Jamy

Differences Between 6285 and 10040

Is it true that the cannons in 6285 are shootable were in 10040 are not??!!

Depends. 6285's sold in the US do not have shooting cannons. The sets sold in the rest of the world do shoot.

I bought all of the first Pirate sets back in 1989 here in the US and all of them had the shooting cannons- I believe they were phased out the next year, with "fixed" shooters. Then they went with a new, one-piece mold that lasted through the rest of the Classic Pirate line. As far as the piece count difference between the original and the Legends one, I'm not sure since I do not own the Legends BSB. However, back in the day, minifigures were packed with their heads pre-assembled to the torso, making two parts counted as one- that could explain part of the difference.

We discussed this in depth a few years back and here's a precise list of the part differences.

In fact, I shall merge these two threads in the near future since there's little point having two on the same topic.

You are exactly right. The Legends line was the hope to bring back retired sets for nostalgic purposes. The odd thing is it wasn't very successful. I'd love to be able to buy some of those older sets new!

I do have the original BSB and have it built on display. It definitely looks its age, but still nice to have.

I think they did too much at once and tried to do it as a regular retail release. Legends would probably work if they stuck to the classic Flagship sets and Limited it to one or two D2C limited release sets per year. Plus it might do a little better in today's environment.

We can always dream of a new release of the Skulls Eye Schooner or such. Sadly after the last try it probably will not happen :(