gollum 66

Why do so many of you hate Bionicle?

I don't usually respond to info/questions regarding Bionicle; because I can't say anything good about the theme, but I truly dislike Bionicle. I don't consider Bionicle Lego. The building system is something all together different. I don't like the story, and I never understood the fascination with the theme (even with young children). On any given day, I will check out the Lego SAH web site for sale items, and three fourths of the sets are Bionicle. I thinks it's a silly line and despite populatity, I don't care for them.

In addition to Bionicle, a few other themes I don't care for include the large Knights Kingdom figures (they remind me too much of Mega Block Super Heros), the Pirate 4+, and Jack Stone themes. These, I think, are Lego at it's worst quality and design. Comparing these sets to non-standard brick sets like Duplo, Duplo City, Castle, Bob the Builder, Thomas, and Dora, these are geared toward younger children, but very nicely done in quality and design. Bionicle on the other hand, will never be Lego in my opinion and among Lego's worst.

Sorry if this offends the Bionicle fans reading this, but it's my view of Bionicle.

I don't undersand it, it IS lego. Why do(almost) all of you hate bionicle?

How many users have outright said they hate Bionicle lately? Actually using the word "hate"?

Last user to give to give Bionicle a decent slamming was The Big Wolf (wolf04) and he hasn't posted in months.

Here's some of the highlights of his commentary

Here and here and my favourite here

Update

And this thread here contains non Wolf Bionicle hating.

"Hate" is the worst word ever invented by mankind, since its meaningless. For ages ago, I HATED anime, now Im an anime addict. You say you "hate" something, but when the opinion turns you are left embarassed, and often, people who change opinion mentally doesnt show it for others.

Sure, dislike is one thing, thats an opinion, but HATE is all about cleansing from the earth and aggressive protesting. Hate is shooting someone in the head, disliking is a democratic opinion. And people who act through hatred are best ridiculed, I think.

Hate haters. :P

Wayyy off-topic:

JINZONINGEN 73: I think it has to do were you live; in about every place in the world except perhaps the US and Italy, rightwing (US-style) opinions are considered gross and inhuman by the majority of old people and parents ;)

JINZONINGEN 73: I think it has to do were you live; in about every place in the world except perhaps the US and Italy, rightwing (US-style) opinions are considered gross and inhuman by the majority of old people and parents ;)

It's funny how right wingers are always accused of making broad brushstroke judgements.... :-D

It's funny how right wingers are always accused of making broad brushstroke judgements.... :-D

Do you mean I do that? Brushstrokes? Is that some sort of accusation?

Studying the world really doesnt pay off... Seriously, if people wont take me seriously I think Im best left with a bullet in my head...

I hope I misunderstood...

Im sure you were misunderstood.

BTW I usually do backstrokes ;)

KimT

Do you mean I do that? Brushstrokes? Is that some sort of accusation?

Studying the world really doesnt pay off... Seriously, if people wont take me seriously I think Im best left with a bullet in my head...

I hope I misunderstood...

I can see the point you are making I was merely quiping that describing the whole world as disagreeing with rightwing america is a big statement for one line. Eg if you mean the US is religious (or that's what I hear from the comfort of Ireland) then you have to consider that Europe is the only continent on the planet (bar antartica) that is not highly religious. If you mean they hold 'traditional values' and are not liberal in regards to being gay etc then you would have to say niether is the muslim world, africa, or many of asia's countries.... If you mean they are willing to go to war etc then again Europe is the exception to a global tendancy (and hasn't been for long). I was just trying to imply that saying the majority of old people/parents the world over consider 'us style' opinions inhuman may be a little rash.

Also, replying shows I took you seriously... if I didn't why bother?

Nathan

Im sure you were misunderstood.

BTW I usually do backstrokes ;)

KimT

That is a much better reply than mine : )

God Bless,

Nathan

No, I'm aware what the rest of the world percieves us as.

BZ's not really "right wing". It's more... "thought controlled".

To be called right wing, they'd have to have god references everywhere... but the fact is religion period is banned from the posting lexicon.

But I know what he meant. Everything is over-safe to the point of stagnation... though it's hard to apply that to JUST the right or JUST the left wing.

Anyway,

I have a hard time looking at ANY lego medium and say it's "not Lego".

You can be sure if there were a box of Duplo bricks dropped on my doorstep, that the next few humanoid mecha would SOMEHOW have them incorporated into it.

