SlyOwl

Pillaging Port Royal

I'm sure everyone would be interested if you shared a little info with us on how long this took you and aprox. how many pieces you used :classic:

Looks great, but I don't care for the green pod thingy that is on the barrel of the soldiers musket.

Ratshot

Thanks again for the comments :pir-blush:

Thanks! That's a nice cannon design. From the photos I somehow thought the barrels were not smooth: must have be the lighting.

Hmm... it does look like it. Must be the natural light coming through the trees in my garden.

I'm sure everyone would be interested if you shared a little info with us on how long this took you and aprox. how many pieces you used :classic:

Looks great, but I don't care for the green pod thingy that is on the barrel of the soldiers musket.

Green? Stupid being colour blind, I thought it was yellow! :pir-cry_sad:

Must have taken me 10 hours or so overall (my collection is geared up for exactly this style of building, and I'd done a fair bit of "mental construction" beforehand - that is, working out what I know I can build and what will fit in etc.). Parts-wise, I haven't got a clue, but it's probably in the region of 2500 bricks... but as I get more parts (e.g bigger plates), the number of parts I use, and thus the time spent building, decreases. For example, I recently got 5 6x12 bley plates off BL, all of which I used in this MOC. Before that, I would have had to use bricks and small plates (up to 2x4) to do the same area.

UM...Yes Please. This is one of those MOC's that I just wish I could see in person because it has so much life and so many details. Great job in ordering your chaos. As first glance it is just exploding with with activity but as you watch it the scene comes to life and everything makes sence. Plus senseless undead violence is always a good subject for any raiding pillaging MOC. Excellent!

UM...Yes Please. This is one of those MOC's that I just wish I could see in person because it has so much life and so many details. Great job in ordering your chaos. As first glance it is just exploding with with activity but as you watch it the scene comes to life and everything makes sence. Plus senseless undead violence is always a good subject for any raiding pillaging MOC. Excellent!

Now that perfectly describes what I want to say. :pir-sweet:

I just keep laughing at the skeleton on the beach, who is running away with a barrel. (See centre frame in the 7th pic.) The fact of him being the smiling old-style skeleton, added to him hot-footing it away from all the carnage, just makes him look so sneaky and well chuffed about his bounty!

Of course its a great model. I need to try harder at my slope gradients, because yours always look "just right". Would you say it comes with practise, or do you simply shufle pieces about til you're happy? My only suggestion is that while the fire is very clever, can you think of any way to break up the colour a little? I keep finding my eye drawn to it. However, it may look different in brick anyway.

SlyOwl you never cease to impress me. You always create new inventive ideas for your MOCs, and I always enjoy looking at your MOCs. I hope one day to be about 25% as good as you :pir_laugh2: and I'm already 29 yrs old... I must get going then :pir-classic:

Wow, more replies - ta! :pir-blush:

I just keep laughing at the skeleton on the beach, who is running away with a barrel. (See centre frame in the 7th pic.) The fact of him being the smiling old-style skeleton, added to him hot-footing it away from all the carnage, just makes him look so sneaky and well chuffed about his bounty!

Yes, I wish there was more variation in skele faces... so I had to make do!

Of course its a great model. I need to try harder at my slope gradients, because yours always look "just right". Would you say it comes with practise, or do you simply shufle pieces about til you're happy?

I can generally get the slope right first time; normally it's a "straight-up" slope, without any dips, so it is pretty straight-forward. With more uneven surfaces, I have to re-build them a couple of times to get them the way I want them.

My only suggestion is that while the fire is very clever, can you think of any way to break up the colour a little? I keep finding my eye drawn to it. However, it may look different in brick anyway.

I used a mix of the old trans-orange and the new dark-orange flames, but it doesn't really look much better in real life (worse perhaps, as the gaps between each chain of flames shows more). I want to get my hands on some of the new bright orange flames (I only have one at the moment), which could add some more variation, but I don't think it will have much impact.

