It's Disney faux-architecture. Personally, I think the proportions look waaaaaay out. I hope for something a little taller and more imposing looking than a dwarf-scaled theme park gift store :tongue:

The proportions are off, but it's intentional. Upper floor windows in Disneyland are deliberately underscaled. I forget why.

Upper floor windows in Disneyland are deliberately underscaled. I forget why.

Just like the castles. It gives the effect that the buildings are much taller without having to build so high - more or less an illusion.

Jamie Berard was a monorail driver in Disney (from what I heard). I think much of the architecture for all the modulars (with the exception of Market Street) resembles Disney. Fire Brigade especially looks like something out of Disney Main Street.

I can't wait, it's just that I hate LEGO SAH shipping these days. I can't get a large set without being crushed. :sad:

It's not LEGO. I worked for FedEx for years. It's considered air freight not just because it goes on a plane, but because of how far they throw it to load it onto their truck. :classic: The only time we had a slight crackdown on this policy was when someone threw a $50,000 painting, which then landed on an upright tube of architectural drawings thereby punching a nice circular hole through the cardboard, and subsequently the canvas of the painting itself. So, from what I've heard UPS is much the same.

Nice Find! And again I can extend my wanted list...

I'm a bit curious what kind of interior will be fit into this set, since a grocery store setup is something that's already been done. Oh well, we'll just wait and see.

While this would be some really nice elements for a modular (I'd love the window washer idea and the color scheme), is this wishful thinking or are you trying to bring across some 'inside' knowledge? (hoping for the latter :grin: )

You'll have to figure that out for yourselves. ;)

Ooooooh I love your mental powers! :oh3: What do we have to do to evoke more of those!

You can always send me a lot of cash! :tongue:

Maybe it looks like this? :pir_wacko:

242.EmporiumMainSt.jpg

Nope!

This sounds better and better, and I only just got finished building the fire station. :)

You know what would be really cool, but resides firmly in the "Will Never Happen" category? If LEGO would offer for sale - maybe just at stores or through the online shop - a small kit that comes with interiors for the Cafe Corner to make up for the lack of that detail back when they were more cautious/cost attentive on that set. It would be a small, inexpensive set with some furniture, extra set dressing, whatever.

Would be neat. :) But I know, I know, I can do that myself.

I think the best hope for that is for someone to build it as a custom factory design with LDD (or multiple designs for different parts)

I think the best hope for that is for someone to build it as a custom factory design with LDD (or multiple designs for different parts)

I think that has actually been done in the past when CC first came out. I certainly know a bunch of folks made their own versions and showcased them on Brickshelf among others.

I just thought it would be cool coming from LEGO officially. :)

I just thought it would be cool coming from LEGO officially. :)

Seconded! If TLG would allow Jamie Berard to spend a few days on this, I'm sure he would come up with something good.

edit:

But we're going off-topic (sorry, realized this only after actually posting)...

Edited by Rick

When Market Street came out, Lego Factory featured some furniture designs from Mel Caddick to populate that set - but the pages are gone now with the revamp to DesignByMe.

If you do a search for 'lego factory furniture' some of the old cached pages are still viewable.

Kecia at adventurers.dk heard it was tan, grey and dark green.

Steve

When Market Street came out, Lego Factory featured some furniture designs from Mel Caddick to populate that set - but the pages are gone now with the revamp to DesignByMe.

If you do a search for 'lego factory furniture' some of the old cached pages are still viewable.

Google cached Mel's page but not the furniture page. The Internet Archive has it, though:

http://web.archive.org/web/20080605175807/...sFurniture.aspx

The images don't come up, but I have them, so here they are:

picD7D60FAA-E543-404E-865C-35EF83D7.gif

pic2F9DD472-A7F2-4D42-B731-8984A3D1.jpg

picA8232B1E-9E90-4420-890B-E5219040.jpg

pic18FB535E-4811-4851-8160-E0C6BEED.jpg

Aaah, thanks for the pics!

I'm glad someone saved them. From memory there was also a feature about making furniture in Brickjournal - Mel is a contributor there (or editor).

Anyhoo, I find it highly doubtful LEGO will release a furniture service pack for a set that's now discontinued :wink:

Hey Svelte, where did the pick of the female and kid leaving some fancy building come from. Looks alot like what we all have been talking about. If it's what comming in March I will be getting one for sure - very impressed with what I can see so far.

If it's what comming in March I will be getting one for sure - very impressed with what I can see so far.

Haha! No, this is my own modular standard department store which I've only just finished. The fleshy figs should be a giveaway that it isn't an official set :laugh: I just updated my teaser pic and I hope to unveil it properly soon. Thanks for the kind comment! :sweet:

Haha! No, this is my own modular standard department store which I've only just finished. The fleshy figs should be a giveaway that it isn't an official set :laugh: I just updated my teaser pic and I hope to unveil it properly soon. Thanks for the kind comment! :sweet:

Now, there are some of us assumed yours, is an official one! :laugh:

Seriously, let us know when you fully unveil it. Your signature below appears to be like a timer, slowly lifting it up. By the way, I have seen the completed built up. It's impressive and I can't wait to see its interior. :wub:

Well if was April first I would be a fool. But in any case very good, Svelte. If that is the quality of the MOC's out there, one would think CONTEST - why not have a contest for a CC style building and street scape. What do you all think ?

I can't wait, it's just that I hate LEGO SAH shipping these days. I can't get a large set without being crushed. :sad:

Yeah I ordered the Eiffell tower a few weeks ago and the box had some pretty heavy damage due to Fedex Ground.

Yeah I ordered the Eiffell tower a few weeks ago and the box had some pretty heavy damage due to Fedex Ground.

I thought SAH used UPS in the US, at least they do down here in Texas.

But I had the same problem with my Eiffel Tower.

What can brown do for you? Crush your LEGO setbox, that's what.

Edited by Johnny 5

Wow, I actually had a dream about modular buildings last night. These things are getting to me! Problem is, I don't have room to store more than 3 the way I'm doing it now. Gonna have to get creative.

Just like the castles. It gives the effect that the buildings are much taller without having to build so high - more or less an illusion.

Jamie Berard was a monorail driver in Disney (from what I heard). I think much of the architecture for all the modulars (with the exception of Market Street) resembles Disney. Fire Brigade especially looks like something out of Disney Main Street.

I got to disney every year and i thought they looked similar but I thought it was a coincidence. Cafe Corner would fit right in there.

Does anyone know if this set comes with a vehicle, like the fire station did? I think a nice old-style lorry could work with a set like this.

Does anyone know if this set comes with a vehicle, like the fire station did? I think a nice old-style lorry could work with a set like this.

Ack! I hope not. 90% of LEGO official sets are vehicle-based, so I really don't want to see them become a trend within the Modular Buildings line :sceptic: