Sign in to follow this  
catbricks

MOD: 10199x2 + 2 PaB cups

Here's my first modular moc/mod to come to more-or-less completion, although I still have some work to do on the second floor, and I might still decide to rip it apart and mirror the lower floor.... the joys of LEGO - it's never really final! It still amazes me how many more bricks are required for modular buildings than classic!

Tiling's a bit funky - I blame the 3yo KFOL who helped.

post-6728-1256172160.jpgpost-6728-1256172441.jpg

Edited by catbricks

Nice adaptation! I think the white window frames work well on that second storey, and it fits as a smaller adjunct to the larger official Modular buildings.

I so miss the lovely chimney of the original :wink:

Thanks! :) I like your MM-TS mash-up as well!

I so miss the lovely chimney of the original :wink:

Yeah, I actually have the chimney built on the ground floor, but haven't quite managed to get it extended to where you can see it above the roof line. It got tricky.. I'm considering a rebuild to put it at the back corner where it'd be at least partially visible from street. Expanding the building made the roofing issue with having a chimney more complex than I'd anticipated.

Oh my! This is wonderful! My favourite MOC of the year! Stop making me want this set! :cry_sad: As Svelte said, the 2nd floor windows look really good. :thumbup:

Wow, that looks awesome - just like those ones I see on TV at this time of year!

I like the "wooden" feeling to it. It makes the toy shop seem so warm and welcoming!

Did you change the interior in any way? If so, I would love to see it.

Wow, this is awesome! The way that it's slightly smaller than the rest of the buildings reminds me of the house in Stuart Little, or, more appropriately, Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium. Great job!

Wow, that looks awesome - just like those ones I see on TV at this time of year!

I like the "wooden" feeling to it. It makes the toy shop seem so warm and welcoming!

Did you change the interior in any way? If so, I would love to see it.

Thanks!

I was really lucky to find those brown pillars and 1x2's and 1x4's at the Charlotte PaB last week. And a big pile of grey 1x4 and some tan panels, that you can't see, on the back side. I'm still going to need a BL order to finish off some remaining odds and ends.

It's pretty similar (downstairs) to the original, although larger, obviously. I need to find some more micro build ideas (anyone?) for more toys - still have a few spots empty. The interior photos I have aren't coming out very well, so I haven't posted them yet. (But I will, I just need more light first!)

That really does look Awesome :classic:

I'm wondering if it may pair up better with the Cafe Corner, since the color scheme is similar, and the CC is slightly shorter

Great job! I agree with Svelte that you should try to incorporate the chimney of the original. In that way you would capture all the essential elements of the original.

Awww, that is adorable :wub: . Just as I was clicking on this thread some Christmas Carols started on my iTunes.

It has such a warm cosy, Christmas feel and suits perfectly between the other Modular buildings. I want to go there to buy my presents this year. :wink:

It's nice to see that Fabuland arch that I love used again.

That is a really nice idea for a Modular Christmas shop, well done! It could do with a chimney as well. Keep up the creative work.

Very nice. If I had a chance to see this when was a kid, when I was MOCing buildings all day long it would have even greater impact on me.

I like it very much!

That is precisely what I'm planning to do to our Toy Store set once it arrives! catbricks, it really is a wonderful mod and brings so much life to the whole structure! I particularly love the combination of windows you've used on the second floor - simple, yet absolutely delightful!

Is it time to start playing all the Christmas songs yet? I'm holding back a few more weeks, but I really can't wait for Christmas and New Year to finally come this year... Guess I just want 2009 to finally end. Oh but anyway, enough of my moaning - catbricks, I love this one and actually seeing it alongside the GG and CC has given me quite a few thoughts about where I'd fit it in our city! Yay!

Impressive MOD, really :thumbup: You did a very "credible" modular building. It reminds me some typical "Christmas" shops (sorry I don't remember the actual name :grin:) I visited in Germany some years ago. Nice job! :wink:

Very nice MOD, when I first saw the 10199 I did not see the integration in my layout yet, but seeing this mod I see the great possibilities.

Very nicely done :thumbup:

Excellently done. This set looks wonderful all grown up! It looks great along side the other modular buildings. I did a similar thing I while back with the Town Hall from the Town plan set. It fun to expand the smaller buildings to the CC standard scale.

What did the PaB parts cost you?
How many additional bricks did you have to purchase?

