The manager at my local LEGO store seems to think that City Hall is the next to retire.

:(

Any reason why?

Wow, isn't that an unexpected turn! To be honest, from what I've seen and heard from some employees, the Town Hall isn't selling to hot, while the Pet Shop and Grand Emporium are. A matter-of-fact, some of my friends who aren't into LEGO have the Grand Emporium.

Wow, isn't that an unexpected turn! To be honest, from what I've seen and heard from some employees, the Town Hall isn't selling to hot, while the Pet Shop and Grand Emporium are. A matter-of-fact, some of my friends who aren't into LEGO have the Grand Emporium.

I find this unfortunate, they're retiring sets faster than I can purchase them, and I was looking forward to buying both the GE and TH. I guess I'll be purchasing one this month, since they're both priorities now. Chances are I won't be able to pick, though. I say this since GE is probably already gone. Well, that's life for ya Freddy.

I was counting on Lego to retire the modulars in the same order as they were released (as they have done to the first ones). But it wouldn't surprise me if TH (and maybe PC?) goes before GE and PS. Personally I like GE and PS better than the two others and I can imagine they sell better. It doesn't take an MBA to understand why they would do that then.

Now, how do I scrape together money fast enough to buy them all before they're retired....

I say this since GE is probably already gone. Well, that's life for ya Freddy.

Why do you think GE is already gone? It's still available here in both s@h and regular stores.

I kind of thought along those lines of the Town Hall not being a good seller as being a reason to retire early. After all it is a bit more expensive and a lot taller than the others which might be putting people off from buying other than the serious modular buyers! Time will tell.

I love the GE I have two. I have TH and it's really awesome. It has so many cool features I can't see why people wouldn't like it as much as the others. The only modular I don't have in circulation right now is PC. I just don't like PC because it looks so much more different next to the other modulars. I really wish I got GG when it was out. I really wanted it so bad but back then I didn't have the money to buy it. If TH is going next I say save up some money and buy it asap or take out a loan and buy it.

At this year's LEGO World in Copenhagen the TH and FB were sold with big discounts, almost 50% off. The other modulars there were sold at normal prices. It could be a finger point to where it's going.

Edited by laka

I have collected all of them from the Fire Brigade to the present with the exception of TH. I was going to buy more pieces for my MOC, but may have to use the end of the month extra pay to go ahead and get TH just in case this is true. I do find it hard to believe that they would not be retired in the order they came out, however sales statistics could help in creating an exception. TH does not seem that bad to me. It is simply more expensive, and it does seem to hold true to a public building design.

As for GE, it is hard to predict how long it will be out as well. If someone was going to choose between TH and GE on their next purchase, I would simply advise to get the one you want the most.

I spoke to one of the Staff members at my local Lego store about a month ago and he said that GE was next in line to be retired. I guess i'll be getting the TH at the end of the month instead of the passenger train(7938) just in case things have changed.

That is odd they would discontinue the sets out of order. Even if the Town Hall isn't selling as well, they wouldn't have to make any future productions of it. Just sell off the remaining stock and if it sells out first, then let it be so.

I'm glad I own both already, but that does make one wonder if they don't have as long of a shelf life as expected. I need PC and PR still, so I'm not too far behind.

So here is another one, it's still not done. I'm planning on getting it on a big grey plate, so she is going to get a bit wider. This will also get about one or two more floors  tall.

47123443051_eacb51d1ba_b.jpg

So any opinions on going to a 48x48 baseplate for the Grand Emporium? I think I'm going to do 9 or 10 floors, so having the wider foundation may give her a more pronounced look. Here is a quick mockup of 9 floors tall. Thank you for your input. Sorry to double post, I was bored today so her number got pulled.

Lego Grand Emporium XL

Edited by TinCan

11 hours ago, Boettner Builds said:

Check out my Instagram Boettner_builds for my XXXXL Grand Emporium MOD. It’s a little wider than 48x48 though...

Nice! I think 64x48 may work the best for me. I love that your build is the whole city block. are you doing any detail on the floors?  

On 2/25/2019 at 2:18 PM, Boettner Builds said:

I finally added floors to it, but haven’t started the interior details yet.

Well, she won't be the monster you have in the attic, but she'll rep my city very well. Still going to shoot for ten floors. Here is the start of this craziness, I'll snap some pictures after I get the first floor squared away. Thanks for the link and helping my decision to go 64x48. 

46501215834_be8a0ed9ef_b.jpgHere we go!

She going to be a beauty!!! One of the things I did with mine was to put only 2 windows in each “arch” opening. That way I could make the windows go further. They’re pretty expensive and I’m using several hundred!

9 hours ago, Boettner Builds said:

She going to be a beauty!!! One of the things I did with mine was to put only 2 windows in each “arch” opening. That way I could make the windows go further. They’re pretty expensive and I’m using several hundred!

Sweet, I like the one window idea. I also tinkered with the back of the building as I'm not going to do a wrap around. 

My older BIG grand emporium was a large corner, but after a while I just didn’t like it anymore. That’s when I got the idea for it to be an entire city block.

I just added some pictures to my Instagram of how mine looked as a large corner.

6 hours ago, Boettner Builds said:

My older BIG grand emporium was a large corner, but after a while I just didn’t like it anymore. That’s when I got the idea for it to be an entire city block.

I just added some pictures to my Instagram of how mine looked as a large corner.

Yeah, at that point your GE was too big to be a corner building. I can't wait to get home and knock out the base floor. Thank you again for the pictures. Your city block is what 96x64? 

Here is the first floor, I'm going to move the back windows and center the columns. I may also have to remove the back door. 

First floor GE XXXL

TinCan, your Grand Emporium is magnificent. Did you only use bricks from 10211 sets ? I was planning to stack many of them (say 4). It seems there are quite a few more in your setup.