BrickPerfection

WIP: Superbe, a French 80 gun Ship of the Line

Maybe adding a 1 plate thick red strip in the top black to break it up a bit would add something.

I tried it, imo the black line isn't thick enough for that. But the Achille will feature such a red line. :thumbup:

Are you planning on using some other colour for ornaments and such?

White for all ornaments like on the Triomphant which can be seen in the Musée de la Marine in Paris:

Triomphant_mp3h9394.jpg

There'll be ornaments on the bow (white headrails), but mainly on the stern.

you're moving really fast.

I wish I would. Currently I'm spending much time working on the Achille. She's almost finished; there'll be a major update in a few hours.

Unfortunately I'm having some trouble building the upper gundeck on this one :pir-angry:

Are you going to use flextubes to fill up the slits inbetween the bricks of the hull?

Unfortunately not. I really like 3mm tubes, but they're too thick for that. Also I wouldn't know how to attach them there. Maybe I'll use them for the galleries. Any help on how to attach them into the slits is really appreciated :pir-classic:

I'm not sure were you are heading with the 80% rule?

3 Reasons:

-saving money (80% means roughly 60% of the parts you would need at 1:42)

-reducing weight and dimensions for better handling: I still want to be able to transport this ship easily. It also needs to fit onto a shelf in my room where there is only 176cm space. At 1:42, the hull alone would measure 150cm, not even to mention the bowsprit.

-using 2x2 gunports: 3x3 is way heavier to build and almost impossible to get decently smooth, stable and still functional, not even to mention the interior.

Besides, I am not sure Lego ever cared about making things to scale anyway!

My thoughts exactly.

Greeny is an excellent MOCer so I would really consider his input.

His comment alone almost made me rebuild the entire hull because of the colurscheme :pir_laugh2:.

I think his taste is a little bit different from mine.

Good luck!!

Thanks!

Best Regards

Perfectionist

Edited by Perfectionist

You might want to change that figurehead's pitchfork for one of these beauties?

That's actually a very nice idea! :thumbup:

Although I ordered the pitchfork for 6$ at BL, I'll probably get the one from Brickforge at some point the pearl gold things on the arms also look rather nice to me though I don't really like the tiny crown which is in the hair or the blue mermaid part.

Thanks to you, Mr Tiber.

Best Regards

Perfectionist

Your project is very impressive of course, but I can't imagine what exhausting it might be according to the number of parts. The blocks architecture looks quite complex and I hope it won't be too hard to add the decks. Your creations are very original, I suppose that this ship will be entirely tiled to, it will be great, and very tall, majestic when I imagine it with the masts and the whole hull. I'm a bit curious ; how many red curved slopes did you need to build the entire first step of the hull ? This a perfect idea, it gives to your ship a massive and menacing aspect, and overall it doesn't force you to build a bricked hull that would be excessively pixelized :thumbup:

The colour scheme is very nice, it seems the red has a brown reflect thanks to the angle of the black stripes. However, I'm just fascinated when I look back at yours first pictures, the general looking and overall the curved gradation of the thickness of the hull is very impressive, she looks "fat" (pics 1&3) and it is very realistic ! The interior is as meticulous as what we used to see on the Achille and I hope that there will be a modular structure that will allow us to open your ship to make the minifigs travel as they want :pir-wub: I also wanted to congraculate you for the wonderful bow that you showed in the first pictures, it has no pixel and is very well cared for such a scale, because what I was affraid of was to see a bricked-hull not very esthetic (for exemple your 2004-2005 ship which seemed to be a bit one baroque with her size, bizarre)...

Well, I'm very happy to discover your very impressive works, and I won't miss the next steps, hoping to find back your tubed-headrails and a gigantic result !

Edited by Ingmar

For all your arguments about scale, check out My post on the matter

IMO the smoothness of the bow makes it seem almost like its not made of lego. Not sure if that's good or bad, i'm just used to seeing notsosmooth hulls.

The rudder looks kinda funny, and I don't think it needs so much intricacy, and might look better in black.

But.............. Everything else looks great! It's always tough to imply much detail on such a large ship, but your doing great so far! keep it up!

:pir_yoda:

Edited by the_green_avenger

Are there any updates on this beauty?

I moved the entire ship down into the garage because i lacked space in my room. Because of the winter i havent worked all too much on it, but i improved the colourscheme a bit and partly build the upper gundeck.

However I will soon start all over on this project, so everything will be scrapped and rebuild soon.

Look here please :pir-wink:

EDIT: here are some last pictures.

p1040816.jpg

p1040818.jpg

p1040825.jpg

p1040827.jpg

p1040832.jpg

Regards

Perfectionist

Edited by Perfectionist

Looks promising, it shapes is really ace, and I love the colours scheme, too sad you'll destroy it, will it looks almost the same ?

Edited by Guss

Incredible. :pir-oh3: I cannot wait until this ship is finnished. So far you have done it just perfect perfectionist. Really awsome ship. :pir-sweet: I only wish I had the resources to build one myself. :pir-hmpf_bad:

Edited by Jack Bricker