I had the attic windows from a BL order (they were cheap and looked vaguely useful). I had the baseplate and the large black & white plates for the floor of the upper levels. I had various (some old and ugly) white brick around for the attic tower. I had those large white windows from the windows service pack ($13, but I don't think I'd spend the money on it again, lots of useless parts). Some of the small windows were from the same service pack, the rest were scavenged from an 80's era fire station. (The tabs are hidden on the inside.)

I ordered the dark bley tiles from PaB online. That's maybe $5-8 in tiles? (Didn't count 'em.)

The rest came from two large PaB cups ($15 ea) from the Charlotte LEGO store, including stairs, those brown columns, and a huge pile of 1x2 and 1x4 brick in grey and brown, plus a bunch of tan panels for the hidden sides not visible in the photos. [i got a bunch of other stuff in those cups that I did not use in the moc as well. So maybe call that one cup's worth?] And I pulled various other small bits out of misc 80's vintage stuff I had sitting around.

And of course, you're looking at TWO 10199 sets.

So total cost? Not much different from a modular set, although now I have a big pile of green plate since I didn't build the second tree, and of course I have a whole second set of minifigs, too. And it was fun. :)

I'm still somewhat stunned by how many bricks building to the modular standard actually takes! I thought I was getting enough grey brick in my PaB cups to finish my motorcycle moc, and I ended up with barely enough for THIS moc.

Excellently done. This set looks wonderful all grown up! It looks great along side the other modular buildings. I did a similar thing I while back with the Town Hall from the Town plan set. It fun to expand the smaller buildings to the CC standard scale.

Pictures/link please? (I've been thinking about doing something similar, but I'd need a big pile of brick, there's so little in the town plan set, and buying two of THEM seems a bit daunting on the wallet.)

Edited by catbricks

post-6728-1256172160.jpgpost-6728-1256172441.jpg

I knew it would only be a matter of time till someone posted a modular version of this.

And I'm glad you did. :)

It really is something. One more level with those full-height white windows, and I think we got a winner.

The sloping roof might appear inconsistent besides other modular buildings though, but there's nothing that can't be fixed.

Good job!

Splendid idea and good adaptation of the Winter Toy Shop. It looks incredibly nice next to the Green Grocer. Leaving a pedestrian area between the Toy Shop and Cafe Corner to put the Christmas tree there is also a formidable idea. Everything looks very nice.

Edited by legotrainfan

I had the attic windows from a BL order (they were cheap and looked vaguely useful). I had the baseplate and the large black & white plates for the floor of the upper levels. I had various (some old and ugly) white brick around for the attic tower. I had those large white windows from the windows service pack ($13, but I don't think I'd spend the money on it again, lots of useless parts). Some of the small windows were from the same service pack, the rest were scavenged from an 80's era fire station. (The tabs are hidden on the inside.)

I ordered the dark bley tiles from PaB online. That's maybe $5-8 in tiles? (Didn't count 'em.)

The rest came from two large PaB cups ($15 ea) from the Charlotte LEGO store, including stairs, those brown columns, and a huge pile of 1x2 and 1x4 brick in grey and brown, plus a bunch of tan panels for the hidden sides not visible in the photos. [i got a bunch of other stuff in those cups that I did not use in the moc as well. So maybe call that one cup's worth?] And I pulled various other small bits out of misc 80's vintage stuff I had sitting around.

And of course, you're looking at TWO 10199 sets.

So total cost? Not much different from a modular set, although now I have a big pile of green plate since I didn't build the second tree, and of course I have a whole second set of minifigs, too. And it was fun. :)

I'm still somewhat stunned by how many bricks building to the modular standard actually takes! I thought I was getting enough grey brick in my PaB cups to finish my motorcycle moc, and I ended up with barely enough for THIS moc.

Pictures/link please? (I've been thinking about doing something similar, but I'd need a big pile of brick, there's so little in the town plan set, and buying two of THEM seems a bit daunting on the wallet.)

Thx so much for the run down! I'm horrible at guaging how many bicks are needed for any creation....... I better save up some dough.

Thx so much for the run down! I'm horrible at guaging how many bicks are needed for any creation....... I better save up some dough.

So am I. I assume we'll both get better at it. :)

Don't forget a whole bunch of extra tile and plate in order to make the building modular, as well....