I'm thinking about getting some of the larger flame pieces from Agents/the new Castle sets to integrate, which should make more of an effect. As far as I'm aware, though, there isn't a way to connect them together to make bigger flames.

Definitely something I need to work on :thumbup:

Another Incredible MOC SlyOwl :pir-wub:

I really like the Snot water :pir-wub: and the havoc is crazy! :pir-laugh: I love it!!

I like your roof technique, also I love the fire on the house :pir-wub:

Do you have a topic for the Aslan's How MOC? :pir-wub:

Great job and looking forward to your next MOC!

CommanderFox

Edited by CommanderFox

Hi SlyOwl,

I really like what you've done with this MOC.

The walls and gate really have a feel of a fortified port.

They really look authentic

I really love the techniques you've used. :thumbup:

You can view my next comments as an attempt to help you improve your designs even more to an ever better level.

The tudor style housing is done very well, although I'm not sure about the color choice for the red house.

Although it does add color variation to the MOC, which is good, a more "weathered"/"natural" color (maybe even sand-red) would be better in my humble opinion.

Also the location of unprotected/outer-wall housing just outside the wall does not look verry realistic. it offers an attacker a spot to hide..

although it looks more theatrical which helps the scene, i cannot stop wondering why the governor has allowed some dwellings to be build outside the gate within his firing range.

How can he fire a shot parrallel to the gate to kill of the attackers now..

All in all it is a really great MOC and a very good showcase of your excellent building skills.

Kind regards,

Teddy

More comments? Wow :pir-wub:

Do you have a topic for the Aslan's How MOC? :pir-wub:

Sure thing!

The tudor style housing is done very well, although I'm not sure about the color choice for the red house.

Although it does add color variation to the MOC, which is good, a more "weathered"/"natural" color (maybe even sand-red) would be better in my humble opinion.

Parts were the problem here. I'd used up all my tan, and the wall behind it was white, so I couldn't use that. I plan to buy bricks in more neutral tones (not owning many at the moment), to enable this in future. It was supposed to be ox-blood plaster, which can be quite vivid, but yes, you're right, it is too bright, and some variation would be nice.

Also the location of unprotected/outer-wall housing just outside the wall does not look verry realistic. it offers an attacker a spot to hide..

although it looks more theatrical which helps the scene, i cannot stop wondering why the governor has allowed some dwellings to be build outside the gate within his firing range.

How can he fire a shot parrallel to the gate to kill of the attackers now..

Well, my original plan was to have another building slightly behind the other two, without the wall, and just a small tower on the hill. I built the buildings first, and then the wall, thinking that it didn't quite make sense. Something to bear in mind, definitely. :pir-sweet:

Thanks for the advice :pir-wink:

Wow, Its official. My favorite fig is this guy:

portroyal10.jpg

Why you ask? Well find out yourself :pir-tongue:

I really enjoy looking at this creation, every time I look at it I see something I didnt see before!

Sly Owl, you are a true Lego Artist. I don't know if you borrowed the idea from someone else or it's a first, but the light blue with white bricks at the base of the clif to represent the surf i phenominal. Very pleasing to look at, like all of your work.

Wow, Its official. My favorite fig is this guy:

portroyal10.jpg

Why you ask? Well find out yourself :pir-tongue:

Dirty defector!!!!!!!! You turned to the evil red side :pir-tongue:

I always new there was something fishy about you :pir_laugh2:

Nicely done, i enjoy all the tiny details, such as. The holy cross in the rowing boat, the lady throwing out garbage.

The barricade. the shark fin. and ofcourse the fire. the tipped barrel with the green stuff pouring out, look nice aswell.

The decoration at the "Brick" walls suits quite well.

And ofcourse the rocks are beautiful.

All in all, extremely well done

Really nice MOC. I love the brick built English flag!

It's very similar to your Narnia build, and both of them are stunning!

Great work. pirate_classic.gif