gollum 66

Why do so many of you hate Bionicle?

Umm... I don't hate bionicle. I like others, just have my prefered theme's. I haven't been on eurobricks very long, but i haven't seen anyone state that they "hate" bionicle. :o

That's simply not true dude. A couple of people have dissed Bionicle in posts now and then, but if you look at the non-system themes forum and responses to what serious Bionicle people have made (Jinzo, BFS, others), or reaction to the new sets, you will see that most people have no issues with Bionicle.

Those that say stupid stuff like "I hate bionicle", usually have never tried it for more than a few minutes. I too used to dislike Bionicle, until I had a fair chance to try to build with it. While I prefer Castle and non-bionicle Technic, I think Bionicle is just fine, and I am always impressed with what real builders do with it.

Now, if some 8 year old kid wants to prattle on about some irrelevant stuff like which of the 6 nearly identical Toa we like the best, we tend to ignore them, but unless they are being offensive or multiple post repetititively, we are tolerant.

We have a large group of excellent Bionicle MOC builders who have joined recently and are excellent EB members. One is a forum moderator. So, EB is definitely NOT an anti-Bionicle place.

A couple of times I have seen a couple of members go to the trouble of saying that they don't like Bionicle. The word "hate" is almost never used, and frankly some people here have stated that they "hate" Knights Kingdom, or "hate" Exo-Force, etc.

There's no hate in Legoland. Those that hate don't belong here. There are plenty of other forums where lots of hating is going on - they can go there.

One of the more useful sayings for life, I have found.

"If you have nothing good to say...... say nothing".

Well from what I've seen in my short time here is that the people who "hate" Bionicle are the brick purists who think anything more then the standard LEGO interlocking bricks just does not deserve to be LEGO.

It's really nothing to be concerned about. Every fandom has it's "originalists" who generally sneer at anything new or radically different from what they consider the pure heart of something. It's especially bad among Transformers fans. There is a large and vocal group who bow at the altar of the original Generation One (1984-1990) line...and to them anything since is just utter crap and will never be as good as "GeeWun!"

So just look at it this way...if there are people out there who "hate" Bionicle or raise hell whenever Bionicle pieces are used in regular sets, that just leaves more of those sets and Bionicle around for you to buy and enjoy nuts.GIF

I dont hate it, but I simply dont like it; They are too thin-looking and mechanic. Sure, thats the idea but its the same as when it comes to DBZ and me: I just dont like the style.

Also, from the day BZP went rightwing I didnt want to have anything to do with Bionicle, but thats another thing.

The minifig sets of 2006 seems interesting, though.

I don't "hate" Bionicle either, I just don't like it...

Even if it is a prodect of the Lego Company, I don't consider it to be "real Lego"... Lego bricks had always its own system (which is what made it being called "Lego System" :P) with its studs and such... The introduction of Technic sure brought some new ideas and elements to the Lego idea, but was still somehow very similar to Lego. But Bionicle is some abstraction of the Technic elements and there isn't really anything left that would make it real "Lego bricks" in my eyes... It works almost exclusive with ball joints and some technic axle connections, that means no studs left... And since the original 2x4 Lego brick introduced those small tiny studs most of us need to live I only consider those sets that connect mainly via studs real Lego! ;)

Another reason why I dislike Bionicle is that it lacks in my eyes the creative potential. Sure people can make great things of it (e.g. Bigfatslob or Jinzo), but the main idea behind the Bionicle product is not the constructive thought but even more the collection and the action figure aspect!

Whats to hate? Bionicle make alot of money.... And that means the Lego will do more System sets ;)

Whats to hate? Bionicle make alot of money.... And that means the Lego will do more System sets ;)

I don't think there is such link. The more Bionicle they sell, the more they are tempted to disregard System.

Yeah, I'd like to see Lego to license Bionicle to some other company.

Yeah, and I dislike studless technic, technic fairings and new NXT look. (Not to mention utter crap called Exo-Force and this year's Airport & Hospital stuff). Old fart, ya know.

Well from what I've seen in my short time here is that the people who "hate" Bionicle are the brick purists who think anything more then the standard LEGO interlocking bricks just does not deserve to be LEGO.

