BrickPerfection

WIP: Superbe, a French 80 gun Ship of the Line

I originally planned to submit this to PTVII, but progress has been slow, also because of the time I spent building on the Achille. During the build of the Achille however I experienced how important constructive feedback can be as it pushed that vessel far above what it was initially supposed to be (a cheap platform to experiment with techniques for the Superbe).

p1030876s.jpg

p1030844s.jpg

p1030834s.jpg

p1030835s.jpg

p1030906s.jpg

p1030896s.jpg

p1030889s.jpg

The figurehead; Neptune, god of the 7 seas:

p1040285s.jpg

The configuration will be as followed:

32 x 36pdr long guns

p1040288s.jpg

32 x 24pdr long guns

p1040289s.jpg

16 x 12pdr long guns

p1040291s.jpg

I still hope to submit this vessel as a ship "in ordinary" to PTVII, but it has become relatively unlikely regarding the time that's left.

I have not made any significant progress here the last 2 weeks :pir-cry_sad:

Feedback on the construction is more than welcome! :pir-classic:

Perfectionist

Very nicely done! I agree, that Neptune just gives me a look that screams "I may be old, but I'll still whup yer megablocks, boyo!"

Excellent progress; I can't wait to see the finished ship. My one qualm is that your 36 pounders and 24 pounders are too similar; it took me a few minutes to see the difference (the added two by four plate above the wheels). Perhaps we can see a tad more embellishment (so to say) on the 36 pounders (i.e. some gold leaf, etc?) Perhaps a bit far-fetched, but, IMHO, a good distinction to make.

Good work so far. :thumbup:

Excellent progress; I can't wait to see the finished ship. My one qualm is that your 36 pounders and 24 pounders are too similar; it took me a few minutes to see the difference (the added two by four plate above the wheels). Perhaps we can see a tad more embellishment (so to say) on the 36 pounders (i.e. some gold leaf, etc?) Perhaps a bit far-fetched, but, IMHO, a good distinction to make.

I second that. Even if you just replaced the red plate with a black one, at least it would clarify that they are different.

Anyway, great to see another minifig ship in the works, and I look foward to seeing her complete. Oh, this has been frontpaged too. :pir-wink:

This is a really great ship! The proportions are perfect, and the shape is really nice. I would have reversed the color scheme, but I realise that not everyone has that many black pieces. How many guns will she have?

my one qualm is that your 36 pounders and 24 pounders are too similar; it took me a few minutes to see the difference (the added two by four plate above the wheels). Perhaps we can see a tad more embellishment (so to say) on the 36 pounders.

Or, perhaps, enlarge or enlongate the base, or make it brick-built. That way, it will appear to be larger, and therefore more powerful.

Good luck on this project!

Ok, let me reveal some more details about the beginnings of ths project: actual construction started on September 14, 2009;

however planning the design and ordering parts took place from mid - July onwards.

p1030783s.jpg

How the bow is constructed using SNOT round bricks and hinges. The gundeck lenght back then was 112cm. It is 116cm now.

The maximum width is 29cm, giving a very fortunate length/width ratio of just about 4.

Both the tumblehome and the ship's curve are minimal as typical for french warships designs of the late 18th century.

p1030789s.jpg

Note that this isn't the first ship I build at this scale:

p1030662s.jpg

This vessel was constructed 2004-2005; construction took 7months and only used parts from the local Lego store and from my collection since I didn't know about BL back then.

It was taken apart on August 13, 2009 when I have started on the "Superbe".

p1030621s.jpg

I would have reversed the color scheme, but I realise that not everyone has that many black pieces. How many guns will she have?

80 guns. It sais so in the title. :pir-wink:

The historically inverted cholourscheme has been chosen as a result of prototype work where i compared all possible red/black cholourschemes. This one looked best and everyone i asked seconed that.

90% of the parts used have been ordered only for this ship, so it had nothing to do with a shortness of black parts. Too much black imo doesn't look all too good in Lego.

Which version do you guys like best?

36pdr:

p1040303s.jpg

24pdr:

p1040305s.jpg

Edited by Perfectionist

80 guns. It sais so in the title. :pir-wink:

*Thwacks head*

The historically inverted cholourscheme has been chosen as a result of prototype work where i compared all possible red/black cholourschemes. This one looked best and everyone i asked seconed that.

I see. It does look good, and very striking.

90% of the parts used have been ordered only for this ship, so it had nothing to do with a shortness of black parts. Too much black imo doesn't look all too good in Lego.

I understand what you're saying, and I guess it's a matter of opinion.

Which version do you guys like best?

For the 36 pounder, definitely the enlongated one with a gunmetal barrel.

Do you think that you could show us a broadside picture? Thanks.

For the 36 pounder, definitely the enlongated one with a gunmetal barrel.

Ditto. Now she'll be perfect. :pir-wub: (at least when you finish her. :pir-tongue:)

Looks like an interesting technique to make a ship, i'm looking forward to see how it will work out in the end.

Why do you use red for it though, rown or black would look nicer i think and perhaps a different colour just under the waterline like white perhaps.

I'm afraid that in this scheme it might turn out a little boring.

I hate to burst your bubble, but minifig scale is about 1:39, a minifig would then be 1.7 meters long.

I like the extended carriage with the extra plate under it the best, i'll be making them like that for the Prince Willim as well.

And i am really digging the gunmetal barrels.

Just my 2 cents, keep it up mate! :thumbup:

Great build so far! I will definitely follow your build, looks like you're progressing really fast. For the biggest canon design, I'd definitely take a version with a long base. Are you going to make all your canons (the 36p and the 24p) the same color: either 'metal' or gray?

