1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

indexed.gif

gallery_6705_157_17796.png

Jabba's Sail barge, or my final frontier. This set was one that I knew for sure I had to get, simply because of the large minifig count as well the variety of minifigs. Lando, Han, Luke, flesh bikini Leia, and Jabba. Every one is a total success. Not to mention the 2 ships you get and the fun little sarlac pit. I was lucky enough to come out of my LEGO dark age right as this set was available, so I picked this up at retail, and I'm happy I did. This set is near and dear to me because it is the first "large" set that I bought after getting back into LEGO's, it was almost like an acomplishment.

4026296096_c7643cc800_o.jpg

BASIC INFORMATION:

Set Name: Jabba's Sail Barge

Set Number: 6210

Number of Pieces: 781 LEGO box, 781 Peeron, 747 Bricklink, 781 Brickset

Minifigs: 8

Price: $74.99 USD, £59.99 UK

Theme: Star Wars

Year Released: 2006

RESOURCES:

3967293470_6512526b01_o.png

3966515209_20775f26c6_t.jpg

3967301664_1043f61dae_t.jpg

3966535017_39b869c30d_o.jpg (high res pics available here, also by clicking the images in the review)

databank_profile.png

THE REVIEW:

The Box

Front:

4016980845_77c9dec458_o.jpg

The box, although hard to see, has some raised areas to add to the detailing of the box. It's hard to explain but imagine running your fingers across the top of the box and feeling subtle raises every now and then, kind of like the ship is protruding from the box, but just slightly. The box is also large, comparable in size to the Imperial Star Destroyer which has almost double the piece count.

Side:

4017761394_6641139c76_o.jpg

Its a good thing this box is so big since almost the entire side of the box is full of minifigs, a nice selection too. My personal favorite is Princess Leia :wub:

Back:

4016998313_35fcee507e_o.jpg

The amount of real estate on the back of this box is immense. LEGO recognizes this as they have a bunch of features from the set, two alternate models, as well as advertising for some different sets from the same release. This really makes me wonder how much it costs them to print these pretty boxes?

Instructions

Front:

4016998451_edbd90f605_o.jpg

Surprisingly this instruction booklet is smaller in size than the Imperial Landing Craft set I just reviewed. It is rather thick, but I found it odd that LEGO would make it in the smaller format. Maybe they spent to much on the box?

Back:

4017761598_773d247a26_o.jpg

If this would have been a larger booklet, I could see the parts list being back here, since it is not, we get advertising for other sets from the same release.

Parts List:

4016998611_3499af2878_o.jpg

You may think this image is a little hard to see, you'd be right. The background they choose is way too dark for the amount of darker bricks that are involved with this set. Never fear, as I have the high res image linked to this smaller one, so click away and get your part numbers.

Random Page:

4017761736_4db7a0c8d1_o.jpg

This page shows how dark the background is compared to the image of the actual ship. In a well lit room it's bearable but personally I think the dark backgrounds need to go.

All Pieces:

4016998845_d34dc71da2_o.jpg

781 pieces, wow, I'm going to need a bigger studio soon!

Random pieces of interest:

4016999027_5f085cf4ca_o.jpg

My wife has previously built this set, and therefore the stickers have already been applied so I have no picture of the sticker sheet, if you'd like to see it, you can follow the bricklink link here. Also no printed pieces so I chose some that I thought were interesting or rare.

Sails:

4017761804_2900353a44_o.jpg

The sails for the sail barge are very similar to the pirate ship sails in material and quality, just a different color and shape of course. I recommend storing them in the instruction booklet when not in use.

Extra Pieces:

4017001041_26373d9326_o.jpg

Jumping forward in time, we find a few leftover pieces that you will most likely find at the end of your build too.

Minifigs

Jabba, R2-D2, and Boba Fett Front:

4018879553_311a7b65b8_o.jpg

Due to Jabba being so big, I broke down the minifigs into two pictures. Here we have Jabba the Hut, R2-D2 in butler form, and good old Boba Fett, but of course without leg or arm printing like seen in the infamous Cloud City set. Boba Fett in my eyes is one of the coolest fig's LEGO has produced, simply because of his awosome jetpack/helmet combo.

Jabba, R2-D2, and Boba Fett Back:

4018879611_3362fa6019_o.jpg

Nothing too special on the back side shot. A nice view of Boba Fett's jet pack, unfortunately no back printing on R2-D2, I am still waiting for that. I'm also waiting for Jabba to go on a diet.

Han Solo, Slave Princess Leia, Gamorrean Guard, Lando Calrissian, and Luke Skywalker Front:

4018879491_342c6791b4_o.jpg

A great selection of minifigs here. Han Solo in his "fresh out of the carbonite look" brings his casual feel to the set. Princess Leia in the sexy metal bikini that any young boy will certainly remember and not to mention in her only flesh appearance in the metal bikini, previous yellow versions are available though. A standard Gamorrean Guard, which has a drop on head much like Chewbacca. Lando Calrissian in his undercover guard outfit, check out that sweet axe. Finally Jedi Luke Skywalker in fine form, with all black and no cape since he is a prisoner for most of this scene. Luke is by far my favorite Jedi that I have, there is something about the all black that makes me think sith.

Han Solo, Slave Princess Leia, Gamorrean Guard, Lando Calrissian, and Luke Skywalker Back:

4019641620_f959a346fa_o.jpg

The backs of these minifigs are all fairly standard, no printing, but we do see the small single stud backpack piece that Leia is wearing, this is where the chain will be attached so she can't escape from the mighty Jabba.

Lando, Lando, Lando:

4016998985_ba8d9a497f_o.jpg

I did my homework on this one. In the previous review from 2006 there were a few requests for a close up of our favorite backstabbing friend Lando, so here he is. What a sweet helmet!

Sail Barge Build Process

Main Step 9:

4017762096_e6bd0aca38_o.jpg

Step 9 shows the beginning of the ship, basically in skeleton form.

Main Step 11:

4016999121_bd8767193f_o.jpg

I specifically choose to show this step since it shows that the bottom of the barge will be easy to slide around on carpet thanks to the smooth round boat stud pieces. I may not be a kid anymore, but I was and I know that this will greatly improve the mobility of this playset, good thinking LEGO.

Main Step 20:

4017762180_97aa8418f1_o.jpg

This step shows some more details as well as the exact position that LEGO recommends you place one piece of Leia's chains. I actually like this because I for one like to build a set once with 100% direction, then after it is all done, I can scrutinize it and customize it.

Main Step 22:

4017762292_8bcccea1f7_o.jpg

Here we have the placement of Jabba, Slave Leia and some odd trinkets that only Jabba would need. There is a closeup of the container with the frog in it at my flickr account. Due to limited space in a single post, this picture didn't make the review, and after taking it and processing it, I wasn't too impressed.

Main Step 28:

4017762404_8e0a9be56e_o.jpg

Step 28 shows a few archways going up as well as the placement of Jabba's favorite food, Chicken drummies. You will also notice the prison cell at the left of the ship. There is one on either side of the ship, but you'll notice I don't pay them much attention, that is because they are so small it is hard to get a fig in there standing upright, and once you do, he's almost impossible to see.

Main Step 35:

4016999561_6b7648ff0d_o.jpg

Second level flooring and some safety railings are the main changes in Step 35. Jabba clearly cares about safety and he couldn't bare to have any workplace accidents. (end sarcasm)

Main Step 38:

4017762636_af779d5cd3_o.jpg

Step 38 is important because it is one of the only times you build on the right side of the ship. Almost every instruction page refers to the left of the ship. Here we are putting on the rear panels of the ship. Note the similar holding cell door, this also folds down like the other side.

Main Step 40:

4017762692_dd015b2c12_o.jpg

The rear paneling is now added to the left side of the ship. Looks pretty good.

Main Step 41:

4017762748_0ca82e9c66_o.jpg

The main doors of the ship are added after quite a few sub-steps that I am leaving out due to the image limitation in posts. The right side gets the same treatment and can be seen at my flickr account if you'd like to see it.

Main Step 43:

4016999955_331b824359_o.jpg

The main gun and R2-D2 are added to the main deck of the sail barge in step 43. A close up individual picture of the gun is available on my flickr account if you'd like to see it.

Completed Sail Barge (left):

4017000597_35690db3cb_o.jpg

The completed sail barge in all it's glory. I jumped forward a few steps but that's so other build shots can be included. If you'd like to see the frame for the sails, they are here, as well as the frames with the sails attached.

Completed Sail Barge (right):

4017000501_1ff20a9b1d_o.jpg

The right side is identical to the left except for the angle of the sails.

Completed Sail Barge (back):

4017000651_120a0e9b46_o.jpg

This shot gives you a good view of the frames for the sails. You will also notice how thin the barge is, this is convenient for sliding it around on the carpet.

Completed Sail Barge (front):

4017763616_e1a1258fe7_o.jpg

Not alot to see here except LEGO's brilliant idea to use Pirate ship hull pieces upside down for the front of the barge. Brilliant!!

Desert Skiff Build

Desert Skiff Step 47-8:

4017763234_d8892a5f06_o.jpg

This first image shows the chassis or main frame part of the desert skiff coming together.

Desert Skiff Step 47-9:

4017763278_372ab2154d_o.jpg

The hideaway plank can be seen here for the first time.

Desert Skiff Step 47-11:

4017763340_6845d89e11_o.jpg

The main flooring is added on top of the hideaway plank, everything is completely hidden. LEGO did a good job designing this if you ask me.

Desert Skiff Step 47-15:

4017000431_72733ae129_o.jpg

With the addition of some safety railing and a few sticker pieces, this skiff is almost ready for some action.

Desert Skiff Complete (plank out):

4017765056_45663724fa_o.jpg

The completed skiff with all the characters needed to re-create some good fun from Return of the Jedi.

Desert Skiff Complete (plank in):

4017764972_2a2baf9979_o.jpg

I'm not sure why Han has that smirk on his face still, Luke could be sleeping with the fishes, in the Sarlacs stomach.

Sarlac Pit build

Sarlac Pit build step 6:

4017000771_376689e3ac_o.jpg

The Sarlac Pit is fairly simple and a quick build. Here is the pit about halfway through the build.

Sarlac Pit complete (mouth open):

4017763760_f3aa0b6b9f_o.jpg

The Sarlac Pit is completed and looks pretty good if you ask me. The teeth on the edges are a great touch and the mouth resembles the beak like mouth of the Sarlac.

Sarlac Pit complete (mouth closed):

4017763828_d6eeec8644_o.jpg

Here is an alternate shot with the mouth more closed showing off the beak like mouth LEGO has fitted the Sarlac with. I kind wish there were tentacles but I'm not sure where I would put them, so I think I am asking for too much.

Complete Set

Skiff and Sarlac

4017763900_08efcf0fc0_o.jpg

It looks like Luke is about to avoid certain death.

Minifig Launcher:

4017001365_bab4994b5d_o.jpg

Oh no! Boba Fett has made his way to the minifig launcher at the front of the ship. I guess that jet pack is not all that reliable.

Minifig Launcher 2:

4017764218_4e39db60bf_o.jpg

By pressing down on the black handle, you can effectively launch Boba Fett off into the Sarlac pit, but between you and me, I couldn't get this to work all that well. Boba seemed to have too good of a grip, and sometimes wouldn't go anywhere.

Windows open

4026296316_67e48806d2_o.jpg

One feature of this set which I think is a little weak is the windows that you can open on either side of the barge. Every window you see open is able to be opened, the others are secured shut. The same goes for the right side of the ship. I kind of think this is only for display purposes because the windows are so small, you can barely see inside, plus with the sides completely folding down (see below) I just don't really see the point. I guess it does stay true to the original design though.

Sail Barge right side open:

4017764044_f04f8e5bc3_o.jpg

With the barge turned around and all the doors open, we can see the backside of Jabba, the stash of blasters, as well as a cell door that can be opened just like the left side.

Close up 1:

4017764654_8617ffef8b_o.jpg

Turns out Boba Fett didn't make it to the Sarlac Pit, he made a detour to hang out with Leia, wouldn't you?

Close up 2:

4017764546_33e06c5710_o.jpg

Luke has been re-joined with his light saber and it looks like he is ready to go to town on Jabba and his minions.

Final:

4017001549_62f1484c92_o.jpg

The complete set all together. I really like this set and all of it's separate parts. Everything works well together and can easily be played with separately.

Totals:

Design: 9/10 The design of this set is great. It looks accurate, it's functional, and offers great playability. LEGO really did a great job of keeping to the original design yet scaling it down to LEGO size. I love how it's playable yet not too big at the same time. The only reason it didn't get a ten is because the set is a little fragile, in fact those pesky sails up top, they love to come off. Even if they don't you can't really play on the upper deck without removing them. A small flaw in such an awesome set, which is why it only got docked one point. Overall I like the design, it was well thought out and even though the sails are a hassle, I really like them, they instantly remind you of the Sail Barge and there is no mistaking it.

Parts: 8/10 Hmm, lots of brown in this set. For overall rarity, I don't think anything is extremely rare, but the pirate ship hull pieces are definitely nice. I think the parts are perfect for making this set, obviously. Since I don't really MOC I can't say what these would be good for, but with any LEGO set, the pieces are always good for something different than they were designed for. Do be honest I never really buy a LEGO set (at least today) for parts, I first look at the figs and then the ship/base or whatever comes with them, if I like the whole package, I'll get it, but the figs are most important to me. As an owner of the original Black seas Barracuda, it is nice to have more boat hull pieces, hell maybe one day I'll do a Pirate ship MOC?

Build: 8/10 This build took me the better end of four hours with pictures. With pictures it was probably more like four and a half. The build is fairly straight forward, I would say easier than my previous review of the Imperial Landing Craft. Although I don't look for ease of build when buying a set, after building a more complicated set, it sure is nice. The barge is sturdy for the most part, except for the sails up top. If I was a kid and wanted to play with this regularly, I'd be removing them and have Boba Fett do a fly by. To say it's a 10/10 build, you would have to change the sails somehow sturdy up the rear of the barge, as those panel pieces have a tendency to fall off if bumped too hard. If I was the type to play, this would get to me, because those things are barely hanging on. I think the only way around that would be to mold new pieces that are more solid and have more studs to connect to the base of the ship. The windows are for show only as they do come on the original barge. IMO they are just useless on the LEGO model, you can barely see in to them, and with the feature of the whole side opening up like a door (I love this), there is really no need. The sarlac pit is simple but cute, I couldn't expect them to have a gigantic one for the amount of stuff you already get. The plank on the skiff is one of my favorite designs that I have seen in a SW LEGO set so far, it is really simple but works perfectly, I don't have the original skiff, but after doing this review, I'm going to go dig up the review so I can compare them, oh here it is. OK, first off Clone O'patra did a great review, but I must say the Skiff in this set is a big improvement over the original, the plank is wider and the overall design is better and just newer, SW LEGO sets seem to get better as the years go on.So I will stay with a 8, as the sails and the rear panels are my only real complaints.

Minifigs: 10/10 I think this selection of minifigs is just awesome. It's nice to get such a variety of minifigs in a single set. I'll be honest, I bought this set for the minifigs. As a collector, I had to have the flesh slave Leia, and it also had Boba Fett who was on my list. A few fig's I didn't specifically buy for but was thrilled to get would be Jabba, Lando, another Han, and of course the ever useful R2. Nothing is duplicated in this set, plus you get some minifig's that don't come around that often. Lando immediately comes to mind as he has only been in one other set (Cloud City) up until the release of the Home One Mon Calamari Star Cruiser. Flesh colored slave Princess Leia makes her only appearance in this set (bingo), although there are previous yellow versions. Even though it wasn't a deal breaker, I'm happy I have a Jedi version of Luke, in fact this is my only one. As a kid he was my hero of course because he was the Jedi. The guard is nice from a collector's standpoint but I don't really like the gigantic body that functions as a head and body. Chewbacca's isn't as large and seems tolerable to me, but this guys is quite large, plus the body is green yet his arms are brown, I thought that looked weird.Overall you get 8 minifigs that are all different and definitely worth getting this set for.

Playability: 8/10 It's fun to play with, and can be played with but you have to be a little careful. All the features are fun enough, but the rear panels being so fragile, and the sails constantly getting in your way kind of lower the overall playability of this set. I do love the doors though, it's kind of like the Imperial Star Destroyer set which allows you to open the entire set for a play land. The sail barge offers close to that kind of playability, but it's much more mobile. I can see myself using this for a Vig whenever I get around to making one. It has space to store minifigs or extra guns and opening parts all over, so it definitely has stuff to do. The inside is a little hard to "play" with but if you are careful, it can be done. The skiff also adds to the playability, but in my eyes is more of a display piece, since you can't really do anything but stand figs on it and go Yay, that looks good. The absence of smooth pieces on the bottom make it less than ideal for sliding around carpet. The sarlac is just a show piece, although I really like how they cleverly designed the mouth so a minifig fits right in.

Price: 10/10 This is one of those weird price ranges that LEGO has seemed to abandon. Right in between the medium and large price range we get the Sail Barge price range. I feel that the amount of fig's and the size of the ships make this a win win on the price. I have no complaints, and truly wish LEGO would bring back this price point. It makes you feel good knowing you bought a bigger set than a $50 set, but doesn't hurt as much as the $100 ones. I for one want LEGO to bring this size set back.

Total: 53/60 Even though the score may not be the highest, I think this is a must own set for any Star Wars fan. I personally display my LEGO's 95% of the time so the playability issues don't really bother me but I felt I needed to factor them into the review. From my own history of playing with LEGO's I can tell you this wouldn't bother you as much as you think after reading my review. A great selection of minifigs and 3 separate builds make this set well worth the money, I for one wish I had bought a couple, maybe to sell, or just for parts. The more I think about it, LEGO couldn't have really released this set without all 3 parts, they all go together. If you had the skiff and sarlac pit alone, that would make sense but just the barge and sarlac, or just the barge and the skiff, would feel a little empty if you ask me. The parts may be a little low for the money, but the quality makes up for it in the end. What you build makes up for it. The set is large enough, and I like all the small trinkets you get, a couple of guns and enough minifigs to play with just one set. This is another set I am happy I was able to buy retail and will never get rid of it. If you can find it anywhere near the retail price, I'd pick it up. It's a fun set with lots of great features, and I recommend it.

I have this set as well. I bought it when it first came out in 2006 for the regular price. I think it was around 80 or 90 dollars. This is an outstading set but I thought the sarlaac was to high and the skiffe to low to the ground comparred to the movie but all around this set is great I agree with the review. Hope in the future you will purchase more star wars sets. I'm a big fan

Picture is not mine don't know whos it is had another but it was too big sorry its only the sarlaac and not from a areal veiw :vader:

Another Fantastic Review Big Cam :thumbup::wub:

I like it how you show pics of it getting built :thumbup:

I wish I had this set now :cry_sad:

Well done!

@ Darth Hawken wow! :cry_happy: thats one AWESOME!!!!! UCS Sarlaac :wub:

CommanderFox

Great review. I actually built this set with my cousin. It was a fun build. My favourite parts are definately Boba and the Skiff :wub: I don't like that the sails come in your way when you're playing on the deck, but that's just a small thing. I also like the kitchen. :tongue::thumbup:

Good times, good times...

found better picture of sarlacc and its by lights :grin::wink:

oh by bad i didn't know the image was so small but sadly I can't make it any bigger sorry :sad:

Awesome review. I missed out on this set when it was in stores but it's definitely on my list to get. It really looks like a fun set.

Thanks Dark Harken for the Sarlacc pics. Once I get this set I'll have to MOC the pit.

Awesome reviewer. Awesome set.

Makes me sad thinking about all those sets I could have gotten at RRP. Now, the cheapest complete one is $120 or so at BrickLink.

Good review,as well as the set-good minifigures,pieces,price and alternative models on the box(2006 was the last year,when alt.models whereprinting on the back of the box :cry_sad: ).This is one of my favourite Star Wars sets.The only problem why i couldn't buy it,that it didn't sell in the Russia :sad:

Your reviews Big Cam......I could read them all day, there A1 :thumbup:

Another beautiful set that I regret not buying :cry_sad: , it had such a great assortment of figs, even though I wish it had another Palace Guard or a Gamorrean Guard :sceptic:

Superb review Big Cam!

One of my favourite sets and for many of the reasons you've talked about. Your pictures are spot-on and present the set in the light it deserves! 2006 was an excellent year for Star Wars LEGO, many of my most beloved sets come from thiat year.

There were only a couple of minor touches I didn't like about Jabba's Sailbarge and quickly modded - I removed the deck catapult, and created the plating along the lower edge with more tiles and modified tiles rather than using the stickers. I also added tentacles to the Sarlacc, and altered the base of the Skiff.

Your reviews Big Cam......I could read them all day, there A1 :thumbup:
Superb review Big Cam!

One of my favourite sets and for many of the reasons you've talked about. Your pictures are spot-on and present the set in the light it deserves! 2006 was an excellent year for Star Wars LEGO, many of my most beloved sets come from thiat year.

Thanks for the compliments guys. I do the reviews for the EB member base.

If you like them and want to join in on the fun, join the reviewers academy and we'll teach you how.

I'm going to focus on teaching for a while but I'll be bringing another review to the SW forum soon enough.

Nice review, thanks.

You have made me move it up the 'rebuild list' after my moving house. My weekend will be busy. :laugh:

Excellent review, no questions left.

Great style, photos... 1a! Best Grade!

Another superb review, Cam - keep them coming !

I've had this set for a while but not built it yet. Looks like I'll have to hurry up and get building !

Cheers,

Dr. D.

Just ordered this set for $160 and can't wait to get it and start building !

Whoa, that's over double the retail price.

I hope my review re-assured you of your purchase.

For some reason a lot of the 2007 sets have gone way up in price compared to their retail values in a short period of time. I expect that from the older sets, but it's pretty surprising to me for sets that have only been off shelves for a couple years now at most.

Very nice review btw! :classic:

I saw this in the Academy. Great review! :thumbup: I really want to get my grubby little mits on one. :devil: You're pictures do justice for the figures detail. It's a great improvement over it's previous review. (hope I'm not offending them) Is the 1X2 light blueish gray plate really an extra? It dpesn't seem to fit. :sceptic:

Is the 1X2 light blueish gray plate really an extra? It dpesn't seem to fit. :sceptic:

It sure is. I took an extensive amount of time building this set to make sure I don't miss anything after seeing a thread a few month back on the guy who needed help finding the 2 1x2 slope pieces. I'm sure it's a possibility that it's not suppose to be extra but I'm 99.9% sure it's an extra.

Thanks for the compliments on the pictures.

This set is great. :cry_happy:

The review too. :thumbup:

:thumbup: Good review outstanding set- only things missing are Chewie and weequay-guard but as always lego is very skimpy what comes to minifigs :hmpf_bad: - so this really was a treasure when i found this :cry_happy: -i just had to buy this- even though i already had Jabba and (yellow) bikini Leia from the Jabba's palace :wink: - it also had many nice little parts and lots of brown a good set... :sweet:

:thumbup: Good review outstanding set- only things missing are Chewie and weequay-guard but as always lego is very skimpy what comes to minifigs :hmpf_bad: - so this really was a treasure when i found this :cry_happy: -i just had to buy this- even though i already had Jabba and (yellow) bikini Leia from the Jabba's palace :wink: - it also had many nice little parts and lots of brown a good set... :sweet:

I think they did pretty good on the minifigs actually, I do agree that Chewie was in the scene and needed. He comes in so many sets that it didn't bother me.

Flesh slave Leia is the deal breaker :wub:

Its also a "USED" set for $160. A new one cost like $220 +shipping. It seems like smaller sets gets double, triple, or even quadriple the retail price. Larger sets don't get that cracy. Usually only double. I totally missed out on this set. It was such great value at retail with so many cool minifigures. I haven't built the sail barge yet but just by looking at the minifigures and the box, i know its an awesome set.

This set looks great! The Jaba figure is especially neat. I don't remember seeing this on the official Lego store and I just double checked. They have it at Amazon.com for $449.90 :sceptic::cry_sad:

Oh my goodness! I just got back into Lego since childhood and as soon as something on the Lego site goes sold out, everywhere else, especially Ebay and Amazon, doubles and triples the prices! These things have a better worth then silver or gold! The value certainly raises a lot faster. I know, I sell silver bullion. I'm apparently in the wrong racket lol.