Captain Zuloo

'Behind The Helm' Episode #12 - Jamie Berard (Part 1)

traintech1.jpg

behindthehelmet%20copy.png

Yargh, welcome to Episode #12 of 'Behind The Helm'. Wrong forum ye say? Nope, this is a very different sort of interview. We were offered the chance to interview a very interesting LEGO builder, and although not Pirate based, a very interesting talk. I'm talking about designer of 10194 Emerald Night and 10182 Cafe Corner, Jamie Berard. Unfortunately Cutlass_Iz was unable to join us for this interview, but it was still very exciting to talk to a LEGO designer. We spoke for so long that I had to break this episode into 2 parts! This is the first. Enjoy. :wink:

Listen to 'Behind The Helm' Episode #12 - Jamie Berard

Download 'Behind The Helm' Episode #12 - Jamie Berard (Right click and "Save Target As..")

This interview has a fairly long running time, so I didn't ask Cutlass_Iz to type it out, that would have been just mean. :laugh: Anyhow, I hope you guys enjoy it, please leave some feedback as it helps us improve the show.

All the best!

Captain Z contacted me before this interview to give me an opportunity to develop some questions for Jamie, on behalf of the EB Train Tech community, so a big thank you for that Z!

While he wasn't able to ask all the questions; due to the duration of the interview, he did get the majority of the important ones in there (and they were multiple part questions, so TheBrickster is happy). :classic: I also snuck one in relating to 9V (we should never stop trying).

I found Jamie's responses very thorough in addition to him being very down to Earth, for such a great designer.

This is a fantastic interview, and I enjoyed listening Z. Great job on this! :thumbup:

Interesting, looking forward to hearing through this. :thumbup:

Not sure if it's intended or not, but your two links point to the exact same url, you might want to fix that :wink:

Wow, great interview guys! Ever since I saw the modular house sets in my LEGO catalogs, I've always wanted to know more about the designer.

I also noticed that the theme music has been shortened. Thanks for doing that!

I would love to see more of these non-Pirates Behind the Helm interviews in the future (maybe Steen Sig Andersen, the person who designed the Volkswagen Beetle?)! :classic:

I'm only halfway into the interview, so I'll edit this post/make another one when I'm finished.

No wagons for the Emerald Night? I understand the reasoning that Jamie mentioned, but it's still disappointing. I wasn't going to buy several copies of the full set just for more wagons, figuring they would be available later for a quarter of the price. Now I guess I have to :sceptic:

I am deaf. How do I get the interview so I can read it?

Thanks,

Bruce

Thanks,

Bruce

He said that ths will not be writen since its too long.

Fantastic interview with an insight into a Lego builders journey. Thank you so much for going to the trouble of including TheBricksters questions too. Where to now for "Behind The Helm"?

Thanks,

Bruce

Perhaps Captain Zuloo could paraphase the jist of the interview for you Bruce.

Captain Z contacted me before this interview to give me an opportunity to develop some questions for Jamie, on behalf of the EB Train Tech community, so a big thank you for that Z!

While he wasn't able to ask all the questions; due to the duration of the interview, he did get the majority of the important ones in there (and they were multiple part questions, so TheBrickster is happy). :classic: I also snuck one in relating to 9V (we should never stop trying).

I found Jamie's responses very thorough in addition to him being very down to Earth, for such a great designer.

This is a fantastic interview, and I enjoyed listening Z. Great job on this! :thumbup:

There is still part 2 to come though, and more of your questions were in there! :pir-wink:

Not sure if it's intended or not, but your two links point to the exact same url, you might want to fix that :wink:

Intended, but thanks for pointing it out anyway. :classic:

Thanks,

Bruce

Sorry Bruce, I didn't even consider this. Being 54 minutes in length (part 1 and 2) it is a little long to type, but in the coming week(s) I should be able to find time to write up the questions and a summary of Jamie's answers and email to you. If you'd like to email me at news-coordinator@classic-pirates.com so I have your address, I should be able to send you a shorter version of the interview in text format. :wink:

I just finished listening to it - nice interview, Captain Zuloo!

