Sign in to follow this  
shmails

Cheese Rolling

Wow, this is a GREAT entry. I love the slope of the ground, and the sheer number of minifigs is amazing. They density of figs makes it feel like a real sporting event, and the hill is astounding, it makes it seem so much bigger (which, in fact, it is, by a factor of one to the square root of two, compared to a flat 16x16 entry). Actually, my first response when I opened up the thread was, "that is NOT sixteen by sixteen", and then I looked closer, and it was. Bravo, excellent job.

Oh wow, this is spectacular.

All the facves are using the perfect expression, and the hillside is very nicely done. I love the theme too, its so much fun, pirates probably wouldn't do that in real life. But that makes it that much better.

First of all, welcome to Eurobricks and Classic-Pirates, shmails! What a lovely way to make your introduction to the forum - this one is definitely an instant favourite of mine in the Medium Category! I really enjoyed the innovative idea and of course, the fact that I didn't need to read one word of your presentation in order to know what's going on there - even though it's pretty zany!

Your subtle use of 1x1 round trans-clear plates to add the sense of action to this MOC is brilliant - especially combined with that priceless expression of the cabin boy who was heading the race before slipping up there... As Tereglith pointed out, the sheer amount of minifigs makes this one feel very real and it looks just as if it were an actual action-packed crazy event - which it is precisely :pir_laugh2: . The additional elements you've added to the entry however also add a lot to it - both the simple yet brilliant-looking fence on the left (your right :P) and the curved flagpole. You also haven't failed to include the element of cheating, with one pirate captain trying to blow off a cabin boy's head - not sounding the violence bells there, I'm just noting that all those little detais you've included are indeed brilliant and _very_ noticable, which is great!

Regarding any addition ideas for this MOC - I'd just suggest adding a yellow 2 x 2 round tile to the cheese there in order to make it look even more "round". And the captains in the "stands" look like they could use some additional incentive to cheer on their cabin boys even more - how about adding a small betting scene in the background (most suitably, in the shades beneath the palm tree!) and having some coins exchanging ownership? That should look like a nice addition!

Even without those (or any!) additions though, this one is, as I said, a prime contender in my point of view. Best of luck in the competition and I hope to see more MOCs from you soon :] Enjoy your stay here on EB!

Wow this entry is so full of action! I love it! The pirates on the side line look great as does the fence they are standing behind. You used some decals, which I think are a little bit too chesty, but that’s just me. There is however some room for improvement:

-The whole hillside is green, this looks somewhat unnatural. I think it would look better if you added some grey rocks made of plates and cheese slopes.

-You made some height differences in the green field, this could be done more to make it look more realistic.

-I think you only made one brown pole to suggest the field stretches out more on the right side, but I think it would look better if you made a second brown pole on the other side of the flags.

-I don’t like some of the running pirates. Especially the smiley face in the middle.

-I agree with the comment above about tiling up the cheese with a 2x2 round yellow tile.

That’s all!

~Badboy

Very good entry! I really like the hill, the rolling cheese, and especially the posing of the participating minifigs, but also the spectators. :pir_laugh2:

Great entry, :thumbup:

I really like it, you have made a great hill with a lot of figs.

I love that guy falling, which thinks he's getting shot (or is he?) and that guy sliding with that scared face. :pir_laugh2:

the Inventor

Thanks for all the kind words everyone! I will look into some minor improvements to the MOC. I have to say I love a site where people are allowed to give true constructive criticism without sugar coating the responses. Thanks again, and you will see more from me soon!

Creative idea and you've pulled it off excellently with some funny concepts.

All of the green slopes are delicious. I think I may need some more to try a nice steep hill like this. Although some of the grass elements use bother me a little. Especially the one right behind the cheese. Wouldn't it have run over that part of the hill making it at least a little flatter. The decals on the figures look great though.

Are they your own? They look fantastic.

The palm tree could maybe do with a few more palm fronds, but everything still looks great.

Great entry into the medium category. :pir-classic:

I would like to find some idea to improve this MOC, other than others said, but I can't.

It is great!

The idea, the spectators, the pirates running and falling down, their faces, the sloped grass, everything is beautiful!

:pir_laugh2: I always see this on TSN or ESPN in the highlights and it always makes me laugh. Great entry. :pir-classic:

Any MOC that makes me laugh before I even read the description is a good one! very good job of cathing the action sequence and imposing something from real life into pirate LEGO. I really like the look of the hill and the way you made a neat look spectators "area". The colors you chose are just fantastic! They are so rich and vibrant that the whole MOC just stands out beautifully!

I really like new ideas and new building techniques and you have brough in both! Good job!

-martinsuper

The cheese is rolling over the frontpage of Classic-Pirates.com today! :pir-sweet:

It certainly deserves it.

This is one of the top entries by far, one thing thought, why is that captain shooting one of the cabin boys, violence is a no-no.

I like rolling!

Do you like rolling out of bed in the morning cause I hate it. Its so cold :pir-sing:

...one thing thought, why is that captain shooting one of the cabin boys, violence is a no-no.

That's anything but violence, I'd call it cheating instead, seeing as he's obviously failed to hit anyone - and it's definitely way below the violence threshold as defined by SlyOwl before the contest started.

I fully agree with your point there about this being one of the best entries!