This big room is some kind of n armory.

And thank you all for another wave of very kind words :pir-cry_happy:

The gallery is public now.

Edited by kris kelvin