It's really nothing to be concerned about. Every fandom has it's "originalists" who generally sneer at anything new or radically different from what they consider the pure heart of something. It's especially bad among Transformers fans. There is a large and vocal group who bow at the altar of the original Generation One (1984-1990) line...and to them anything since is just utter crap and will never be as good as "GeeWun!"

So just look at it this way...if there are people out there who "hate" Bionicle or raise hell whenever Bionicle pieces are used in regular sets, that just leaves more of those sets and Bionicle around for you to buy and enjoy nuts.GIF

Well, I am one of those "brick purists". And yes, for me LEGO and Bionicle are two separte things.

Still, I don't 'hate' Bionicle. Much like technic, I am simply indifferent to it. Heck, on occasion I may use a few technic/boinicle elements to enhance a MOC. I can also appreciate that some fans won't even go that far. Its all relative. I think the word 'hate' is often misused by fans to describe persons who don't share their enthusiasm. We each have our preferences in life, and it seems natural that we should want others to share them with. Unfortunately, this often leads to overenthusiasm or unnecessary hostility. Fans often mistake indifference with distain. I'm glad that Bionicle has its fanbase, just as I am pleased that people building models with technic to be enjoyable.

The truth is, there are fanatics on both sides of the fence. Those individuals fail to appreciate that their opinions are not the opinions of others, yet they persist in a futile attempt to impose their will on the fandom at large. I may not share your views, or the views of many others, but that does not make them any less valid. At the same time, Bionicle fans shouldn't feel put off by my position, or the position of other so-called "brick purists" (we exist in varying forms). If someone doesn't like Bionicle, that is their choice. Remember, a person's reasons for disliking something can be just as valid as your reasons for liking that same something. Its only when the fan becomes fanatical, and trys to impose his or her views on others that problems arise.

(Ironically, I am a huge fan of G1 (well up to the movie at any rate)).

Later.

1) i was impressed by the first generation of bionicle sets! i never bought any but they looked great, since then, i feel the story is lost somewhere. sets lost their simplicity, now they're basically a collection of weird parts....

2) it's not really a question of appreciation. i just grew up with the good old fashioned minifig world and i guess the gap to bionicle is just too deep... i'm totaly focused on minifigs, that's it. there's just no room anymore for bionicle in my heart...

3) Eb never was a bionicle website. most of the active members here are just not particularly interested in bionicle, so we never really bothered creating bionicle topics. we just don't care about it, but if you do, just go ahead and post topics... Most of us will simply ignore them, but that's it. no hard feelings... :P

People may not think Bionicle is proper Lego. But there is NO denying it that the story is clever (okay, maybe it has changed a lot since '01) and the figures are quite cool. It might not be seen by AFOLs as a Lego series. But that's fine. If we're being honest, I agree it isn't like other Lego. But it doesn't have to be. It's new, people like it, nobody's losing anything, and we're all happy, like the series or not. Don't like it? Then ignore it. Keep away from the Bionicle boards, just don't post just to say things like "I don't like it, I don't like any other set.". There's NO point in that. If you're one of them, keep to your Castle. Or Space. Or Town. WHATEVER.

TT

Every fandom has it's "originalists" who generally sneer at anything new or radically different from what they consider the pure heart of something.

Before I'm completely labeled...

I don't like Bionicle either... for abstract reasons of my own that I probably can't back up I don't consider it Lego. It is a building medium, I just think of it as distinct from mine, and as such fear encroachment ; ) Best of luck with your plastic junk*.

God Bless,

Nathan

*please note the wide applicability...

I don't HATE bionicle, I just greatly dislike it  :-D

I completely agree with that. Just not my kind of theme. Then again, I don't like Technic either :)

Don't like it? Then ignore it. Keep away from the Bionicle boards, just don't post just to say things like "I don't like it, I don't like any other set.". There's NO point in that. If you're one of them, keep to your Castle. Or Space. Or Town. WHATEVER.

TT

Of course, when the thread asks "why do so many of you hate Bionicle?", it seems rather silly to 'keep away'. In all likelihood, I wouldn't have posted in this forum had the question not been asked. I respect that you like Bionicle, but this question was open to other fans as well.

Later.

People may not think Bionicle is proper Lego. But there is NO denying it that the story is clever (okay, maybe it has changed a lot since '01) and the figures are quite cool.

