Sign in to follow this  
jansued

Pain in Paradise

th_thindexedgif.gif 100d

Ok, guys, I like to present (while still drooling about the Fort Eldorad...) "Pain in Paradise - fully reloaded"

Thanks for your critical remarks, Ye all will die a' most ugly death ;-)

After years of fighting, plundering, causing pain and trouble, Cap'n Blacktooth resgined and looked for a simple way to get richer. On his little Island, Gold wasn't a problem, but the health system was terrible. So he decided to work a dentist - which in fact is nearly the same as he did in first professional live: Torturing people and steal all their valuables...

1klein.jpg

He found nice lady and married her. Her special job was to calm down the patients and limit their chances of escape

2klein.jpg

In this case, Cap'n Blacktooth is working on a infected tooth of a Bluecoat Admiral which was highly infected and rotten from eating to much Luxury food.

3klein.jpg

I just removed the crew and the chair to show the state of the art medical equipment: Two different sizes of anaestetic devices and and emrgency medical rum dispenser, in case the Cap'n is in need.

4klein.jpg

The chair is made from the "Dark Room" of the Governors Castle. Those devices in that room weren't needed any more and so the blacksmith rebuild them...

5klein.jpg

Another satisfied cutsomer...

6klein.jpg

Good hunting to everybody in the contest. Unfortunately, I think I don't have the time for a large Entry, maybe medium.

Kind Regards,

JanSued

Edited by SlyOwl

Very funny concept. I like the use of the blue coat admiral!

I like the look, the build, and how you put it all together. I don't have an issue with the building techniques. My problem is that unless you told me this was an utlra primitive dental office, I wouldnt really know what these guys were up to. You have told me that its a dentist, and I can see that. But could you show me what without the storyline? Thats my only critic. Otherwise, nice build.

Good Job.

-martinsuper

Hey JanSued, now that's probably going to be one of the most painful entries in this year's contest - and with good reason too! As Martin said there, the entire MOC is pretty much reminiscent of a 16th century torture chamber rather than a dentist's office. The thing is, most people DO recognize their dentists as modern era torturers, so the connotations there are pretty spot on, I must say!

What I really enjoyed about this one was the use of the patched-up shark. Having that poor fella serviced by the self-proclaimed Dentist and then showing him off as an advertisement of sorts is a bloody (!) good idea in my point of view. Oh, and the anaesthetic devices are also... erm... how shall I put it... pretty adequate! Choosing a face for the captain with a mouth which lacks a tooth is pretty ironic too. If there's one thing missing here, it's the tooth fairy - or is that the captain's wife? :)

The only thing I wasn't thrilled about here was the quality of pictures provided. They all look a bit grainy and I'm not entirely sure what has caused that - but perhaps trying a different resolution might work? What program are you using to edit those - since I believe most photo editing apps offer a variety of options to enhance photo quality... For example, have you tried using a despeckle filter to remove noise from the pictures?

A painfully hilarious entry! I wish you best of luck in the contest with that one :)

Thanks, I think I will redo the photos, I don't like the quality either.

And maybe I'll get a more direct visual hint to the story of the whole thing...

Kind Regards,

JanSued

As the guys said, it does not appear as a dentist office, more like a torture chamber. That shark with the patch is suggesting it, but...

But once I have learned that is dentist, it was pretty funny. Especially patient's expression before and after procedure! And somehow maniacal expression of the Dentist himself is great!

I like your anesthetic devices, too!

Bravo! I think this MOC has been built well and is very creative! I admire the S.N.O.T. shelf you built for the gold goblet, along with the highly detailed floorboards! I also find the dentistry shark on top to be quite amusing and unique. :pir-classic:

The only suggestion I have for this MOC is to replace the old brown 1x2 smooth plate with one in new brown (if one is available), as old brown with lots of new brown around it looks too clashy and sticks out far too much. Or, you could add more old brown to make it even.

Hello!

I'm thinking about making it a modern style dentist, but I guess this would take much of the "esprit". A real, old fashioned dentist chair looks like this:

dentistry.jpg

Kind Regards,

JanSued

Hey Jansued, as I pointed out already, I dont't think that the fact you can't tell it's a dentist straight away is such a huge problem. Obviously, neither of us has been to a dentist a few centuries ago, so it's only fair we would have absolutely no image in our heads to go along with that. Your tooth-pulling torture chamber does look pretty nice (even thought that sounds sadistic here) as it is, and that picture you've provided goes to show that it also bears a significant resemblance to actual dentist's "offices" from back in those days. I actually loved all of the details which underline this one's true "dentist" nature, such as the tooth drilling machine :pir_laugh2: you've created using that whip and the patient's chair - the use of the shield there is great and so is the inclusion of a spitting bowl. So if I were you, I wouldn't worry about that too much.

One thing that could probably help this MOC become more recognizable would be trying to keep it in uniform colours. For example, if you could, I'd suggest replacing the red tap piece with a brown one and using brown 1x1 round pieces instead of the dark red ones in the pillars. Other than that, I also think that a photo showing a close-up of the patient and the captain at work without the actual pillar would work very nicely.

It's really nice and funny, but I have to say, the girl with the knife to the neck makes no sense in this MOC.

If you didn't tell me it was a dentist, I would not have figured it out, it looks like he is going to stab him with the "tooth".

With the explanations it's nice, but the sword has no place in a dentist office, it just doesn't make sense.

:pir_laugh2: Awesome MOC! A lot of nice details and great work on the dentist-chair. I think it's quite brave that the imperial moves into the chair when he sees all the weapons around it though :pir-sweet:

It's really nice and funny, but I have to say, the girl with the knife to the neck makes no sense in this MOC.

If you didn't tell me it was a dentist, I would not have figured it out, it looks like he is going to stab him with the "tooth".

With the explanations it's nice, but the sword has no place in a dentist office, it just doesn't make sense.

Thanks, good hint. I will work it over....

Very clever idea. I love the dentist assistant. In Holland we've got a song about that it's allways spring in the eyes of the docters assistant. The only thing I'm not sure about is the name of the dentist. Bluetooth?¿ What's wrong with goldtooth? Considering he's got golden teeth!

~Badboy

The new floor looks absolutely great and very realistic - it's an absolute winner! Having fewer instruments also looks nice there - it's good that you've still kept the most crucial "torturing devices" though :) I personally did find the sword hilarious, but holding the patient down with a hook looks even better - kind yet sinister :pir_laugh2: Removing the columns has also helped enhance the visibility a lot there, and hiding the barrel in the roof section was also a great idea. That way you can still see all the details without having them clutter up the view!

All in all, I enjoyed your initial entry, but those updates you've made have definitely made it look much better. As it is now, I think this one has become a very strong contender in the Small division - well done jansued!

Very nice idea, it is now understandable without reading all the explanations, which is always nice.

The floor is indeed nice, I also like the dentist's chair a lot.

Though what's really best about this MOC is the idea behind it. Given that probably everyone on this forum has at least once experienced pain at the dentist, you'll probably get a lot of sympathy, which is good for the voting :pir-classic:

In my opinion the improvements you've made really lifted this entry from a very average one (since it seemed quite confusing) to one of the best in the "small category". :thumbup:

Good luck with the content

Perfectionist

Terrific. It looks really great. You have lots of nice details and I really like your shark sign. However, this one hits a little too close to home. :pir_bawling: I hate the dentist! Good luck in the contest.