Oh, this has been frontpaged too. :pir-wink:

Arr, you misspelled the ships name on the frontpage! It's "Superbe", not "Supurbe"! :pir-cry_sad:

Looks like an interesting technique to make a ship, i'm looking forward to see how it will work out in the end.

The hull is ultra-smooth; you can slide along it with your hand... :pir-classic:

Why do you use red for it though, rown or black would look nicer i think and perhaps a different colour just under the waterline like white perhaps.

To be honest I must say that I did have some doubts about the cholourscheme the past few weeks which is one reason why i made little progress.

Initially it looked good when I built the prototype (I'll soon post a picture of it when I have time) and as I said already to Admiral M, all guys that I showed the prototype prefered this scheme to a black hull.

But it's a hard decision to order bricks for 200 Euros or so and rebuild it all in black with red stripes. Dunno if making the curved slopes on the hull in white can look good there; they'll be 3 studs high snoted which might turn out too much.

Following the comments of Admiral M and Captain Green Hair, I'm seriously thinking about changing the cholourscheme now.

I hate to burst your bubble, but minifig scale is about 1:39, a minifig would then be 1.7 meters long.

There's no bubble! One minifig is exactly 4 centimeters long; 4,2 centimeters with hair. According to my calculations it would be 176 cm high at 1:42; 1:52 is exactly 80% of that. If it were 1:42 I would have called it "true minifig scale", but 80% of that is still "minifig scale", isn't it?

Btw, how do you get your 170cm at 1:39? I get 163,8cm :pir-tongue:

Are you going to make all your canons (the 36p and the 24p) the same color: either 'metal' or gray?

All versions are possible: metal versions for the 24pdr and grey for the 36pdr, all metal, all grey or metal for the 36pdr and grey for the 24pdr. But I'll guess it'll be all metal.

Edited by Perfectionist

I really like how your technique is giving the ship it's form. It looks very smooth indeed.

Like Captain Greenhair I'm not sure about the colourscheme you used though.

Have you tried this as a prototype?

image006.jpg

It's an old version of my frigate. I think this is the best-looking colourscheme you can achieve with red and black but that is only my opinion of course.

Another thing is that I also think you're ship might be too small. I'm saying this because I'm building a frigate (also in 1:39) of which the hull itself is longer than your ship already. And I know my calculations are correct because I calculated them from original plans. At least I hope they are correct :pir-tongue:

Those are my 2 main concerns.

I'm looking forward to seeing a massive ship of the line added to the bleucoat minifig scale fleet. It was getting a little lonely out here :pir-tongue:

Keep up the good work Perfectionist :thumbup:

Errorist

Edited by Errorist

Arr, you misspelled the ships name on the frontpage! It's "Superbe", not "Supurbe"! :pir-cry_sad:

Eeeep, sorry about that! Still, 175 posts out of 176 ain't bad? :pir_laugh2:

Thanks for pointing it out, all fixed now. :pir-wink:

Btw, how do you get your 170cm at 1:39? I get 163,8cm :pir-tongue:

Back of my head, it's been a while since i made up the scale for the Prince Willim. :pir_laugh2:

It's an old version of my frigate. I think this is the best-looking colourscheme you can achieve with red and blue but that is only my opinion of course.

Don't you mean red an black?

Stop confuzing our new members! :pir-tongue:

Don't you mean red an black?

Stop confuzing our new members! :pir-tongue:

Woops :pir-tongue:

Fixed it! No more confusion for the new members :pir_laugh2:

Ack, so many great ship builds going on.

The frame for thsi is looking great. ANother ship that doesn't use the traditional LEGO hull pieces.

I can't wait to see more progress pics. The size, it's just huge!!

Seeing your prototype the colour scheme looks pretty good! :thumbup:

Maybe adding a 1 plate thick red strip in the top black to break it up a bit would add something.

Are you planning on using some other colour for ornaments and such?

Ok, here's my prototype showing what the broadside of this creation will look like.

p1040439s.jpg

If you ask me, I think it's awesome.

Agreed. If I had seen all 3 decks, I wouldn't have complained. That looks amazing. Keep this project up, you're moving really fast.

Interesting hull technique. :pir-classic:

It will be interesting to follow this project.

Are you going to use flextubes to fill up the slits inbetween the bricks of the hull?

As to minifig scale discussion:

In scale 1:39 (or 1:38), an English foot is roughly equal to one stud, which is a practical building scale.

And the height of the minifigs is reasonably accurate for the average heigt of the time.

A minifig with standard headgear is around 5.5 studs high: 5.5x30.48 = 168cm.

Or around 4.45 cm: 4.45x39= 174 cm. So both come close to 1.70m, while alowing for a practical building scale.

4.45x52=231 cm which is quite large for a sailor back in the day.

I'm not sure were you are heading with the 80% rule?

Kind regards,

Teddy

I am not sure 1 stud = 1 foot is quite accurate- it seems to me that it should be a little more than a foot per stud- but like Teddy said 1 stud = 1 foot is a very practical scale. Besides, I am not sure Lego ever cared about making things to scale anyway!

As for the ship- I like the curved bottom- it looks like the plan is to build only above the waterline (no complaints here) though I wonder if it is a bit too high out of the water. Ships of the line were heavy the lowest deck was much closer to the water than other ships. Nothing major- just something to consider.

I do like this color scheme and I think it works with the stripes as you have done it. Greenhair might be onto something by suggesting adding something to break up the upper black portion to be more ornate. Greeny is an excellent MOCer so I would really consider his input.

I have found it very difficul to build ships with nice curves, so I will be interested to see how yours turns out- looks promising so far.

Good luck!!