The name: Shark's Crystal Cave

Theme: Aquazone - Aquasharks

Quantity of elements: 258

Quantity of minifigures: 2

MSRP: $50.00

Peeron.

Brickset.

BrickLink.

The 6190 "Shark's Crystal Cave" is the largest set in Aquasharks subtheme of the Aquazone.

The set consists of two major parts: the underwater structure located on the baseplate and amazingly detailed submarine.

Let's take a closer look at the set.

MINIFIGURES.

The set includes two minifigs. Their outlook is identical except the faces and hands: one hand is replaced with trans-neon green pirate hook - rare element.

131811553.jpg

131811574.jpg

Both divers have black aqualung headgear.

131811572.jpg

Some chrome silver knives and harpoon projectiles, as long as flippers included.

131811563.jpg

131811556.jpg

The lonely, hungry and angry shark.

131811565.jpg

131811567.jpg

The seaweed is made of three elements - the red and green gives it a pretty "underwater" look.

131811569.jpg

131811560.jpg

The main objective of Aquasharks: chrome silver crystals.

131811551.jpg

The set includes two boxes to keep crystals, both have magnet pads attached.

131811549.jpg

THE BASE.

The key element of the underwater "base" is the raised baseplate - this part goes only with this set (and at the BL of course)

The underwater structure is used as kind of submarine bay/pad.

131811495.jpg

131811503.jpg

The stairs is used by the minifigs to get into submarine's cabin.

131811497.jpg

131811499.jpg

And the cage under the pad has enough room to keep the shark (check out the blue BURP!).

131811501.jpg

THE SUBMARINE.

The submarine is the state-of-the-art, it's LEGO's masterpiece.

The front view.

131811525.jpg

The windscreen with "shark" pattern is brilliant!

131811519.jpg

The front cockpit has place for one minifigure.

131811515.jpg

131811517.jpg

There's 2*2 slope brick with printed (!!!) control panel.

131811513.jpg

Flexible manipulators of the sub - it's a pity LEGO has given up producing these parts.

131811527.jpg

One of the "hands" picks the crystals up from the sea-bed...

131811528.jpg

And puts them into container attached to the "hand" with magnet.

131811530.jpg

The tiny underwater scooter goes along with the sub.

131811612.jpg

131811616.jpg

And the scooter is stored in the main compartment in the middle of the submarine's body.

131811620.jpg

131811623.jpg

The trans-neon orange octagons are used to cover the sides of the main compartment.

131811510.jpg

The steering wheels are used as valves to operate the side sections. They can be opened...

131811508.jpg

131811511.jpg

Some accessories attached to the body of the sub give it a very detailed, "real" look!

131811541.jpg

131811548.jpg

131811545.jpg

There's another cabin for the member of the crew in central part of the sub.

131811603.jpg

It's covered with the hinged element.

131811604.jpg

131811601.jpg

And has transparent windows on the sides.

131811605.jpg

Surprize! There's luggage compartment in the tail!

131811478.jpg

It's used to store the crystal containers. One can store one...

131811494.jpg

...or two containers at the same time.

131811487.jpg

131811483.jpg

The tail of the sub has...

131811647.jpg

Two turbines. Is this enough?!

131811645.jpg

The compass is located on the top of the upper propeller coverage. Does anyone cares of the compass here?

131811643.jpg

Trans-neon orange propellers are nice and useful.

131811653.jpg

The bottom of the sub.

131811592.jpg

Let's take a look at the submarine with all it's features!

131811594.jpg

Some nice and easy to use parts in trans-neon orange.

131811608.jpg

Some additional photos from different angles.

131811582.jpg

131811584.jpg

131811586.jpg

131811590.jpg

131811575.jpg

131811579.jpg

CONCLUSION.

Despite of its age - 13 years old - I consider this set to be more beautiful and functional than most current sets. It's marvelous! So many features are made using less than 300 pieces! And you'll never find so many useful pieces in any set - so grab one as soon as you'll have the chance!