What the "system" guys miss as being a big attraction to Bionicle is the joints. System doesn't let you build fully functional action figures. Not without a decent amount of being clever.

The ball joints are all-important to having Lego step out of being just for non-moving sculptures.

And that's ok. I'd say Lego's had a pretty decent run of sculptures over the decades.

The funny thing is, they're Lego. Sculptures CAN have hidden mobility. Bionicle guys CAN be sculptures.

Here's an excellent example of a Bionicle parts-based sculpture:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=153227

Granted, there is SOME mobility, but as a statue, it is at it's best.

And alot of the parts used here are from Bionicle, not system sets.

I dare say this wouldn't have even been possible using just system.

Really, it's how you use it. Some people think better in a square, drafting plans type mindset, some people are better at a face in every cloud, jigsaw puzzle type mindset, and some can link the two (as I think the Thraxisjr moc up there shows) into some kind of incredible hybrid.

Bionicle's parts aren't as bad when you're not looking at gaudy action figures with cheesy gimmicks dangling off of them. They still pretty much break down into tiny Lego elements that can lock with any other Lego elements, and look like something 100% not meant for it's intended purpose.

top ten reasons to hate bionicles

10. they have peices with only one given use

9. they suck

8. they suck again

7: they have too many little sets

6: sets cant go together in many ways

5: too many ideas have been made for this theme

4: they are highly incompatible with system sets

3: they have been out for 5 years now,- way too long...

2: the theme sucks itself

1: the tao are communists

.1: the tao have strange controversial religious values

.9: they suck

.8: theysuck

.7: they suck

.6: *sick*

.5: *sick* *sick* *sick* *sick* *sick* *sick* *sick* *sick* *sick* *sick* *sick* *sick*

well that pretty much sums up the crappiness of bionicle in all there lame, crappy, sickening, *I wanted to say that this set contains a lot of big pieces but didn't want to take the time to write it all, so I used the word "<insert that tiresome argument>" instead* piece of garbage, waste of plastic manifestations.

well that pretty much sums up the crappiness of bionicle in all there lame, crappy, sickening, *I wanted to say that this set contains a lot of big pieces but didn't want to take the time to write it all, so I used the word "*I wanted to say that this set contains a lot of big pieces but didn't want to take the time to write it all, so I used the word "<insert that tiresome argument>" instead*" instead* piece of garbage, waste of plastic manifestations.

What a glorious EB arrival here john cleese :|

I don't particulary like Bionicle but its not a reason to bash it like you did >-|

Look at BFS, Jinzo's creations and tell them face to face that "they suck" !!

However, looking at your name, I just hope its some humour there ;) (even though its not very Monthy Pythonesque).

*yoda*

I think Cleese was being sarcastic, putting up multiple reasons that are the same and " *sick* " is a joke, and of course the classic "they are communists", the cold war version (and beyond) of "shes a witch", a classic sarcastic comment.

Im not completely on you with religious values though, since Bionicle is based on a real old religion. Specify!

Bionicle is the natural evoultion of the throwbots which were the adopted technic child. Technic being a part of the LEGO system or "family" since the 70's technically. ;)

Bionicle is like a cousin or step brother. To some it is unwanted and to other warmly welcomed into the fold.

I dislike the sets based on forced action figure moves. I hate (yes, hate) that my figure has gears inside it just so it can swing a sword thereby limiting the natural movement of the arm. I also dislike the fact that LEGO does not design sets with a "system" of sorts in mind. Parts like the majority of the Rakashi feel inferior in quality and are by far the worst quality color control I have seen in any LEGO product. I don't mind a slight variance in shade at all but the semi-transparent pink feet for the red Rakashi was too much for me. So for my own sake I will list the pros and cons for Bionicle.

Pros:

-unmatched posability in LEGO and in many cases any toy figure

-unique biomechanical look

-fun to pose/play with

-financial + for TLG

-can be used with technic and/or a technic base with system parts added

-huge variety in parts and colors not common to LEGO policy toward system sets

Cons:

-poorer quality color or parts

-to few or no connection points to use with system or technic

-forced action moves/ limited posability

-stale storylines/ characters (though it may be improving)

-not made with MOCers in mind (which I had never known LEGO had said until now but I could have told you anyway.)

Thus my conclusion. Bionicle is a wonderful opportunity for LEGO to place a competitive product into the hands of youngsters that will further promote the LEGO brand name and inspire creativity and building versus mind numbing in front of a TV. It is also a downfall as there are no steps to ensure long time fans or use of many of the sets/parts and has failed to produce parts with the intent of bridging the system or technic builders to itself. On the whole bionicle is needed for more than one reason. Yet, as long as LEGO continues to make single use pieces, not make more useful parts to bridge the gap between it's other products and alienates the builders who get bionicle for something other than a collectible or action figure it will still be a second or third rate product to the ever expanding well tested and creativity filled system/technic LEGO products.

top ten reasons to hate bionicles

10. they have peices with only one given use

9. they suck

8. they suck again

7: they have too many little sets

6: sets cant go together in many ways

5: too many ideas have been made for this theme

4: they are highly incompatible with system sets

3: they have been out for 5 years now,- way too long...

2: the theme sucks itself

1: the tao are communists

.1: the tao have strange controversial religious values

.9: they suck

.8: theysuck

.7: they suck

.6: *sick*

.5: *sick*  *sick*  *sick*  *sick*  *sick*  *sick*  *sick*  *sick*  *sick*  *sick*  *sick*  *sick*

well that pretty much sums up the crappiness of bionicle in all there lame, crappy, sickening, *I wanted to say that this set contains a lot of big pieces but didn't want to take the time to write it all, so I used the word "*I wanted to say that this set contains a lot of big pieces but didn't want to take the time to write it all, so I used the word "<insert that tiresome argument>" instead*" instead* piece of garbage, waste of plastic manifestations.

See people I told you people on eurobricks hate bionicle, but nooo the mods insisted that nobody hated it. |:| ;) I proved my point.

*gg* gollum *gg*

He wasn't here when I wrote that! Anyways, I said not that many hated it but pointed out instances of past Bionicle hating.

What we mean is not everybody hates Bionicle... In fact not many do, but obviously there are some users that hate Bionicle just like some users hate pirates (and are really annoyed with me for creating pirate fanaticism. :D )

But well all have our likes and dislikes...

See people I told you people on eurobricks hate bionicle, but nooo the mods insisted that nobody hated it. |:| ;) I proved my point.

*gg* gollum *gg*

Actually, your position was that most people on Eurobricks hate Bionicle. I still stand by my position that most people here simply don't care either way. Sure, there are a few vocal critics. That sort of negative diatribe is generally limited to fanatics rather than the fandom as a whole. But honestly, do you expect everybody here to espouse their undying love for Bionicle? Bionicle is simply too different for many fans.

Your really blowing this thing out of proportion. Simply because you love Bionicle doesn't mean that other LEGO fans hold the same view. And just because many fans don't share your passion, doesn't mean they hate Bionicle either. Whether you accept this is entirely up to you.

Later.

^^^ What blueandwhite said.

Hating is when you think Lego has no business making them.

Being indifferent is not hate.

I'd never buy DUPLO (at least I don't THINK I would), but I 100% understand it's purpose and place inside that which is Lego.

I don't "hate" it.

Cons:

-not made with MOCers in mind (which I had never known LEGO had said until now but I could have told you anyway.)

Yeah, hearing a Lego rep say it wasn't made with mocers in mind... kinda' shot me down a few notches on hopes of where the line was going and who on earth was now in charge of it. Luckily, whether or not the Lego guy was relaying info correctly, the new line is ripe with mocing promise.

-to few or no connection points to use with system or technic

-forced action moves/ limited posability

Both big annoyances. I hate geared "play features", especially when it omits movement for poses.

-poorer quality color or parts

That's hardly a Bionicle-only scenario though. They have alot of thin, experimental parts. Couple that with mass-production due to the demand, ...it's going to happen.

Remember that R2D2 set from a few years ago? The dark blue came in both solid dark blue, and this blatantly trans-dark blue.

http://brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1333560

And that occured in every set of R2D2 I got, both different types simultaneously packaged with each other. >__<

It's not hard to find color / quality anomalies in system parts if you search for it on Brickshelf. I know the system in my own parts bins have a few further examples.

This discussion on why to hate or not to hate Bionicle is really something - huh?

Bionicle = the LEGO everybody loves to hate or at least discuss? ;)

KimT

I don't like bionicle except for the Midgaard serpent, Nidhugg, Fenrir, Baby wyvern and Fafnir - wait could it be that I actually accept or even to some extent like Bionicle ;)

KimT