What's so good about the story? It's just the classic battle between good and evil, just like KK2 is all about :| .

The books can be interesting. Certainly much deeper than KK, which is totally cheesy. The previews from the current collection are startling. More violent than usual for Lego - not that I think that's good, necessarily.

To put it simple - I find Bionicle "the black sheep" of LEGO. To most it looks like a money making machine with simple and somewhat ugly action figures and therefore not LEGO. On the other hand - LEGO must be doing something right since it's one of the best selling products they ever had. The bricks are plastic and of LEGO's regular quality = "real" LEGO.

What many dislike is that you build a something-something bionicle beast and you're done. Then you might as well have bought an action man or the like. That's what I don't like about it.

What I do find intriguing is all those great MOCs being made. But that won't make me buy bionicle (except for the new MF sized sets *wub* ). It's just not system enough for me :)

KimT [a non bionicle fan - but not the hateful kind ;) ]

To put it simple - I find Bionicle "the black sheep" of LEGO. To most it looks like a money making machine with simple and somewhat ugly action figures and therefore not LEGO.

Nah, that was Galidor lol. I think they were even made in China (could be wrong).

Well, I'm a Bionicle guy, and it's Bionicle that REALLY dragged me into Lego in 2001.

But your critiques are somewhat valid, you brick guys.

If you look at Bionicle mocs being made NOW as opposed to mocs from like 2 or 3 years ago, they have, for the most part, gone down in creativity.

There is NO doubt in my mind that this is due to the adoptions of GIANT parts. But not just giant parts, ones that have a lack of connection points with which to connect to other pieces. Swords are a good example. Back in 2001, only one of the 6 Toa guys had a "real" weapon, a sword. He became wildly popular, no doubt due to the fact the character was a Clint Eastwood clone. A few years later, nearly every "canister" figure had GIANT silver weapons included. Nice, and welcome, but TOO MUCH. Now, it's hard to find mocs that aren't dripping with silver swords. They all look the same, and creativity has fallen over.

Also, parts that are "bent" (usually leg pieces) which wrap around to the sides, to hide the fact they're hollow. "Bulking" these parts up is a hard thing to do indeed. So unfortunately, more often than not, they are used almost exclusively as leg pieces. I personally am bugged by this as much as say, the way system mech builders use CLICK-bricks as knee joints. X D

Buuuuuut, I'm hopeful. The 2006 line looks a bit more "useful" than the past 2 or 3 years of Bionicle.

They can do themselves well to have ALL these new parts from this new wave be available in other colors, just as the "mask packs" from 2001 got kids thinking creatively.

So yeah, for now, Bionicle IS pretty much just there to make money (and it does). But a REAL moc'er can see past that, past themes and such.

Heck, I'd sooner kick my kittens out into the middle of a highway than suggest Lego rerelease Galidor and Z'Nap, but I'm not quite ignorant enough to not employ choice pieces from their lines.

The nice thing about Technic (which separates it from the above 2 monstrosities) is that you can effectively hide it inside system, while adding playability to it.

The Hordesman Posted: Jan 9 2006, 09:15 AM

Also, from the day BZP went rightwing I didnt want to have anything to do with Bionicle, but thats another thing.

I understand why they did. For the most part, "left wing" views scare parents and grannies more than right wing ones do, as far as what they want their kids seeing / reading when they're not there.

My bugaboo with BZ is that ever since a Lego rep said to me that "Bionicle is not aimed at moc'ers" (or something close), now EVERY time I critique a new set in regards to mocing use, I get kids saying "Blah blah said Bionicle isn't done with moc'ers in mind, JINZO!"

Yeah, so like... NO.

Action figures are popular, then die off when kids get too old (usually).

But approached from a mocer stanpoint, you might have a customer straight through into late adulthood.

See I don't dislike Bionicle too much.

Heck I used to buy it.

But I prefer System and when I realised getting rid of ALL my bits would stop me buying more I did.

I don't particularly like it, but the Viking Dragons show that the 2 can combine.

If you look at Bionicle mocs being made NOW as opposed to mocs from like 2 or 3 years ago, they have, for the most part, gone down in creativity.

Funny you say that. I was thinking the same as I browsed through the list of BBC winners from which I posted a few links yesterday.