This set is for everyone:

- high playability

- lot of useful/rare parts

- the must have for any LEGO collector's shelf display

GriZzliQ & Meloniel for Eurobricks.

Edited by WhiteFang
Indexed

This is a wonderful, yet very strange set. Your review is top notch BTW, you should enter the Academy. :thumbup:

Brilliant review! I'm not a huge fan of the aqua series in general (I've always liked the minifigures though :wub: ) but your review makes me like the theme a bit more. Thanks again for a great review.

This set was always one of my favorites of the aquazone line. This review sure does bring back memories. I always used the center cabin as a prison cell for captive hydronauts. The price is pretty steep $50 for less than 300 pieces, but Lego was more expensive back in the mid 90's comparatively. Lots of unique pieces as was stated above. Great review!

This review is one of the best I have ever seen.

Lots of great pictures, tidy and informative!

Set is excellent, I could not find it here when I was a kid. This review brings it closer to me! Thanks!

This set was always one of my favorites of the aquazone line. This review sure does bring back memories. I always used the center cabin as a prison cell for captive hydronauts. The price is pretty steep $50 for less than 300 pieces, but Lego was more expensive back in the mid 90's comparatively. Lots of unique pieces as was stated above. Great review!

Sorry,I`am new here & what academy you talking about?

Nice review :wub:

Sorry,I`am new here & what academy you talking about?

We have a special reviewers academy for training members into making standout LEGO set reviews. However, you don't need to go there because this review is perfect. As far as I'm concerned you could teach at the academy.

GriZzliQ, your review is great, but your signature is large! (on IE7; Opera tiles pics vertically.)

Nice review :wub:

We have a special reviewers academy for training members into making standout LEGO set reviews. However, you don't need to go there because this review is perfect. As far as I'm concerned you could teach at the academy.

Oh, I`am very glad to hear this) :classic:

I forgot to say, that me and my girlfriend (Meloniel) make rewives together.

The only problem is translating the text fron russian into english(((

Love and enjoyed this review. It's now embedded into our index. :thumbup:

A nice and unique way of presenting this review. We don't get much Aquashark review over in EB, and this is our first official review that has been added to our index. If you are interested to take part of the Reviewers Academy programme, feel free to sign up. Bonaparte and I will grant access to this hidden training ground.

Lastly, welcome to Eurobricks!

Love and enjoyed this review. It's now embedded into our index. :thumbup:

A nice and unique way of presenting this review. We don't get much Aquashark review over in EB, and this is our first official review that has been added to our index. If you are interested to take part of the Reviewers Academy programme, feel free to sign up. Bonaparte and I will grant access to this hidden training ground.

Lastly, welcome to Eurobricks!

I think I will do some more reveiws and then will enjoy the Reviewers Academy programme)

So, I have all Aquqazone sets and can make reveiws to all of them)

Thank you, thank you, thank you for reviewing this, I had never seen it before in my life, and to see it with such a great review is nice. Your skills are very good, you should enter the reviewers academy, I think you'd do well.

This is probably my favorite set among the entire Aquazone line. The sub looks very sleek and is shaped just like the shark the set comes with. It also has a lot of interior room and includes a large number of rare pieces. Most of the trans-orange windscreens are actually unique to this set, as are the blue BURP, black tail piece and printed 1x4x3 hinge panel. The only downside is that the "cave" is not much of a base at all. The blue crater baseplate is great, but they could have done a lot more with it.

The set was surprisingly cheap on ebay and BL a few years ago, and I got two unopened copies for around $35 each. The prices have gone up since then though.

Great review of a great set of yet another that I never knew existed until now! :grin:

The blue printed "moon" baseplate suits this set so well! I like how the designers used the craters as spots to place the plants. The bumpy part of the baseplate looks just like a dirt hill, too.

The blue BURP is beautiful. :wub:

Keep up the good reviews! :thumbup:

Edited by ILikePi