Sign in to follow this  
Davey

LEGO Nintendo Entertainment System & TV

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Hey all! I just completed a MOC that was part of Round #6 of the MOCOlympics over on MOCPages.com. The category I had to build in was called 'Atari' and the goal was to build something from classic video games (think pre-1995). I started this round about the same as I have started all the other rounds…with no idea what to build. In fact, after the categories were posted, I decided to take a few days and just think about what to build. Unfortunately, business travel came up meaning I had more days than I had originally thought to think about my idea…and subsequently less days to build. That said, I came home from my trip and put in many, many hours building what you see here…a replica Nintendo Entertainment System complete with two controllers, Tetris game cartridge, and TV.

4065931622_b964d4c8c3.jpg

So why did I decide to build an NES? I think mainly just to see if I could. I’ve never done something I would consider ‘art’ or ‘scuplture’ in LEGO and I really wanted to give it a try and see if I could recreate something directly to scale. I must say that it was a real challenge to get the dimensions and proportions correct, but I think I managed. The console, controllers, and cartridge are all within about a 1/16 of an inch of the actual dimensions. The TV was not really based on anything and was just my own little 13” TV creation.

4065182073_057aa484f3.jpg

You can check out the rest of the series over on my Flickr photostream.

Hope you all enjoy it!

-Dave

tot-lug_100x40.jpg

Edited by Rufus
Indexed

Very interesting creation. It looks quite real. You did nice job.

it looks easy to build this, bit I am sure it was very tricky.

The toughest part was managing to get to proportions correct. Since I wanted to be accurate on dimensions and proportions I had to use a few odd techniques. The hardest parts were the power and reset buttons and the front loading slot door. Aside from that it wasn't too bad of a build. :-)

-Dave

tot-lug_100x40.jpg

Really nice job. I somewhat recently bought and sold a NES, so its image is still fresh in my head. That looks very realistic. :thumbup:

this an awesome creation.

nice work.

i like the push down mechanism and the buttons. very creative.

and why did you need to put indoor antenna on your TV? :classic:

Through means not important, I found this thread by chance and I have to comment.

As a huge original Nintendo fan, this is just fantastic, it's so pleasing to look at. You also NAILED the proportions on the controllers, and the system.

The tetris pieces are perfectly proportionate and you even made cords, that PLUG IN!!!!

Seriously awesome work, this is worth a bump, more people need to see this.

I have tried doing things like this a few times and I know how hard it is.

I never managed to make it real good. But you did! It looks great :thumbup:

When you don't know you don't see it's made of lego at all (perhaps only because it's an old game with a flatscreen tv :laugh:

Thanks for the bump guys! I've received a lot of positive feedback on this one over the past few months. I've done a couple of interviews for various publications regarding this MOC...though I'm not completely sure when the published articles are coming out. Maybe in the next couple of months. I'll update the thread once the articles are out.

-Davey

tot-lug_100x40.jpg

I used the 1x1 round bricks with a small string threaded through them. :classic:

-Davey

I used the 1x1 round bricks with a small string threaded through them. :classic:

-Davey

Thanks for a very quick reply. And I think you made a very realistic model of the old NES.

I saw this a while ago on a different website and thought how amazing it was, all the attention to detail and just how cool it all was. Now I have the chance to express my thoughts to the builder! Fantastic job Davey! Very cool indeed. :thumbup:

~Peace

Whoever the sadist was that gave you that category should be strung up by his thumbs then made to peel the tiles off of one of Kelso's SHIPs... oh wait... never mind.

That's right my friend. Even after all this time, I still think this is one of your finest builds. And I LOVE the picture of you "playing" it.

~Chris.

This is great Dave! :classic: I seem to have missed this when you initially posted it. I like the way the bottom of the game 'cassette' (if that's the right word) turned out. Looks a lot like the pins you typically see on the bottom of those. In the second picture, the console and the controller are indiscernible from the real thing.

'Davey' - pure genius - excellent tv screen, even more awesome video game console ! :sweet::grin::laugh:

Great work and I'm a conformist! ' Davey' ! :laugh: