Shadows

How to Make a Poll

Shadows Presents:

How to Make a Poll

A Step by Step Guide

Note: While the board version has been upgraded since this tutorial was written and the user interface has changed, the procedure of creating a poll and the various options are roughly the same. Just keep in mind that things may look a bit different now. Eventually we hope to update this tutorial with the current graphics! default_satisfied.gif

So, you've just become a Knight and now you want to take advantage of that new rank by creating your first poll, but you don't know how to do it.

Aren't you glad I came along? :wink:

Creating a poll is simple, I'll create one with you, picture by picture!

First, create a new topic. If you don't know how to do this already, I'm not sure how you ever made Knight. :laugh:

Type a title and a message. You do not need to include "POLL" in the title, the forum will do that for you automatically once you add one.

Now press the circled link which reads, "Click Here to Manage This Topic's Poll".

poll01.png

Presto, a new section opens, the section to create a poll. The first thing to add is a title for the poll.

poll02.png

In this case, I'm making a fake poll about equally fake 2010 Licensed Theme sets. Then press the circled link to "Add Poll Question".

poll03.png

Type your first question in the circled box.

poll04.png

Now press "Add Poll Choice" to begin giving people their choices.

poll05.png

Then fill in your first option.

poll06.png

What kind of poll only has one option? Click "Add Poll Choice" again to add another. Continue doing that until you've added all your choices.

poll07.png

Now you have to decide the kind of poll you want, single choice or multiple choice. This box determines that. A checkmark in the box creates a multiple choice poll.

poll08.png

Single choice poll: Everyone gets one choice per question.

poll08b.png

Multiple choice poll: Voters can select several choices. In the sample poll, this is the kind we want.

poll08a.png

Now it's time to finish up, or add another question. To add another question, click "Add Poll Question". If you find that one of your choices needs to be deleted, press the red X that appears next to that choice. If you're done with this poll, click "Close Poll Form".

poll09.png

And that's it, everything returns to normal, but now you have a poll. Submit the topic and wait for the votes to start coming in.

poll10.png

Now you've joined the wonderful world of polls, but remember, not everything needs one, so only use it when appropriate.

Enjoy!

Edited by Fugazi
added note about board upgrade

Thanks, Shadows!

This tutorial is precise and with pictures it is easy to create poll, to newly Knight promoted members!

If you don't know how to do this already, I'm not sure how you ever made Knight. :laugh:

You've posted 500 times, maybe?

Also, those things aren't circled when I try to make a poll :sad::grin:.

This is a great tutorial, Shadows, and I think it'll be very useful. One thing you might want to touch on is topic description, which I realized you've left out. Would it not be useful for newly knighted members to know all the features available to them:wink:?

Great turtle Shadows. Don´t know how anybody can not see how easy this is though.

It is so obvious how it works. But now any lazy person can do it on their own without asking for a Staff to help out :wink:

I'm surprized this was needed. I quess there are a lot of clueless Knights.(not including myself :grin:) Good job on making this. It was rather entertaning too. Edgar Allen Poe? Hello Kitty? Pound Puppies? Smurfs? :laugh: I for one would love to see those promising themes! :tongue:

I'm surprized this was needed. I quess there are a lot of clueless Knights.(not including myself :grin:) Good job on making this. It was rather entertaning too. Edgar Allen Poe? Hello Kitty? Pound Puppies? Smurfs? :laugh: I for one would love to see those promising themes! :tongue:

I was clueless Knight, thank you very much! There, I said it...Now I know how to make a poll :classic:

I was clueless Knight, thank you very much! There, I said it...Now I know how to make a poll :classic:
Don´t be ashamed Milan anybody could have been clueless to this.

I was the one I mentioned who had to ask the staff :wacko:

On 10/20/2009 at 1:42 AM, Shadows said:

Type a title and a message. You do not need to include "POLL" in the title, the forum will do that for you automatically once you add one.

Now press the circled link which reads, "Click Here to Manage This Topic's Poll".

poll01.png

Ya, this interface looks nothing like the current interface for posting new threads (circa 2017).  Can we please have another update to this thread?  I cannot find the 'poll button' in the submission posting interface to save my life (and the search function in my web browser can't find it either).