Sign in to follow this  
Norro

Another new pirate ship

I've seen this one on Lugnet lately. It is overcrowded and the overhang in the sterncastle part is too long - it looks like it's going to break off and fall into water.

I dont like the overcrowdness of this ship, if its not up to a land raid that is (though I doubt its a good ship for that). Ive never liked clonetroopers outside the starwars universe either...

Hmm... Maturity in the captains cabin... Btw, where from is the green hair?

Yes its definitely over crowded!

What I DON'T like about:

• Its WAAAAAAAY too over crowded.
  • The forecastle overhanging the stern - that just doesn't look right at all!

What I DO like about it:

[*]Its an original design and not an existing set with a few modifications.

[*]It has custom sails which adds further customisation.

Can anyone else find something positive to say about this MOC?

The forecastle overhanging the stern

I think that's a sterncastle (I'm not sure the term is correct though), but that surely is not a forecastle - the forecastle (or fo'c's'le) is a place in forward part of the ship where ordinary sailors (not captain or other important guys) live.

sure it needs a some work, but i've seen much worse...

i also don't know how old this guy is, perhaps he's just not as experienced as you people

The forecastle overhanging the stern

I think that's a sterncastle (I'm not sure the term is correct though), but that surely is not a forecastle - the forecastle (or fo'c's'le) is a place in forward part of the ship where ordinary sailors (not captain or other important guys) live.

You're correct about the forecastle, but as for sterncastle it appears thats not a word. However I haven't done a very extensive search on the subject so that may be incorrect. I'll look into it another time. Depending if anyone exhibits any interest...

Yes, as I said I'm not sure if this word even exists. The truth is the only place I came across it is this forum :)

This is my schooner.

Notes:

*The sterncastle (yes, it is a word) overhangs the end of the hull piece by only four studs. The base is one brick thick.

*The heavy crew is needed to properly crew prize ships. For longer voyages, the crew is reduced to 24 (There are about 40 aboard in the pictures).

*About me: I am 23, and have over $3000 USD of Lego pirate items. I have thirty-six ships assembled right now, and use them to play Evil Stevie's Pirate game.

*I found the green hair on Bricklink. Green female hair appeared in 6713 "Grip 'n' Go Challenge" and 6617 "Tough Truck Rally."

*Not every ship needs to be built high over the hull pieces. With mine, every available surface of the hull pieces of this ship is covered with decking. It isn't "empty."

*Since the webpage was posted, the sterncastle has been modified to have an angled back (like the 6285). I also added a staysail. I will post pictures soon.

Which thread was that in?

I was mistaken. It wasn't here that I saw this word in use, it was on lugnet. See how often it repeats there.

Ok somebody reported me this thread and I'll close it. I must point out that some of our best members really disappointed me by their totaly non constructive criticisms (not that I expect everyone to say "cooool" to every MOC). Not liking something is ok, but posting just to say it with nothing else is pointless.

though a special thanks to Phes and sneffy who tried their best to redirect the debate on a higher level.

Edit : reopened at the request of Wes

Some improvements since the original pictures:

geisha_11.jpg

geisha_13.jpg

geisha_14.jpg

geisha_stern.jpg

I went with pink for the size window lattices because they make a good accent. Can you believe they cost a dollar each? :/

i like the interior :oD

the red colors remind me of the materials they used in palaces, parliaments,... it suggests wealth and social status... it gives a good contrast with the outside elements of the ship too...

the model reminds me of the ships in the mid-late 19th century when ships are no longer floating works of art, but efficient and simple

i'd still loose a cannon and build a small cannon on the railing... i guess i'd no longer see this as a war ship, but as a diplomatic ship, i think it has lots of potential for that

the red colors remind me of the materials they used in palaces, parliaments,... it suggests wealth and social status... it gives a good contrast with the outside elements of the ship too...

the model reminds me of the ships in the mid-late 19th century when ships are no longer floating works of art, but efficient and simple

i'd still loose a cannon and build a small cannon on the railing... i guess i'd no longer see this as a war ship, but as a diplomatic ship, i think it has lots of potential for that

Hmm, interesting notes and suggestion. I imagined her to be a later-era privateering craft whose mission was to raid merchants and beat up on small to mid-size pirate ships. I didn't want her to be too fancy, or to use too many pieces (though in all honesty I considered coating her in 1 x 2 chrome gold tiles)

;)

One of her sister ships actually has 4 small carronades on the rails of the foc'sle and quarterdeck, along with a huge mortar amidships (made with a 4 x 4 kettle). I'll post more pictures soon (I've got to be off to campus now though).

Hmm, interesting notes and suggestion. I imagined her to be a later-era privateering craft whose mission was to raid merchants and beat up on small to mid-size pirate ships. I didn't want her to be too fancy, or to use too many pieces (though in all honesty I considered coating her in 1 x 2 chrome gold tiles)

;)

One of her sister ships actually has 4 small carronades on the rails of the foc'sle and quarterdeck, along with a huge mortar amidships (made with a 4 x 4 kettle). I'll post more pictures soon (I've got to be off to campus now though).

that would work as well, but the idea of these ships is that they're fast, mobile, flexibel, so having a collection of classic cannons would be out of the question, i guess

i would also add more ropes for the masts

Yes those are good sugestions snefroe..But Wes are you going to tell me what u think of my ESPG thing I sent you?

Any extra ropes added to the rigging increase the surface area that side-winds have on the ship, and increase the likelihood of potentially capsizing. Schooners were historically as light as possible with the rigging for this reason (it's also why many sailboats have deep, weighted keels).

I like the classic cannon, actually. :)

Notes:

*The sterncastle (yes, it is a word) overhangs the end of the hull piece by only four studs. The base is one brick thick.

Where is the word "sterncastle" defined? I haven't come across it in a dictionary as yet and be wondering where I can find an official reference.