curtisrlee

The Trail of Candy

th_thindexedgif.gif 100c

OK, Here is my PTV 2 Entry, I'm 99.99% sure I won't win :pir-hmpf_bad:

BTW I changed the apples to candy :pir-tongue:

Once when Captain Brickbeard was tired of plundering, He met up with the Governor and they signed a treaty and became friends. But after lots of fancy parties at the Governor's Mansion, Brickbeard got tired of not doing any thing "fun", so one day he set up a trail of candy (the Governor's favorite food) into the forest. At the end of the trail, Brickbeard hid in a barrel, waiting to jump out and scare the governer once he got to the end of the candy trail.

dsc00086.jpg

dsc00087.jpg

dsc00084.jpg

Governor: "I Love Candy!!!"

dsc00089.jpg

Captain Brickbeard: "Hurry up, I gotta go pee so badly!!!

dsc00088.jpg

Look at my awesome plants :pir-tongue:

dsc00091.jpg

Let me know what you scallywags think :jollyroger:

Edited by SlyOwl

Well, I've got good news and I've got bad news. The good news is, based on your first sentence, I highly suspect that you're psychic :pir_laugh2: (kidding)

The bad news is, this needs a little work. There are some good things about it. I like how the Admiral is blissfully unaware that there is a giant pirate hat sticking out of the barrel in front of him, and the basic idea is... fine, although a little bit malevolent for the new rules. If I were to change one thing immediately, I would change the way the parrot is situated. Since a flower (no matter how big and hokey) couldn't hold up a piece of wood with a parrot on it, I'm left to assume that there is a high-pressure geyser of either blood or wine shooting up out of the ground, upon which the parrot is borne aloft :pir_wacko::pir_laugh2:

There isn't much you can do with a small entry, so basically my advice is to change the plants, and maybe add a rock and add some slope to the ground. Also, if you can find any real red apple pieces, I would use a couple of them instead of the pieces you have now. Because even though they're completely unrealistically sized, they would add to the clarity of the scene and also to the cartoony look of it.

And, hey, if you lose, you can always point to the top of the post and say, "look, I'm psychic!"

If I were to change one thing immediately, I would change the way the parrot is situated. Since a flower (no matter how big and hokey) couldn't hold up a piece of wood with a parrot on it...

... and maybe add a rock and add some slope to the ground.

I changed the flower the parrot was sitting on into a rock and put the parrot on there instead

you need to resize those pictures.

Other than that, It's a quaint little MoC.

Yeah, I resized them

Edited by curtisrlee

I would think he would be suspicious of the apples in a line, but governors were kinda dumb back then.

Anyway, nice MOC, and I like the caption of Brickbeard. :P

"And really bad eggs..."

At first glance, this one is pretty reminiscent of some other entries in this year's PTV II Small Division. I would recommend choosing an element to really work on and help the whole MOC stand out - whether that be the barrel or the apples, it's your call. That would also help make the concept a bit more believable - because while it is sort of funny, I feel you could/ should add something more to it. The minifig-in-barrel idea is always fun (especially if you know who needs to win in order to come out :pir-tongue: ), but here it just looks too obvious. You could have used a lid on that cask and had the Captain peak out of it, instead of being covered by the ever-so-apparent pirate hat.

In order to improve this MOC, I also feel you should focus on the (currently non-existent) pathway through the garden and the vegetation. Since you're doing a small MOC, I'd suggest trying to create a believable scenery, even if you decide against creating a pathway - having good-looking plants would go a long way to livening this up. The way it looks now, with those two plates in different green, it's just not very realistic - or comic-like either. As to the apples themselves - you could have the governor have a change of heart and turn green apples into his favourites. That way you'd be able to use actual apples instead of the red 1x1 round plates - which I never would have thought represent apples if I hadn't read your description. Adding an apple tree would also vastly improve the scenery there, while providing the Captain with a nice spot in the shadows where he could lurk inside his barrel (while trying not to pee in his pants :pir_laugh2: )

Now, my biggest criticism - the "well, I'm sure I won't win" line. I've heard people say that way too often and I won't go into just how I feel about it, but let me tell you this my friend - if you've decided to participate, then you might as well enjoy it and give it your best shot! Bashing your own MOC won't get you far, and I feel that anybody has the creative potential within them to come up with something perfect. This one is not a bad entry and it could yet get better, so don't belittle your work. Besides, this is LEGO and having fun is what it's all about - you've obviously had fun thinking of the concept and that turns it into a winner straight away :pir-wink:

Edited by TheOtters

I also think that adding the tree and real apples would improve this MOC very much. It would be great for the captain, too. Scenery is a little bit too simple.But the idea and appearance is very funny to me!

Interesting MOC you have. I like the concept but there is just too much color. The use of real apples would also have been more appealing. If there was no explanation I would have thought he was picking up candy or something. If you replaced some of the other "bright" colors with more dark greens and other vegetation colors it would make your "apples" stand out more. This would bring more attention to the center of your MOC where the action is. I think the build is right and it looks good but the color choice needs to be changed.

Good job.

-martinsuper

I'm not going to comment on the MOC, I'm going to comment on what you said in the first post, about not being able to win. Point one, you should have fun entering this competition, not everything is about winning. And point two if you listen to the advice people give you, then you'd might make a shot at winning!

~Badboy

You've made some veeery subtle changes to this entry :pir-wink: , but I still think this one needs some more work.

For starters, replacing "apples" with "candy" and just going along with it doesn't seem to be the best idea to me. Besides, using candy to lure that Governor just looks a bit too... how to say... childish & unrealistic. But then again most of this year's entries are unrealistic and that's the good thing about them, so as long as you're happy with the idea, you should go with it.

However, those red 1x1 round plates are supposed to be the focal point of this MOC - seeing as they are the actual trail - regardless whether it's a trail of candy or apples. So instead of using simple pieces which can't be defined as anything specific at first sight, I'd definitely suggest replacing those - now that the captain is not into apples anymore, that idea about using actula apples is void, but you could still try out some different and more "rare" pieces to find out the ones that look really well there. "Candy", per se, has nothing generic about it and could be anything - from sugar sticks to little pieces of packaged chocolates, so why not experiment a bit there? Apples or candy, those 1x1 round pieces just don't add anything to this MOC...

:pir_laugh2:

I love it, so clever, you pirate MOC'rs are some of the most clever people I sem to come across.

I love it!!

Oh, piece a candy........oh, piece of candy.......oh, piece of candy....

Reminds me of an episode of Family Guy. Very nice idea. Most of the suggestions for improvement have been made, good luck!

Clever idea. I can only imagine a Governor who follows candy down a path.

I do feel that the grass shouldn't have any studs especially since they are so apparent and focused on in this creation. All the flowers and plants add loads of detail, but the lack of consistency (different flower with each plant) is a little off-setting to me. The rocks could be made a little more apparent maybe with a few more to define them.

Great entry, I love it. :pir_laugh2:

Just looking at that amazing MOC, I had a vivid picture of the Governor's face when BrickBeard jumped from the barrel. However, I'd have thought tempers would be fraught from that point on. A very good MOC though, but the closest point to the camera, with the parrot on a rock, is a little blurry. Good, though! :thumbup:

If you can't change the MOC, change the story! I think its much better as candy as well! Reminds me more of E.T.!

-martinsuper