I really like the question about the dining car being released as a separate set. Well, I for one would much rather have an Imperial Flagship, Tantive IV, Winter Toy Shop, Medieval Market Village, Republic Dropship with AT-OT Walker, etc. instead of getting the wagon separately released. :tongue:

I can't wait to read the second part! :sweet:

I also can't believe that you would decide to split it into two parts just to annoy us. :hmpf:

:laugh:

Nice to hear about the set design process (even though I imagined most of what it would look like). The heat-testing part was a surprise though... :grin:

I just finished listening to it - nice interview, Captain Zuloo!

I really like the question about the dining car being released as a separate set. Well, I for one would much rather have an Imperial Flagship, Tantive IV, Winter Toy Shop, Medieval Market Village, Republic Dropship with AT-OT Walker, etc. instead of getting the wagon separately released. :tongue:

Thanks! :classic: In my opinion a wagon would have been a much better set than a Tantive IV or a Republic Dropship with AT-OT Walker, but I'd prefer the imperial ship to the wagon. It all depends on who you talk to, but in the end I suppose TLG do need to profit at some point.

I also can't believe that you would decide to split it into two parts just to annoy us. :hmpf:

:laugh:

The fact that the running time was 54 minutes also played a pretty big part in that decision. :tongue:

A very nice interview, I'm happy that there's more on the way! I like how Jamie gives detailed answers which answer what you ask, and doesn't give you any bureaucratic nonsense. It's so good that he's willing to spend some time informing the community about his work!

Keep up the good work Capt. Zuloo :thumbup:

Wow, nice 'Behind The Helm' Episode this time.

You've told me you've had something good in mind for this Episode and By Jove, you were right!

Keep on making them :thumbup: !

Thanks - really interesting interview. It's great to hear from the guy who designed some of my favourite sets (Cafe Corner, Emerald Night).

He certainly helped me understand why we haven't seen extra wagons for Emerald Night. I previously thought that Lego were missing a trick - many of us would have bought a couple of extra wagons I think - but now I understand that they can only release a few sets a year, and that extra wagons would be competing with Medieval Market Village etc.....

Looking forward to part 2.

Dr. D.

Just listened through both parts, very nice, very good answers from Jamie. :thumbup: Wonder how you'll be able to top this :laugh: And I have to agree about the 1x1 headlight brick being the best brick, it's my favourite too :blush:

Grrrrrrr! You weren't supposed to hear part 2 yet! :angry:

Some people... :hmpf::laugh:

Then you shouldn't have put it online :tongue:

I loved part one and I'm looking forward to the 2nd part. I'm curious to find out which questions you and TheBrickster have in store for us. There are a few in my mind that I hoping for in the next episode.

You did a great job Captain Zuloo and a big thanks to Jamie for the very elaborate and detailed answers. I shall follow his advise and visit Billund next year in April (as our Eurobricks event will be in Billund) and maybe I've got a chance to meet him and some other designers next weekend at LEGO World (I'll be there on Sunday).

Grrrrrrr! You weren't supposed to hear part 2 yet! :angry:

Weren't we? Oh... sorry for that... :tongue:

By the way... THANKS Capn Z :]

Thanks,

Bruce

Well I'm not deaf but I have a problem with my soundcard so I'm also not able to listen to it.

Awesome! [/sarcasm]

Well I'm not deaf but I have a problem with my soundcard so I'm also not able to listen to it.

Awesome! [/sarcasm]

:hmpf: I'm glad you liked it. Only a few hours until Episode #12 - Jamie Berard (Part 2) is released... :laugh:

:hmpf: I'm glad you liked it. Only a few hours until Episode #12 - Jamie Berard (Part 2) is released... :laugh:

I wish I could say I liked it ;) Maybe I schould've typed it like this:

[sarcasm]Awesome![/sarcasm]