Sign in to follow this  
KimT

The end of Bionicle by 2010?

I actually like this a bit. Keep in mind that they probably have something similar to bionicle, or maybe some awesome new line in its place. I think it was about time as the sets were getting worse and worse.

if you like bionicle it's really cheap everywhere so there's no problem there....

Well well well.

Time to properly organize my thoughts on this matter.

BIONICLE has been a very large part of my life since I was small. While this news was sad, it was to be expected.

We here at Eurobricks have known this for months. So have many BZPower members. My friend, Starparu411, has been trying to convince BZPower of BIONICLE's end for a while now.

BIONICLE has had a good run. 9 long years, filled with a very nice storyline, inventive sets, and more.

It's time to put the line to rest.

The story isn't ending, the new line will be BIONICLE-compatible and will not be Ben 10; I don't get why people are so upset.

The torch has been passed. If we want the BIONICLE story to continue, it's up to us, the fans, on both Eurobricks, BZPower, and numerous other fan sites across the internet, to keep BIONICLE alive.

Now, for the good things.

This opens up so many new doors for Lego, and BIONICLE as a whole. We might finally get new torsos, new limbs, and a number of other things with this new line. In terms of the BIONICLE story, we might finally get character development, a story that's not so rushed, and more.

This is, IMHO, one of the best decisions Lego could make in terms of BIONICLE.

Well played, Lego. Well played.

And does anyone else think they put this quote in The Legend Reborn:

It is said that all endings are merely beginnings, waiting to be born.

To kind of foreshadow this? I dunno. =/

Anyway, I have high hopes for the replacement line. And to me, BIONICLE hasn't ended. And it never will end, as long as we, the fans, are here to support it.

-Mesonak

Its sad to see it go especially for bionicle fans every where. I feel that they were starting to run out of ideas for them and the newer ones weren't as appealing than the originals. I remember I won a competition were I won all the very first bionicles. Good times :classic:

To be honest I'm a little confused as to why so many people are sad about this? I grew up with BIONICLE, so obviously I'm rather fond of it. But there is still the storyline going on! And the replacement line will certainly be at least as good as the current sets, so really the only difference will be that the "sets" won't be related to the story. Which frees up A LOT of things Greg has always been restricted by.

Also, because the story won't be based on selling sets any more, it's possible the story will mature a bit more. With the "target audience" almost entirely removed from the storyline now, it won't be a concern. And for those of you who think the storyline has become to complicated, well. There's probably going to be a new one for the replacement line (probably), and LEGO is smart enough to NOT have two intricate stories going on at the same time. And most likely the story will "wrap up" enough this year that a fan could contentedly leave it.

So I'm very happy to see where this goes. As a BIONICLE lover for the last 10 years, one who would be no doubt genuinely upset if anything truly major were to occur, I give LEGO my approval of this. :thumbup:

Call me a pessimist, but the story could just go to the dogs from here on out. I'm fearing all fanon => canon, and with Greg's connection with BZP and the constant PMs of asking whether "______ is canon", it could turn out bad. Then again, although it could, doesn't mean it will.

Bionicle has been a huge part in keeping Lego afloat, from what I know. A risky move, but I think it's time.

Personally Bionicle had been my entire interest in Lego starting soon after it came out, until the last year or so. With the price hikes [look at 2010's sets. >.>], hopefully this reboot will be a real reboot. I'd like to see where Lego can branch off from all this.

At least we'll still have the pieces to MOC with, as well as the story.

[-TA-]

To be honest I'm a little confused as to why so many people are sad about this? I grew up with BIONICLE, so obviously I'm rather fond of it. But there is still the storyline going on! And the replacement line will certainly be at least as good as the current sets, so really the only difference will be that the "sets" won't be related to the story. Which frees up A LOT of things Greg has always been restricted by.

I'm also thoroughly pleased for the story and such, but it's still disappointing to know that we won't be getting any other Bionicle related stuff, such as new Kanohi shapes and set forms for characters, nor will we be getting much more of the fantastic arty backgrounds and graphics that made Bionicle go great.

For the story though, I sincerely hope that the lack of sets doesn't prevent LEGO from investing in more approved-for-story names and such, because it would be a great disappointment if we don't get any new names for the confirmed 1 and a half years of extended story.

Call me a pessimist, but the story could just go to the dogs from here on out. I'm fearing all fanon => canon, and with Greg's connection with BZP and the constant PMs of asking whether "______ is canon", it could turn out bad. Then again, although it could, doesn't mean it will.

I think it's for the better, since Greg won't have to incorporate all the sets into the story, and it shouldn't be as all-over-the-place as it's become.

And I don't think someone asking if [blank] is canon is going to have much of an effect on what the story ends up being; I think it'll be more along the lines of a few polls deciding some main points in the story, or even a contest or two.

I suppose this goes here instead of the 2010 topic, and it addresses some of the points stated earlier.

Well, I can truthfully say I'm sorry to hear this. I have always loved Bionicle, its story, its sets, and everything about it- I'll be truly sorry to see it go. Fortunately, we will see the story flourish hopefully for years after- and maybe it will earn a place in some of the greater franchises of its time as well as a solid place in the halls of sci-fi glory. However, it won't be the same without being able to hold the physical representations of characters- I dare to say that it was the original visuals- Tahu surfing on a rock in molten lava, Pohatu kicking a stone in a dynamic pose, Kopaka standing lonely and stalwart on an icy peak, Gali hanging from a cliff over watery depths, Lewa swinging on a vine in the jungle, and Onua clawing his way through another tunnel- indeed, the visuals were what sparked my initial interest- not the story. The story, I came to love... the sets have always been dear to me. I hope that the new, articulated line is able to present such exciting visuals as the original Bionicle sets did, and I will attempt its story, I suppose. As long as it's pieces are compatible with the old Bionicle sets, which I have no doubt they will be, and they continue on a vein of unique, new ideas (moving away from masks and entering a new and more interesting design style), I will continue to buy them. Perhaps they will simply be a continuation of the line I have loved for the past ten years of my life to me, no matter what new title they bear.

Bionicle, you are my childhood. You will be remembered.

This amazing line will not be forgotten. I'm getting really emotional... it's like my childhood ending. :cry_sad: Still, the future can bring great things, so I will try the new line as well.

What we need for the story based items are mass-character competitions, like with the Rahi and Dark Hunters. If it works, we can create characters based on descriptions Greg provide!

-ZotS

While I never liked or cared to build in Bionicle, I certainly noticed that half a generation of children grew up on Bionicle. TLG's marketing of the story through scholastic books in the states put Bionicle in (potentially) every elementary school classroom in America. And its my understanding that Bionicle sales kept Lego afloat during its near run-in with bankruptcy and liquidation a few years ago. For the above reasons I'm sorry to see the line go. The market for the sets (a huge number of children who are junior hobbeyists) is being set adrift.

But... But... Can't be!!! I was Bionicle fan since first sets came up. I have every water/ blue set. And now it's over? Just like that? I feel like I want new torso... :cry_sad:

Bye, Bye Bionicle

Now scattered, you will run

Left burning in the sun

Prepare to be...

Bye bye Bionicle

... be gone

Cryoshell needs to make a Song about this... this is really sad.... Part of our childhood is going away...

It can only mean that TLG will replace Bionicle with a similar theme aimed at an older year group.

Ben Ten is Replecment... I think...

It´s sad but the storyline is still rolling and we get new sets that should look very similar to Bionicle...

Just a stupid Czech site that doesn´t know anything about it they said...the translation might be off they said...well...in your face! :P

Tell me this isnt true. I-i-i..Im not seeing this really, right?

Noooo! It cant end this way!

Only 6 sets... :cry_sad:

At the beginning there was 6 sets, and at the end there will be 6...

Edited by Zenox

Ben Ten is Replecment... I think...

No, the new theme is going to be revealed in 2010, at toyfair, it is being released in summer of 2010.

Ben 10 is Winter.

This is great news! Now LEGO can spend its resources on better themes. I wonder what will replace bionicle, hopefully something that will be a little more compatible with regular system LEGO.

Tell me this isnt true. I-i-i..Im not seeing this really, right?

Noooo! It cant end this way!

Only 6 sets... :cry_sad:

At the beginning there was 6 sets, and at the end there will be 6...

Actually, there were 17 sets at the beginning, not including the Tohunga. There were the six Toa, the six Turage, and the Rahi: Nui-Rama, Nui-Jaga, Tarakava, Muaka and Kane-Ra, and the Manas crabs.

Nevertheless, I am sad to see it go. I believe I was twelve when Bionicle first came out, and I had so many adventures on Mata Nui.

I was the young age of 11 when I got my first Bionicle. :cry_happy: Happy days, happy days....

I have been a solid collector through all the years. From the exiting Toa Metru, to the dissapointing Adaptive Nuva's, but it has never ceased to give me so much fun and pleasure. :classic:

Oh, I am very sad to see it go :cry_sad: , and also very worried of it's replacement being like Ben 10 design, with no mocing ability. :hmpf_bad: But, hopefully it will be as good as Bionicle.

The Bionicle Team (yes we still refer to ourselves as "the Bionicle Project") did not chose to do this because Bionicle is not making money, or because we ran out of ideas. It is simply because we want to move on and do something even better, even greater. Nobody stay winners by doing the same over and over again. Innovation is the game we play.

I love Bionicle sets, I am one of the few in the team that actually am crazy about sitting at home and putting sets together, and I can promise you that I will still have cool stuff to put together after the Stars have left the building. If you love Bionicle, I will bet that you will like what the "not-more-to-be-named Bionicle Team" will bring in the future.

Front aka Erland

It makes sense on all fronts.

Bionicle - First of all, we have Ben 10 which is Bionicle-like in terms of price points, targeted audience, and to a degree design. Just like Space went away (for a while. Yay SPIII) when Star Wars started, Bionicle is being replaced by a licensed theme. Will it come back? Will another original theme replace it? I think that partially depends on the success or failure of Ben 10. I don't think they would have made Ben 10 as close to Bionicle as they did if Bionicle sales were really bad. We all want lines to go out with a bang but more often then not they go out with a whimper because of the reasons they are going out. Bionicle Stars, if they are the last gasp, are a nice little homage line but not a bang.

Indy - will be back if there is another movie. I would bet you a dollar. Until then Prince of Persia, which does have a movie coming out, covers the same space.

Agents - This is not unexpected. These action themes last a couple of waves and disappear. A few years later we'll get Alpha Team version 4 or Agents version 2 or Get Smart sets.

This is standard theme churn. Great information but nothing to get up in arms about. In fact, its a good thing keeping themes fresh (so fresh), exciting (you're so exciting to me).

-Tohst

Ben 10 will never be as good as Bionicle.

For the last time, Ben 10 is NOT the replacement theme for Bionicle. It's just meant to appeal to a younger audience.

The line replacing Bionicle will debut in Summer 2010.

The Bionicle Team (yes we still refer to ourselves as "the Bionicle Project") did not chose to do this because Bionicle is not making money, or because we ran out of ideas. It is simply because we want to move on and do something even better, even greater. Nobody stay winners by doing the same over and over again. Innovation is the game we play.

I love Bionicle sets, I am one of the few in the team that actually am crazy about sitting at home and putting sets together, and I can promise you that I will still have cool stuff to put together after the Stars have left the building. If you love Bionicle, I will bet that you will like what the "not-more-to-be-named Bionicle Team" will bring in the future.

Front aka Erland

I guess it's probabley classified until a later date, though it's worth a try, is the new '' better than Bionicle '' theme based around the Ben 10 body shape? Or will we still have little fiddley bits which are fun to get annoyed at? :tongue:

I am just so desperate to know. :look:

I want an ice world were all inhabitasnts are horrible mutated monster that beccome mechanicasl. anc a group of survivors try to live on in that planet moving like nomads.

AANNNDDD..that the survivors are like to the organic-mechanical beast but they have control of their actions.

OR A GREAT FRIGGIN WAR ON A PLANET OF FIREEEEAAARRRR

Ok...this is weird.

But a question Front. do the "Bionicle Project" team will led the story and the designs for this new rubber guys brand?